Childress Klein/Ram South End Tower - Lowe's anchored (23 floors - 357')

KJHburg

On 11/4/2021 at 12:15 PM, KJHburg said:

I think we talked about this a while back but here is the official annoucement of Outdoor Voices opening its first store in NC at Lowes tower.

Outdoor Voices is opening in South End - Axios Charlotte

Following the announcement of Outdoor Voices on instagram, Axios says it received a flood of posts inquiring about Zara in Charlotte.  Article link below.  What I found interesting was the mention of an outdoor retail village like the Charlotte equivalent of Atlanta's Buckhead Village District as a potential site for a local Zara.  Hadn't heard of the Buckhead Village District before, so decided to take a google maps tour.  I was impressed, and wholeheartedly believe Charlotte is sorely missing a similar retail concept: Buckhead Village District - Google Search

Not sure about anyone else, but Southpark Mall strikes me as such an outdated setup for a flourishing city like Charlotte, and while I understand brick-and-mortar retail has seen better days, I can't help but think that a Village District design in Charlotte, closer in to city center, is overdue and would invite a lot of people back to brick-and-mortar retail because of the experiential, street-to-sidewalk, placemaking elements of the design.

When is Charlotte getting a Zara? - Axios Charlotte

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2

When I go to NYC I go to the Zara on Broadway at 65th. Two months ago I was there and the mens department in the basement (not unusual, Montréal is same way) the fitting room was closed. I went to a quiet corner of the department and removed my shirt and tried the sweater I chose. I would have done pants too if I had to. No tax on clothing in NY for items under 110$

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Rufus said:

A couple of points: 

1. Atlanta is 2x the size of Charlotte

2. Atlanta has more wealth than Charlotte 

3. Atlanta has a more established luxury retail sector

I would love to see something like Highland Park Village, River Oaks, Buckhead Village, Americana Manhasset, CityCenter DC here in Charlotte. Truly. I can't wait for the moment we cross that threshold. But the retailers there are uber-exclusive to regions. And they have a business model that I don't think can be supported here in Charlotte. Again, my points aren't to knock Charlotte. We are developing in the right direction, just not there yet. 

Point well taken, and I'm not a retail-demographer by any stretch of the imagination, but was more focused on the outdoor design than on the opportunity to luxuriate.

Notwithstanding the global luxury retail in Atlanta, I can't imagine the outdoor retail design of Buckhead Village District is beyond Charlotte's reach, unless the suggestion is out there that walkable, outdoor retail at scale is for uber high-enders only.

Even Jacksonville, FL has the St. Johns Town Center: St. Johns Town Center jacksonville - Google Search

Not holding up St. Johns as the complete model for what we want here, but there are very walkable, outdoor components even though its broader context is suburban and car-centric.

The town center's core has a boutique, shopping village feel where its main anchors reside.  That outdoor, boutique-village stretch does a decent job of place-making, and has created a draw for residents looking to pleasure walk, people watch, while spontaneously popping into an array of venues if so moved.  If Jax can do this, Charlotte can 100%. 

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, RANYC said:

Point well taken, and I'm not a retail-demographer by any stretch of the imagination, but was more focused on the outdoor design than on the opportunity to luxuriate.

Notwithstanding the global luxury retail in Atlanta, I can't imagine the outdoor retail design of Buckhead Village District is beyond Charlotte's reach, unless the suggestion is out there that walkable, outdoor retail at scale is for uber high-enders only.

Even Jacksonville, FL has the St. Johns Town Center: St. Johns Town Center jacksonville - Google Search

Not holding up St. Johns as the complete model for what we want here, but there are very walkable, outdoor components even though its broader context is suburban and car-centric.

The town center's core has a boutique, shopping village feel where its main anchors reside.  That outdoor, boutique-village stretch does a decent job of place-making, and has created a draw for residents looking to pleasure walk, people watch, while spontaneously popping into an array of venues if so moved.  If Jax can do this, Charlotte can 100%. 

With St. Johns in particular, the two architecture firms who worked on that center are here in Charlotte. It could be done here fairly easily.

Edited by Madison Parkitect
  • Like 3

If Zara comes to Charlotte it will probably go to Southpark Mall.  and that mall are A+ mall is not going away for it is too successful.    It would be nice to have more retail in southend and especially uptown.    I think Southend is already including the new Lowes tenants turning into a hip shopping area if you ask me.   But what do I know as a mere doughnut exec who dabbles in real estate LOL 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, RANYC said:

ns Town Center: St. Johns Town Center jacksonville - Google Search

Sure, but look at all that surface parking. At least SouthPark better uses its space. I will say, it would be interesting to see a North Hills-type development in the city. I'm just not sure SE is where it'll be. 

Ok, back on topic! 

• Like 1

Myself and others are still hoping for a stroll/retail district to organically unfold in SE, and I would think with this latest push of development it would definitely aid in it’s creation. 

South End is Charlotte’s chance to create what Uptown could’ve been. I just hope SE can continue to reel in more retail and dining options, and hopefully establish some more nightlife options that aren’t just breweries. 

• Like 3

On 11/5/2021 at 4:15 PM, RANYC said:

Fairfax County’s Mosaic District is a much more impressive example to emulate https://mosaicdistrict.com/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCMetroRaleigh said:

Fairfax County’s Mosaic District is a much more impressive example to emulate https://mosaicdistrict.com/

Love it.  Point is, Charlotte's retail scene needs and deserves a built-out, fully intentional outdoor stroll district, at least several blocks in size.  I have a hunch that we're big enough to support it.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JacksonH said:

Big booboo on Wikipedia.  On the tallest buildings in North Carolina page, this building is shown to have been built in 1986 and to be located in Durham!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_North_Carolina

Screenshot_20211121-084902_Chrome.jpg

17fl 186 Durham. That's actually info for Durham's University Tower aka the "The Big Green Pickle."

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...