Childress Klein/Ram South End Tower - Lowe's anchored (23 floors - 357')

KJHburg

3 minutes ago, CLT_sc said:

I don’t see the two story brick retail on the corner of Camden and West being there long term...unless something odd happens.  Is this where a hotel will go or will it be in the vacant lot fronting West?  

When you look at google maps, the bakery is sitting on a ton of cash.  They have to be thinking about selling that and moving these operations.  

That retail will remain for a while. It offers a lot of value to Asana in the current state. Its extremely unique. 

The Hotel will be the vacant lot facing West and Hawkins. Its been at least 3 hotel proposals over the years, and it seems like RAM is starting to get itself a pretty good development team together. So I'd think there's a high likelihood. This is where West Elm Hotel would have been, despite reports saying it'd have fronted Camden.

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

That retail will remain for a while. It offers a lot of value to Asana in the current state. Its extremely unique. 

The Hotel will be the vacant lot facing West and Hawkins. Its been at least 3 hotel proposals over the years, and it seems like RAM is starting to get itself a pretty good development team together. So I'd think there's a high likelihood. This is where West Elm Hotel would have been, despite reports saying it'd have fronted Camden.

Will the hotel have some height or just enough to cover the parking garage?

8 minutes ago, CLT_sc said:

Will the hotel have some height or just enough to cover the parking garage?

Doubt it'll have much height. West Elm was around 8 floors, there was a very cool mid century modern hotel proposed in the early to mid aughts, that was 6-8 floors. I wish those renderings existed on the internet somewhere. 

Edited by Guest

15 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Doubt it'll have much height. West Elm was around 8 floors, there was a very cool mid century modern hotel proposed in the early to mid aughts, that was 6-8 floors. I wish those renderings existed on the internet somewhere. 

6-8 would be perfect, hope it is a really cool building.  

1 minute ago, CLT_sc said:

6-8 would be perfect, hope it is a really cool building.  

It'll likely match the aesthetic of the rest of Design Center, brick, concrete, steel, glass.

Just now, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

It'll likely match the aesthetic of the rest of Design Center, brick, concrete, steel, glass.

I would like that if they also match the heavy black window trim of the nearby buildings.  Not sure of the timing, but once the bakery sells, that has the potential to be another transformational project in Southend.  

1800 Camden at the corner of Camden and West Blvd is an office condo.  So you would have to buy each individual owner out which is possible but it is difficult if one refuses.  I think this would be around for a long time.   It looks like Asana owns some of the office condos there but not all. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, CLT_sc said:

I would like that if they also match the heavy black window trim of the nearby buildings.  Not sure of the timing, but once the bakery sells, that has the potential to be another transformational project in Southend.  

The owner has shown up to plenty of Neighborhood meetings. They are fairly motivated to move their operations. They can start over in any surrounding county for the amount of money they will get selling their land, and they'll have cheaper upkeep, less traffic to deal with, and a modern factory.

46 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

1800 Camden at the corner of Camden and West Blvd is an office condo.  So you would have to buy each individual owner out which is possible but it is difficult if one refuses.  I think this would be around for a long time.   It looks like Asana owns some of the office condos there but not all. 

...yet

So, it was built as office and retail condos by MECA.  Asana has been buying up all that hit the market, approaching owners about selling.  Ideally they would like to own all the units.

I hope they use it going forward like they used the space for Design Within Reach, which was sort of like temp space while they developed permanent space for them.  Having temp or incubator space for tenants looking at South End would be a great use.

Longer term, that is a prime intersection, so who know, but I'm sure Asana would like that option.

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Yea, if it has multiple owners, it will be there a while.  

all it takes is one holdout. an old condo community in Raleigh was 1 unit away from selling it they held their ground and the entire deal fell apart.   Never say never I would say it will be awhile on that corner.  Put this on your 20 year worry list but not right now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cadi40 said:

I’d love to see a West Elm or maybe a W Hotel in SouthEnd. SouthEnd is becoming its own attraction separate from Uptown and I think it has the customer base to support those types of hotels.

West Elm is more comparable to the Moxy, which would also work in SouthEnd. W Hotels are more upscale and comparable to the Ritz or JW, Uptown is more suited for that. 

3 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

West Elm is more comparable to the Moxy, which would also work in SouthEnd. W Hotels are more upscale and comparable to the Ritz or JW, Uptown is more suited for that. 

I feel like Hilton's Canopy would fit well in South End, especially with all the offices being added. Certainly makes more sense for the brand to be in South End than in an office park in SouthPark.

4 hours ago, atlrvr said:

So, it was built as office and retail condos by MECA.  Asana has been buying up all that hit the market, approaching owners about selling.  Ideally they would like to own all the units.

I hope they use it going forward like they used the space for Design Within Reach, which was sort of like temp space while they developed permanent space for them.  Having temp or incubator space for tenants looking at South End would be a great use.

Longer term, that is a prime intersection, so who know, but I'm sure Asana would like that option.

Fifth Third is taking the old DWR and old candle bar space :(

4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

all it takes is one holdout. an old condo community in Raleigh was 1 unit away from selling it they held their ground and the entire deal fell apart.   Never say never I would say it will be awhile on that corner.  Put this on your 20 year worry list but not right now. 

Depends on the condo docs.  In the Midwest and on the West coast, it is pretty common to have a provision allowing a super majority of condo owners force a sale of the remaining units.  It is admittedly less common in the South, but I am sure it exists. 

48 minutes ago, pgsinger said:

Depends on the condo docs.  In the Midwest and on the West coast, it is pretty common to have a provision allowing a super majority of condo owners force a sale of the remaining units.  It is admittedly less common in the South, but I am sure it exists. 

Never heard of that around here but each condo document could be set up that way I guess but I have never heard of that in NC

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TCLT said:

I feel like Hilton's Canopy would fit well in South End, especially with all the offices being added. Certainly makes more sense for the brand to be in South End than in an office park in SouthPark.

Canopy provides for some leniency in terms of brand standards, so that could be a possibility for South End given the general feel of the neighborhood. They may even provide some key money.

South End will see a ‘real’ hotel soon enough, although it is going to skew more toward the select service side than any higher end, full service offering. At this stage of the cycle, any developer (especially in South End) needs to have a brand to drive room nights. The South End office pipeline is incredibly supportive of future hotel demand.

5 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

No way will a West Elm gets capitalized in South End. Not even by the most aggressive of the debt funds.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TCLT said:

I have heard rumors that a Canopy SE is in the works

• Like 4