ONE22ONE, 25 stories, 356', 357,000 sq. ft. office space, 6,700 q. ft. ground floor retail

markhollin

Most of the retail in the core did go out of business or moved to the burbs. It was just a diferent kind of business that was in the core after that. If you remember in the 70s most downtowns with the exception of the very large urban cities were dead cores, especially after 5PM. In the 50s, those same cities were alive and vibrant at day and night shopers and movie goers.

It went from retail centric to corporate and government centric work atleast in Nashville anyway. Others cities were different while others still have yet to recover from the exodus of 60s and 70s.

Now its changing once again with a mix of the above, residential, tourist, and mixed use.

6 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

So true. Most of those surface parking lots had dense development on them before the 1950s. So businesses downtown desperate to stay in business needed ample parking, and still it didn't stop so many from going out of business or having to move out of the core. 

I mis read, but I think my post backs yours up.LOL.

• Like 2

I tend to agree that we won’t be careless society or even city, especially with our recent history of public transit. Wouldn’t be wonderful if zoning could change to require or strongly encourage underground parking OR if the bonus  height program could be revised so developers only get extra height if they do underground parking. 

i know this will ultimately drive up development costs, but it could be a good middle ground between the no parking and all the parking crowds

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/23/2019 at 8:23 PM, downtownresident said:

I came across something of interest while reading the Downtown Design Committee staff report on this building. Under the "Unique Architecture" section, it states that the parking floors are designed in a way that allows conversion to other uses in the future. Maybe allow a developer extra "bonus height" if they design the parking pedestal to be converted to a different use should commuting habits change in the future.

Some developers in other cities are actually considering this prior to construction. I was just up in Boston for the holiday and was reading about the redevelopment of the Hood Industrial Park is building level parking plates on the UPPER floors of the development so that they can be converted to office or lab space in the future. Granted this development is also being designed to have larger towers built on top of it, but that is a different matter. 

This is the forward thinking that our city needs to find and if they want to subsidize/incentivize parking for developers the requirements should make it harder and require more imaginative then just creating a massive brick at the base of the building.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...