Sign in to follow this  
gman430

Berkshire Hathaway building redevelopment downtown.

6 hours ago, apaladin said:

Memo to WSPA the SJJ museum and Fluor Field are not in West Greenville. :fun:

I still have to refer to another source to remember if the name of the arts district is "West End Village" or "Village of West Greenville".   So that is further confusion for the "West End" that covers the SJJ Museum.  I don't see the name "West End" used as often as in the past, probably because it no longer feels like "The end of the west side".

You may also point out that the apartments are not the "Green Apartments", they're the "Greene Apartments".  

The commercial corridor in West Greenville - the Arts district - Is The Village of West Greenville" or just The Village. People do refer to it as The West Village, West End Village, etc. Just will take time to get people to understand the proper term and the difference between West End and The Village of West Greenville. https://www.villagewgvl.com/  

Saw these plans from this Charlotte developer, and I see it has a lot of support , it is better than what is there now, and it could be a lot worse...but I still thought of this article:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2019-02-13/why-america-s-new-apartment-buildings-all-look-the-same

First, it's a missed opportunity by not making the entire first level retail and / or full-kitchen restaurants - and not just "four retail spaces." Just go to an Atlanta Braves game at their new stadium and witness the tremendous energy around that ballpark with all the restaurants, bars and shops - and not only on game days. 

Second, What do you think our downtown will look like in 20 years? Will we be proud of this current building-boom? Do you think our children, or our children's children will look at these buildings in 20-30 years and say, "Wow, when times were good they really flexed some serious architecture, art, and created these tremendous long-lasting buildings that will stand the test of time!" Or do you think they'll say, "Look at all these falling apart, short-sighted, look-alike developments that we have to now flatten and re-build upon. Wasted time, money, talent, and resources. Good job, Grandma and Grandpa." Or, maybe you don't care. That's cool, too. Honestly, I don't know. I hope it is the former, but have doubts that this hope will remain as certain as time passes.