The McClaren

vicupstate

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thing is a behemoth when viewed from outbound Academy Street. It will be nice to have the ARC property & Especially Auto redeveloped into something that will help visually block that long facade. 

Anyhow, it's going to be a great location for people looking to rent and the added population in the West End should help sustain businesses on that end of downtown. 

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, GVLer said:

I really do hate to be negative, but does everyone else dislike the checkerboard exterior?

I don't know that I necessarily dislike it, but I do think it's a cheap attempt to add some interest to what is otherwise just another box.  And speaking of, as I have to drive by Ms. McLaren there at least a couple of times a month, I've given her a first name.  I think of her as Big, Boxy Betty whenever I see her looming in the distance down Academy.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
57 minutes ago, apaladin said:

Noooo."………..We have no visible cranes up in Greenville for the first time in years!! Say it ain’t so Joe!

If all of these stalled projects downtown would ever start construction we could see a few. Hopes and dreams I guess. 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 12:33 AM, apaladin said:

Noooo."………..We have no visible cranes up in Greenville for the first time in years!! Say it ain’t so Joe!

We DO still have the tower crane at the Grand Bohemian for the time being. Like all projects, it depends on where you are in order to see it. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

McClaren revisions

Looks like the rooftop restaurant will be office space now (co-work it appears). 

That's a little disappointing.  It seems that the market is better for co-work than restaurants, maybe its all of the remote workers from more expensive cities coming here?  I would imagined the restaurant had they made it would have good views of unity park.  This place is massive.

8 minutes ago, gvegascple said:

That's a little disappointing.  It seems that the market is better for co-work than restaurants, maybe its all of the remote workers from more expensive cities coming here?  I would imagined the restaurant had they made it would have good views of unity park.  This place is massive.

Yeah, as one planning to apply for this building whenever applications are open, it's disappointing to hear to say the least. Still looking forward to the food hall concept at the ground level though! That said, I question the long-term viability of all these co-working spaces, but I've yet to visit one. Spaces at Camperdown is open, I wonder how they're doing. 

• Like 1

Looking at the plans, there's no way that's a co-working space. Definitely looks like a law office or bank office to me.  You could even pull off a corporate HQ that has its employees de-centralized and only executives and vital support staff located centrally.  I have a feeling that if approved, this revision will coincide with an exciting announcement for company offices relocating.  Wouldn't be surprised if some executive was visiting Greenville, came down Academy and had a lightbulb go off in their head honestly.  I bet the developer was approached.

Edited by NewlyUpstate

15 hours ago, NewlyUpstate said:

Looking at the plans, there's no way that's a co-working space. Definitely looks like a law office or bank office to me.  You could even pull off a corporate HQ that has its employees de-centralized and only executives and vital support staff located centrally.  I have a feeling that if approved, this revision will coincide with an exciting announcement for company offices relocating.  Wouldn't be surprised if some executive was visiting Greenville, came down Academy and had a lightbulb go off in their head honestly.  I bet the developer was approached.

The first two floor's office space definitely looks like co-working, but could be flexible office associated with whatever is going on the top floor. They'll definitely have some nice views from up there.