The McClaren

vicupstate

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, rabbit seisin said:

Second question: once finished, how long will we have to wait before demolition? 

Or conversion into Section 8 housing.  Given all of the cheap rental housing going up around downtown, I worry that they will cause downtown to become a bad area once those buildings are outdated in a few decades.  In 2050, who'd want to live in an aging 27-year old building built in the "Charlotte, NC 2010s Boxy Panel-Clad Apartment Building" style?

• Confused 2

On 3/8/2023 at 12:22 PM, PuppiesandKittens said:

Or conversion into Section 8 housing.  Given all of the cheap rental housing going up around downtown, I worry that they will cause downtown to become a bad area once those buildings are outdated in a few decades.  In 2050, who'd want to live in an aging 27-year old building built in the "Charlotte, NC 2010s Boxy Panel-Clad Apartment Building" style?

Greenville citizens would like to know where the cheap rental housing is available. 

3 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Lots of cheap construction.  Rental prices aren’t cheap by historical Greenville standards but just wait until these buildings are 30 years old.

Hey hey hey. I’m the one that’s supposed to be negative about Greenville on this forum not you. :P 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, motonenterprises said:

I disagree

Ok, it’s certainly somewhat subjective but I see at least some new apartments built downtown that seem built with the same materials and same design as in various places in middle-income suburban areas around Charlotte.  Those will be considered aged %}*}  in a few decades. 

My point is that neighborhoods have life cycles; what’s in demand in one time period won’t necessarily be in demand in another.  One way to reduce this risk is to create very high-quality buildings that will hold up well over time.  

For example, instead of building a boxy panel-covered apartment building, same as any other one in average suburbia, build something with hiqh-quality materials (at least high-quality exterior materials and nice exterior design).    There are plenty of those around Greenville (Alta Vista Place is one, but it doesn’t have to be that upscale to be durable.)

Edited by PuppiesandKittens

1 hour ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Ok, it’s certainly somewhat subjective but I see at least some new apartments built downtown that seem built with the same materials and same design as in various places in middle-income suburban areas around Charlotte.  Those will be considered aged %}*}  in a few decades. 

My point is that neighborhoods have life cycles; what’s in demand in one time period won’t necessarily be in demand in another.  One way to reduce this risk is to create very high-quality buildings that will hold up well over time.  

For example, instead of building a boxy panel-covered apartment building, same as any other one in average suburbia, build something with hiqh-quality materials (at least high-quality exterior materials and nice exterior design).    There are plenty of those around Greenville (Alta Vista Place is one, but it doesn’t have to be that upscale to be durable.)

The leadership in the city is much more important to which way the city is going versus what the buildings look like. And leaders and business people in Greenville don't make decisions without careful consideration. And I actually like this building.

Moton I generally agree with your posts. But we’ll have to agree to disagree on this one. A tactical nuke should be dropped on this building. Raze it and start over…,which obviously is not happening. It’s a stain on an otherwise impressive slate of new projects. 

1 hour ago, GVLer said:

Moton I generally agree with your posts. But we’ll have to agree to disagree on this one. A tactical nuke should be dropped on this building. Raze it and start over…,which obviously is not happening. It’s a stain on an otherwise impressive slate of new projects. 

It's not going anywhere. It's unique and adds density. And again. I trust the leadership. They made Greenville into the success you see today. If you've been to meetings or have dealt with any of the leadership personally, like Knox; you will see what headspace they're in. They aren't perfect, but they don't make decisions lightly. Wish the county did the same.

• Like 1

I just want this damn thing finished. Their online portal says units will be ready May 1st... I don't think there's any way. Also, why does their marketing brochure look a million times better than this thing looks in person? It's like a completely different design.  Maybe I'll be surprised when it's finished and landscaped.

https://lighthouseliving.appfolio.com/listings/detail/80b62748-3d20-440d-9768-27297572d1f2

2 hours ago, motonenterprises said:

It's not going anywhere. It's unique and adds density. And again. I trust the leadership. They made Greenville into the success you see today. If you've been to meetings or have dealt with any of the leadership personally, like Knox; you will see what headspace they're in. They aren't perfect, but they don't make decisions lightly. Wish the county did the same.

I’ve known Knox White personally since he ran for Congress in the 1980s.  I like him a lot and also very much like pretty much everyone on City Council.  And I’m glad for the Design Review Board, which seems to have high-quality people on it.  Yes, the city and downtown have great governmental leadership.  

However, they aren’t the developers of this building.  In any business, it’s a general rule of thumb that whoever makes the first proposal for a project will get the end result closest to what he/she wants, since the first proposal is the basis for negotiations, and negotiations tend to improve a proposal but not change it to be totally different.  So since the developer made the first proposal, instead of someone whose first priority was a beautiful building regardless of cost, the end result of this project is probably closer to what a developer wants (with keeping costs down and profitability up), than to what someone whose priority is beauty and durability of the building would want.

If the Design Review Board put forth the first proposal for the building and then developers accepted the proposal and built the building (for example, if the Design Review Board issued an RFP for developers to build the building), the building would be prettier,  but obviously things don’t work that way.

I’d be curious to see how Charleston gets such high-quality new buildings in the core of its downtown.  What process does it follow that Greenville doesn’t?

13 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

I’ve known Knox White personally since he ran for Congress in the 1980s.  I like him a lot and also very much like pretty much everyone on City Council.  And I’m glad for the Design Review Board, which seems to have high-quality people on it.  Yes, the city and downtown have great governmental leadership.  

However, they aren’t the developers of this building.  In any business, it’s a general rule of thumb that whoever makes the first proposal for a project will get the end result closest to what he/she wants, since the first proposal is the basis for negotiations, and negotiations tend to improve a proposal but not change it to be totally different.  So since the developer made the first proposal, instead of someone whose first priority was a beautiful building regardless of cost, the end result of this project is probably closer to what a developer wants (with keeping costs down and profitability up), than to what someone whose priority is beauty and durability of the building would want.

If the Design Review Board put forth the first proposal for the building and then developers accepted the proposal and built the building (for example, if the Design Review Board issued an RFP for developers to build the building), the building would be prettier,  but obviously things don’t work that way.

I’d be curious to see how Charleston gets such high-quality new buildings in the core of its downtown.  What process does it follow that Greenville doesn’t?

Charleston has nothing with any real height. I prefer what Greenville is doing versus the low rise old look Charleston prefers. If I wanted that I'd live down there. Other than the cladding of this building may be an off put to some I think it's a good development. And the building is very nice inside with lots of amenities. And it has a neat high tech parking garage. Bump Charleston. Lol. We aren't them and don't want to be. We are Greenville.

Edited by motonenterprises
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, motonenterprises said:

Charleston has nothing with any real height. I prefer what Greenville is doing versus the low rise old look Charleston prefers. If I wanted that I'd live down there. Other than the cladding of this building may be an off put to some I think it's a good development. And the building is very nice inside with lots of amenities. And it has a neat high tech parking garage. Bump Charleston. Lol. We aren't them and don't want to be. We are Greenville.

Ok, I can respect that, thanks.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...