The McClaren

vicupstate

The demolition/relocation of the McClaren building and review of the new building have been changed to INFORMAL REVIEW at the March DRB meeting. No public comment nor a vote expected. The demolition of the Ballentine Equipment building  REMAINS on the Formal agenda.  

There is still a community meeting on this project on Monday, March 4 at 6:30 at the Kroc Center.  

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The community meeting was very successful and well attended. The developer has worked out a means to preserve the entire ORIGINAL building.  It will still be moved, but will be a functional building.  The developer will pay Duke to bury the power lines that will allow the plaza to go forward.  Rep Chandra Dillard  has secured SCDOT approval to transfer their property to the city, which has been a requirement all along. 

It is not a done deal yet, but the prospects are looking favorable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, vicupstate said:

The community meeting was very successful and well attended. The developer has worked out a means to preserve the entire ORIGINAL building.  It will still be moved, but will be a functional building.  The developer will pay Duke to bury the power lines that will allow the plaza to go forward.  Rep Chandra Dillard  has secured SCDOT approval to transfer their property to the city, which has been a requirement all along. 

It is not a done deal yet, but the prospects are looking favorable. 

Excellent. Any word on a possible construction start date? 

No construction timetable was mentioned. There will be additional DRB approvals needed in addition to the current applications. The ones before the Board now are about the demolition of the Ballentine Building, The McClaren building and the site plan.  The materials and architecture review will be probably in May.  If the Ballentine demo is approved, obviosuly that could occur pretty quick, but I would not expect the new building to start until at least the late Summer or early Fall, at the earliest.   

Another tidbit on this project: The new Building will be called 'The McClaren' building in honor of the Doctor.    

• Like 2

The structural massing is nice, but I am  definitely not a fan of the exterior facade.  Of course, the Trailside apartment complex across Academy certainly did not raise the architectural standard in downtown, so it appears Greenville is stuck with mediocrity as its most common design standard.

2 hours ago, Skyliner said:

The structural massing is nice, but I am  definitely not a fan of the exterior facade.  Of course, the Trailside apartment complex across Academy certainly did not raise the architectural standard in downtown, so it appears Greenville is stuck with mediocrity as its most common design standard.

Everyone will have their opinion on this and you absolutely deserve your's, Sky.

I just want to say that ultimately the site plan and one's engagement with the building will be much more important than façade design. This one's façade in particular is a fresh approach for Greenville. There's actually not much else downtown using these materials right now, especially in such a fun way. It has life to it. The refreshing aspect of the design is that it's not red brick, IMO. Greenville will be a much more interesting city and much better off for not reproducing the same thing over and over again. Ultimately, it's putting several hundred people in the heart of the West End.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

Everyone will have their opinion on this and you absolutely deserve your's, Sky.

I just want to say that ultimately the site plan and one's engagement with the building will be much more important than façade design. This one's façade in particular is a fresh approach for Greenville. There's actually not much else downtown using these materials right now, especially in such a fun way. It has life to it. The refreshing aspect of the design is that it's not red brick, IMO. Greenville will be a much more interesting city and much better off for not reproducing the same thing over and over again. Ultimately, it's putting several hundred people in the heart of the West End.

I tend to agree. It’s finally nice and refreshing to see something proposed for downtown that isn’t mostly if not all brick. Same goes for the federal courthouse. I saw modern buildings very similar in color and materials to this proposed one when I was on vacation in Seattle and loved them. Very modern, artsy, and cool looking. Two thumbs up for sure.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, gman430 said:

I tend to agree. It’s finally nice and refreshing to see something proposed for downtown that isn’t mostly if not all brick. Same goes for the federal courthouse. I saw modern buildings very similar in color and materials to this proposed one when I was on vacation in Seattle and loved them. Very modern, artsy, and cool looking. Two thumbs up for sure.

Shoot, even Asheville has some really cool new, modern buildings that look great. I'm typically not a fan of modern/artsy architecture, but it can be done right.  

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any photographs of Dr. McClaren? I can't find any, and the couple of news segments I've seen don't include any. Gotta be something somewhere. I suppose something will be unearthed by the time the project is finished.

Edited by Exile

5 minutes ago, apaladin said:

Isn't this property where the proposed convention center is proposed or would it butt up to it?

No. It's on the other side of the Second Presbyterian Church property. Actually, one past 2nd Pres. Doesn't share a border with it. So three down Academy from the events center.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

DRB will meet July 9th to consider moving the McClaren building and the design of the new building. 

The exterior materials of the new building have been upgraded to all  brick and terra cotta, although the  aluminum panels  screening the garage will remain as in the original renderings.    

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

126 feet tall and just a little brick on the front of the building where the black coloring is. Mostly ceramic tiles everywhere else.

https://sc-greenville-old.civicplus.com/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/6507?fileID=27080

https://sc-greenville-old.civicplus.com/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/6506?fileID=27079

https://sc-greenville-old.civicplus.com/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/6505?fileID=27078

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1