Haven at The Gulch, 11 stories, 299 apts, $100 million

markhollin

42 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

Looks like something a Houston developer would come up with.  

Or Travis Kelty. I expect this thing to be a blight on the skyline for decades to come. Sure to become downtown's first slummy tenement in the next economic downturn. 

• Haha 3

That design couldn't get any more carbon-copy. Slash the height in half, double the acreage, put a huge parking lot from the building to the periphery and stick it in Williamson County. Though I suppose this as good as it gets for the property being adjacent to the interstate. Ultimately, I'm glad we're adding some more height and density, but I think it's not exceedingly negative to criticize the lame design.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nativetenn said:

..... Though I suppose this as good as it gets for the property being adjacent to the interstate. ....

There are substantial developments built next to interstates and major highways all over this country.  This is simply a piss poor design and lackadaisical effort.   

• Thanks 1

I get the complaints about lack of originality for this design, but for perspective, keep in mind that it is being built next to the Frugal McDougal liquor warehouse and one building over from the Pour House bar with its faux second-floor facade -- so the design standards for that block aren't particularly high. This will up the ante for that part of the Gulch significantly.

And doesn't this still leave an additional lot next door (alongside the tracks) to still be developed?

• Like 4

This quote made me laugh.     As if the person were not aware that steel frame construction has been in use since the 1800's.   

The snap-on panels covered in stucco sound like taking cheap to a new level.   

It will feature a unique design utilizing steel frames and panels that are assembled elsewhere that workers will snap together on-site to create the shell of the building. Stucco will be applied to the building's exterior.

The approach allows for a taller building  while saving 10 percent to 20 percent in costs compared to concrete. That's partly because it's faster than waiting days for each floor of concrete to harden.

"It's kind of like Legos. It's assembled with nuts and bolts. You're not doing welding on-site," says David Kulkarni of Guefen. "It's very low-waste."

• Haha 2

Metro has no materials guidelines here because it is not in any redevelopment district. Even if it were Metro is mamby pamby to the developers. They let a lot of them do what they want to do.

Metro at some point will really need to step up but from what I have seen from the Planning dept. and the new director it is steady as she goes. Dont rock the boat.

• 1 month later...

All the machinations on the sale ($13.5 million) of the property at 641 Division St. are now complete for Travis Kelty, Joe Porter of Highpoint Division Partners, Prescient Company, and Guefen Development to move forward very soon.  The cost of the project is supposed to exceed $100 million.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21065823/pie-town-site-for-midrise-sells-for-135m

• Thanks 1