Haven at The Gulch, 11 stories, 299 apts, $100 million

markhollin

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, titanhog said:

Ya know…it just hit me that they’ve painted the Haven in colors that match the blue skyscrapers, the red brick buildings and the limestone buildings in downtown.  After realizing this, Haven has now become my favorite building in Nashville.

Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 1.50.46 PM.png

spacer.png

You almost had me! I was going to recommend you for a new pair of glasses!

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Licec said:

Interesting in that for some reason metro gave a thumbs down to Shades but doesn't have a problem with this project.

Shades was going for a modification to zoning. As far as I know, this thing was built under the base zoning, metro had no say in the final design/materials used. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

It already looks like a dated apartment complex that needs updating, cheaply built in the early 2000s or so.

Why did they think this looked good? It looks a tad low income, dare I say. :o 

I understand what you're saying.  However, low income people deserve affordable housing in downtown just as much as anyone else.  Even if it is affordable housing it's still an horrific looking building.  

This building being built in Seattle is all "affordable housing" not just a few units.  It looks so much better than the crap we're complaining about. which will probably only have a few affordable housing units.  Even if the materials are the same, it just has a much better aesthetic. 

1400 Madison Architecture 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, PillowTalk4 said:

I understand what you're saying.  However, low income people deserve affordable housing in downtown just as much as anyone else.  Even if it is affordable housing it's still an horrific looking building.  

This building being built in Seattle is all "affordable housing" not just a few units.  It looks so much better than the crap we're complaining about. which will probably only have a few affordable housing units.  Even if the materials are the same, it just has a much better aesthetic. 

1400 Madison Architecture 

Yes, of course--they need housing just like everyone else. But the developers and architecture team can create a building that looks and is, nicer, aesthetically, for them, IF that is the case. ;)

But it's my understanding that this is primarily market rate apartments/condos? The building is super aesthetically unpleasing, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, downtownresident said:

Shades was going for a modification to zoning. As far as I know, this thing was built under the base zoning, metro had no say in the final design/materials used. 

In a conversation with a contact in Planning, this project is a shameful example of HOW EASY it is to build in Nashville. The development team knew the zoning/planning codes inside and out and even called out Planning when they asked prodding questions that technically is a grey area for planning to ask. They knew if Planning could or could not ask the question and made sure to meet the exact intent of the code on the bad side. There was another project we talked about (possibly One22One) where the building met the exact intent of the code, but on the good side.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2022 at 7:36 PM, Bos2Nash said:

In a conversation with a contact in Planning, this project is a shameful example of HOW EASY it is to build in Nashville. The development team knew the zoning/planning codes inside and out and even called out Planning when they asked prodding questions that technically is a grey area for planning to ask. They knew if Planning could or could not ask the question and made sure to meet the exact intent of the code on the bad side. There was another project we talked about (possibly One22One) where the building met the exact intent of the code, but on the good side.

I prefer a Planning & Codes paradigm that is slightly "too easy" to build than one that is "too hard" to build. Haven at the Gulch sucks, but if that lousy building means that we can more quickly approve and build a bunch of other cool buildings and desperately needed apartments, then that's an eyesore I can live with.

Seattle's the extreme example in the US, with a Design Review process that can take 2+ years just to approve design! (see article here: https://www.theurbanist.org/2021/07/19/its-time-to-overhaul-design-review/

• Like 2