Haven at The Gulch, 11 stories, 299 apts, $100 million

markhollin

• 3 weeks later...

Pool of death installed and filled overlooking Division Street Connector.  Will have great views of downtown.

Looking SW from Division Street Connector, 1/2 block east of 7th Ave. South:

Haven, May 15, 2022, 1.jpeg

Looking south from Division Street Connector, 1/4 block east of 7th Ave. South:

Haven, May 15, 2022, 2.jpeg

This is the one angle of the building that I find marginally acceptable.  Looking SE from Division Street Connector, just east of 7th Ave. South:

Haven, May 15, 2022, 3.jpeg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, nashville born said:

I'm not a proponent of interstate caps, yet I think I've finally been won over.   Let's cap the inner loop from five feet to the east of Haven to five feet to the west of it.  And then, let's build two stylish mid-rise residential buildings on the cap.  Can you smell what the Rock is cooking?

Apologies, but your dream of "caps" only works effectively when both sides of the highway are elevated above the highway  as futher west between  Diviasion and Church.  The flyovers of the interchange and the much lower elevation south and east toward Fort Neegley does not work well with a "cap" concept.

54 minutes ago, Baronakim said:

Apologies, but your dream of "caps" only works effectively when both sides of the highway are elevated above the highway  as futher west between  Diviasion and Church.  The flyovers of the interchange and the much lower elevation south and east toward Fort Neegley does not work well with a "cap" concept.

It wasn't a serious idea.  Just poking fun at Haven.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

While I know this building is UGLY and not desirable from an aesthetic standpoint. The idea of calling for recently constructed buildings – this one, EleveN° (which is only 9 years old), Broadstone SoBro to name a few – would be the definition of unsustainable development. Sure they are ugly or built on the cheap, but they are serving a certain purpose and tearing them down within 10/15/20 years is just ridiculous and contributing to larger costs and larger environmental concerns. These are the kinds of things that make development finicky and not easy to the everyday person. There are consequences to a development, there is hindsight to development. These are some of the growing pains that our city will experience.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Not to disagree with you at all Craig, and a lot of my post was done in jest. I will say examples of this are starting to happen such as the Watkins College campus dorms which were not that bad have already been torn down to make room for new apartments.

The 11 North apartments may well be torn down, which I think they will be as they do not serve the developers master plan. They are being rather cy as to their plan for those. I do think as the real estate price goes up in the core, a number of these smaller 4,5 & 6 story projects may end up being phased out and rebuilt in in the long term. I do not think it will happen with Haven; however, I do see the current paint job being redone in a couple of years because the current paint scheme will not hold up well due to the elements. Just like red, blue, and pastels, do not hold up well. Darker grays and other colors tend to do better and that has been used more often of late. Paint can hide a lot of ugly.

There may well end up being more examples of this coming that we have not foreseen, and it is not a good use of resources either.

• Like 4

It’s hard for me to believe that an architect / builder could not have come up with something more appealing to the eye for the same price and same number of rooms.  It doesn’t have to be the best looking building in Nashville…but this actually looks like someone tried to win the “Ugliest Building In Nashville” contest…and they’re definitely in the lead for the prize.

• Like 4

They all have one thing in common — they're made of popsicle sticks, guitar strings and broken dreams... Having seen what many of these cookie-cutter apartment buildings look like on the inside after 5-6 years, I don't know if many of them will live to see 10-15 more years. The cheap, lousy construction plus the wear-and-tear from young renters with little respect for upkeep doesn't bode well for their longevity.

At least the ones pictured above have some redeeming qualities to them. Haven is an embarrassment. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, VSRJ said:

They all have one thing in common — they're made of popsicle sticks, guitar strings and broken dreams... Having seen what many of these cookie-cutter apartment buildings look like on the inside after 5-6 years, I don't know if many of them will live to see 10-15 more years. The cheap, lousy construction plus the wear-and-tear from young renters with little respect for upkeep doesn't bode well for their longevity.

At least the ones pictured above have some redeeming qualities to them. Haven is an embarrassment. 

East Nashville Suites has redeeming qualities? What are they?

Bristol on Broadway is another candidate I forgot. Bristol has been a repeat bad taste development offender

• Like 2

On 6/14/2022 at 3:46 PM, Nashvillain said:

The Haven might be singled out for its high visibility, but Nashville doesn't often get the best effort from developers since the urban building boom started back in 2005 ish. Here's a couple greatest hits that I could think of off the top of my head. 

1956688481_Screenshot2022-06-14154141.thumb.jpg.566c3077c9fbc1a8e915125c581f819a.jpg1379322809_Screenshot2022-06-14153947.thumb.jpg.dad6fe14ba6c26518b72072e7c873ce0.jpg1698550499_Screenshot2022-06-14153701.thumb.jpg.6db6aceb7ff04c90b9adf79dec71bf30.jpg1580030128_Screenshot2022-06-14153445.thumb.jpg.0e7bcfec539c7c46ddf16154e5a24d37.jpg640432577_Screenshot2022-06-14153330.thumb.jpg.57d221ee8ceea4f4b3b83e3dce46d4eb.jpg1790559559_Screenshot2022-06-14153218.thumb.jpg.0596f845c4fc60e87089dfeb1545aaf2.jpg1202104969_Screenshot2022-06-14153125.thumb.jpg.958d516ccf6928009b319b0e5b29eee9.jpg1201878286_Screenshot2022-06-14152939.thumb.jpg.1d6d24ffce1eed8dc2a21e079cff8eb7.jpg

^ Oh, and the Westin!

Bridal Suites on Main Street are the absolute worst and probably one of two newish buildings that I’d actually advocate for tearing down. Rhythm at Music Row is definitely ugly but that tower actually provides some of the more relatively affordable condos in the neighborhood.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, andywildman said:

Bridal Suites on Main Street are the absolute worst and probably one of two newish buildings that I’d actually advocate for tearing down. Rhythm at Music Row is definitely ugly but that tower actually provides some of the more relatively affordable condos in the neighborhood.

Agreed.  The others pictured are all varying degrees of tolerable, in my opinion, but that Bridal Suites is should be called Brutal Suites... I mean if they removed a few of those windows and you told me it was a minimum security urban prison, I'd probably believe you.  

• Like 1