The "T" at the Riverfront | 26 Floors, approx. 320' (Proposed)

We will see. A few other highrises similar to this one have been proposed in the past, but they all preceded the Great Recession of '08 (e.g. Worsham Watkins Tower)

I think the economy is in better shape to support a project like this now, but what worries me is that it will have to rely on a lot of students and young adults for tenants. On their website, they claim that "With the project’s proximity to University of Tennessee, this residential tower is being designed to attract student population." To pull this off, the rent can't be too expensive. $1000/month is pretty high end for students, and by the looks of this tower, I don't see how the units will go for anything less than that. By comparison, I am paying $650/month for my 1 bedroom  apartment in Fort Sanders, which is only a few blocks from the engineering campus. So they will have to market to pretty wealthy students (and parents)

Personally, if I were in my late 20s and looking to live in a downtown residential apartment, I wouldn't want to live in the same quarters as a bunch of rich, noisy college kids. The building will smell like weed in nothing flat...

1 hour ago, nativetenn said:

We will see. A few other highrises similar to this one have been proposed in the past, but they all preceded the Great Recession of '08 (e.g. Worsham Watkins Tower)

I think the economy is in better shape to support a project like this now, but what worries me is that it will have to rely on a lot of students and young adults for tenants. On their website, they claim that "With the project’s proximity to University of Tennessee, this residential tower is being designed to attract student population." To pull this off, the rent can't be too expensive. $1000/month is pretty high end for students, and by the looks of this tower, I don't see how the units will go for anything less than that. By comparison, I am paying $650/month for my 1 bedroom  apartment in Fort Sanders, which is only a few blocks from the engineering campus. So they will have to market to pretty wealthy students (and parents)

Personally, if I were in my late 20s and looking to live in a downtown residential apartment, I wouldn't want to live in the same quarters as a bunch of rich, noisy college kids. The building will smell like weed in nothing flat...

Ha-Ha! They might want to tweak their marketing angle a bit. In any case, it may say something that the developer increased the height.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Well, so much for this ever happening.  Just like every other proposed building in Knoxville, it will never be seen.  I'm getting kind of tired of having developers and idiots politicians getting their publisher friends to hype buildings like this when they know there is absolutely no chance they will ever be built.

• Sad 1

• 10 months later...