Wal-Mart Supercenter

vladittude0583

I myself like shopping @ Wal-Mart, but recently I thought to myself, how many Wal-Marts do we need (especially the Supercenters) in Jacksonville given the locations they're being place at. Not only do they sorta bring down the value of the surrounding areas but create horrendous traffic too.

Wal-Mart Supercenter locations in Jax (that I know of):

1) Atlantic Blvd & Kernan Rd.

2) Beach Blvd & Southside Blvd

3) Normandy Blvd

4) SR9A & Merrill Road (Hutchinson Park Drive near Regency Mall)

5) Lem Turner Road

Soon to be built Wal-Mart Supercenters:

1) Hodges Blvd & Beach Blvd

2) River City Marketplace @ I-95 near the Airport (new outdoor-shopping center similar to St. John's Town Center)

3) Philips Highway

Those are the Wal-Mart Supercenters that I know of that we already have and are being planned. This lists doesn't include the regular stores which are still plenty out there in just one city. If you guys know of any, please lists them or say your opinion about this topic...

Super-Target has only a few locations unlike Wal-Mart Supercenters. I think Jacksonville needs more Super Targets or about the same as the Wal-Marts.

1) Super Target across from O.P. Mall

2) Super Target on Roosevelt Blvd near NAS Jax

Planned Super Target:

Just imagine the differences there.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I myself like shopping @ Wal-Mart, but recently I thought to myself, how many Wal-Marts do we need (especially the Supercenters) in Jacksonville given the locations they're being place at. Not only do they sorta bring down the value of the surrounding areas but create horrendous traffic too.

Wal-Mart Supercenter locations in Jax (that I know of):

1) Atlantic Blvd & Kernan Rd.

2) Beach Blvd & Southside Blvd

3) Normandy Blvd

4) SR9A & Merrill Road (Hutchinson Park Drive near Regency Mall)

5) Lem Turner Road

Soon to be built Wal-Mart Supercenters:

2) River City Marketplace @ I-95 near the Airport (new outdoor-shopping center similar to St. John's Town Center)

3) Philips Highway

Those are the Wal-Mart Supercenters that I know of that we already have and are being planned. This lists doesn't include the regular stores which are still plenty out there in just one city. If you guys know of any, please lists them or say your opinion about this topic...

Super-Target has only a few locations unlike Wal-Mart Supercenters. I think Jacksonville needs more Super Targets or about the same as the Wal-Marts.

1) Super Target across from O.P. Mall

2) Super Target on Roosevelt Blvd near NAS Jax

Planned Super Target:

Just imagine the differences there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love shopping at Super Walmart! You forgot that they're converting the regular Walmart on 103rd St. into a Supercenter. You can never have enough Supercenters. As long as a market can absorb it I'm for it. I'm feeling giddy b/c Walmart is about to complete a new Supercenter that is 3 miles from where I live. Currently, I have to travel 10 miles to get to one. Now I'll be able to buy the largest box of my favorite cereal for the same price that Albertsons and the rest charge for a much smaller box. I can't wait!

My answer:  None. 

I only shop at Publix.  Walmart is a place to go when you are feeling down about yourself and need to see people who are less attractive/fit/well dressed than yourself.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Man, that's harsh. :angry: Maybe that's how you feel, but I for one don't go to Wal-Mart to look at the economically-challenged.

"Look at all the poor people, Mommy!"

"Don't make eye contact with them, honey!"

I try not to shop at large, big-box corporate retail whenever possible. Call it "sticking it to the man" if you will. I am alarmed at how many WM's Jax is getting. Has Jacksonville become Walmart's test market?!

^Walmart is expanding like that everywhere, not just Jax. They have 9 locations, in Polk County (Lakeland-Winter Haven) alone, and its half the size of metro Jax population-wise. It would be interesting to see how many stores they currently have in metro Tampa and Orlando.

My answer:  None. 

I only shop at Publix.  Walmart is a place to go when you are feeling down about yourself and need to see people who are less attractive/fit/well dressed than yourself.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

spoken like a true ne'er well-to-do, elite sophisticate.

btw...don't forget the one at San Jose and 295...being converted now.

Man, that's harsh. mad.gif Maybe that's how you feel, but I for one don't go to Wal-Mart to look at the economically-challenged.

Where did I say that the shoppers there were poor or make fun of their poverty? Plenty of wealthy people have bad taste and are in bad shape. The bottom line is Walmart provides a horrendous shopping experience, worse than any other big box store. First, you have to fight traffic to park in this massive parking lot full of various traffic hazards. You then have to find your way around a cavernous poorly marked warehouse and fight your way through hordes of confused people. And, finally, you go wait in line at one of 100 counters to pay for your ill-gotten Chinese-made booty. The whole experience is dehumanizing and just plain sucks. I am real cheap generally but I would rather pay more than go in that place. It is a depressing part of modern America and I am also shocked that anyone who purports to be in favor of urban development would shop at this most suburban of stores.

Personally, I agree with Riverside, but I do shop at Wal-Mart a bit. I tend to be up late, and If I need to go shopping at 11-12 at night, Wal-Mart is the only option near me.

However, maybe someone can explain to me why the self checkout is not always open, or why there are only three regular checkouts open when each line is 10 deep?

Wow, a Super Wal-Mart AND a Super Target coming to Beach and Hodges? There goes the easy flowing traffic in my neighborhood.

I agree with Gator 100% about Wal-Mart. I'm a pretty easy going guy, but there is nothing that makes me as edgy as five minutes in Wal-Mart, I literally want to run everyone around me over with my cart. It has nothing to do with my dislike of their control of the market or their company policy, it's just the fact that being in the store is pure hell.

Wal-Mart does thing where they build these ENORMOUS parking lots, and then make the main drive in front of the store about ten feet wide so that it backs up like mad, and when you finally get down a thin parking lane there are clowns crawling at the speed of quicksand trying to get a spot five feet closer to the store. You avoid stray carts, families of eight walking in the middle of the lane, and finally park. Then you start walking towards the portal to hell, people honk, you get inside and enter the madness.

So you get inside, and there are million people -screaming babies, bickoring couples- all in your way stalling their carts in the middle of aisles, pushing and shoving, and you have no idea where the hell anything you want is and there is no one ever around to tell you. It's like a scavanger hut, and you're fighting your way around idiots who think they are the only ones in the store. Finally you find everything you want, get back to the front of the store and aren't suprised to see that depsite the fact that Wal-Mart built 40 checkout lines, no more than four are ever opened at once. Even the self checkouts, which are built to avoid the need for cashiers, are closed. Then you wait in the line, get outside, some moron follows you to your spot, some other moron gets in the lane behind you and blocks you in, you channel yourself into the only exit lane out of the property and you leave in the worst mood in the entire world.

I HATE everything about the Wal-Mart experience. Publix and Target offer a pleasant shopping exprience, and for that I will gladly pay 1 cent more for my bananas.

Wow! seems like Jacksonville has it's hand's full with that walmart problem. We have alot of walmarts around here to but it's not that bad. Hell, we actully need more of them. But back to the point, I like shopping at Walmart but I can see were they tend to go over the limits with building there stores. I agree that it's better to shop at target as they have a better atmosphere but walmart does just fine for me.

Wow, a Super Wal-Mart AND a Super Target coming to Beach and Hodges? There goes the easy flowing traffic in my neighborhood.

I agree with Gator 100% about Wal-Mart. I'm a pretty easy going guy, but there is nothing that makes me as edgy as five minutes in Wal-Mart, I literally want to run everyone around me over with my cart. It has nothing to do with my dislike of their control of the market or their company policy, it's just the fact that being in the store is pure hell.

Wal-Mart does thing where they build these ENORMOUS parking lots, and then make the main drive in front of the store about ten feet wide so that it backs up like mad, and when you finally get down a thin parking lane there are clowns crawling at the speed of quicksand trying to get a spot five feet closer to the store. You avoid stray carts, families of eight walking in the middle of the lane, and finally park. Then you start walking towards the portal to hell, people honk, you get inside and enter the madness.

So you get inside, and there are million people -screaming babies, bickoring couples- all in your way stalling their carts in the middle of aisles, pushing and shoving, and you have no idea where the hell anything you want is and there is no one ever around to tell you. It's like a scavanger hut, and you're fighting your way around idiots who think they are the only ones in the store. Finally you find everything you want, get back to the front of the store and aren't suprised to see that depsite the fact that Wal-Mart built 40 checkout lines, no more than four are ever opened at once. Even the self checkouts, which are built to avoid the need for cashiers, are closed. Then you wait in the line, get outside, some moron follows you to your spot, some other moron gets in the lane behind you and blocks you in, you channel yourself into the only exit lane out of the property and you leave in the worst mood in the entire world.

I HATE everything about the Wal-Mart experience. Publix and Target offer a pleasant shopping exprience, and for that I will gladly pay 1 cent more for my bananas.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

AMEN. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Publix and Target definitely are worth the 1 cent more for the pleasent atmosphere and quality/style.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl: Well Said. WalMart doesn't make it any easier to navigate in the store by putting pallet upon pallet of product in its wider aisles making them so narrow that is in nearly impossible to pass by with one cart, let alone two carts and a family of eight. I get all twitchy when I go to walmart. They need to have a valium dispenser at the front door next to the disinfectant cart gel. Now that would make walmart tolerable.

Does anyone know if the planned Wal-Mart Supercenter & Super Target on Beach Blvd. & Hodges Blvd. has actually passed the pre-development stage or whatsoever? All I know is that Jax Golf & Country Club sued the city and I think they lost but then appealed again but dunno for sure. Is the development actually going to happen, does anyone know? Both perhaps or just one of them?

Both have been approved sometime and will be coming to that corner, despite the resident's wishes.

BTW, There was just an article in either the Jax Business Journal or FTU, ealier this week about Kimco finalizing its contract to buy the land to construct the Target shopping center.

Archived