ertley

Caldwell Street--The Next Great Street

I’m having flash backs to 2006.

Not sure if you’ve read, but the city has long documents on making Caldwell a happening street. There’s also an entire thread dedicated to it. It fell apart though. Especially since Nascad HoF kinda killed it with terrible street presence. 

15 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I’m having flash backs to 2006.

Not sure if you’ve read, but the city has long documents on making Caldwell a happening street. There’s also an entire thread dedicated to it. It fell apart though. Especially since Nascad HoF kinda killed it with terrible street presence. 

You are referencing Brevard. 

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Land Use Planning/BrevardStreetPlan.pdf

Edited by ricky_davis_fan_21
  • Like 1

I actually did try and sort/search for a Caldwell thread, but (maybe it was my computer and not UP) it froze, so...

I wasn't paying attention back in '06, but I guess I would say now that I hope the city realizes it wasn't a bad idea, it just was impeded by...uh...a massive recession, and so CLT is back to where it was,  more or less. I *do* understand and believe that focusing primarily on wards, neighborhoods when conceptualizing development is the first means of approach. Once you get those in place/adopted, though, looking at avenues, if nothing else by encouraging a specific built environment, is important. 

I still say Caldwell should, in 10 years time, be only just secondary to Tryon--at least N/S--uptown! 

Edited by ertley
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, ertley said:

I actually did try and sort/search for a Caldwell thread, but (maybe it was my computer and not UP) it froze, so...

I wasn't paying attention back in '06, but I guess I would say now that I hope the city realizes it wasn't a bad idea, it just was impeded by...uh...a massive recession, and so CLT is back to where it was,  more or less. I *do* understand and believe that focusing primarily on wards, neighborhoods when conceptualizing development is the first means of approach. Once you get those in place/adopted, though, looking at avenues, if nothing else by encouraging a specific built environment, is important. 

I still say Caldwell should, in 10 years time, be only just secondary to Tryon--at least N/S--uptown! 

I like this idea. I think there needs to be a concerted effort toward the success of Church and College first however. That said, Its incredibly important that a great overlay is put in place for Caldwell too, and all our streets. Have you ever thought about writing an OpEd and submitting it to one of our fine media companies?

Edited by ricky_davis_fan_21
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, DMann said:

Doen't the city plan on making Caldwell 2 way all the way to 12th street?

There were plans a long time ago to make Caldwell and Brevard two-way streets again all the way through Uptown. I haven't heard any progress on that in a really long time, but it is definitely still a good idea. 

• Like 1

It's still technically the plan, but Council de-funded the Center City transportation program which would have paid for it. So it's a matter of Council (and to some degree Center City Partners) to re-prioritize that work.

• Like 2

While I'd love for Caldwell to replace Parkwood's name through The Plaza, it's too far gone with Parkwood Station, and the titularly-named apartments and townhomes going up. It's like Stonewall; it had to happen 5 years ago.

Regarding the opportunity to create a stellar thoroughfare, it indeed should happen. Hopefully any new developments in First Ward widen Caldwell in piecemeal fashion.

• Like 2