Tallest buildings in Nashville by official building height

UTgrad09

@Brichar4Thanks for everything you're doing for the Wiki page.  I keep it up for days!  As I don't understand all the rules, are you limited to what images you can use for a building?  Asking because the one used for Amazon 1 doesn't really do it justice IMO.  Feel free to set me straight; promise there'll be no hard feelings.  The image that's there just does something icky to me.

And now a quick rant.  Come on Nashville, can we please move some projects from the ever growing Proposed List to the teeny tiny Under Construction List?!?!  Good grief!

Okay, I feel better now.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, nashville born said:

@Brichar4Thanks for everything you're doing for the Wiki page.  I keep it up for days!  As I don't understand all the rules, are you limited to what images you can use for a building?  Asking because the one used for Amazon 1 doesn't really do it justice IMO.  Feel free to set me straight; promise there'll be no hard feelings.  The image that's there just does something icky to me.

And now a quick rant.  Come on Nashville, can we please move some projects from the ever growing Proposed List to the teeny tiny Under Construction List?!?!  Good grief!

Okay, I feel better now.

Of course im happy to, I really enjoy it and its been great all the information from everyone. Image wise there aren't a lot of rules regarding it, Im actually a photographer and need to get out and get some real high quality consistent shots of everything one day. In the mean time if you have any images that you think would do a specific project more just feel free to send it my way and i can code it in pretty easily. Most the newer projects I have just taken on my phone when I am walking around downtown or on a run, there are plenty of older ones that could probably use a refresh of perspective. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2021 at 9:51 AM, Brichar4 said:

Do we have official documented heights for 5/3rd, the JW Marriott, or  Bridgestone tower? I have had these recently questioned and would love to have them cited if possible. Thank you 

5/3rd is gonna be a hard one to find because it was built so long ago. I'll see if I can find the JW and Bridgestone. 

• Thanks 2

• 5 weeks later...

Reaches into kitchen utensils drawer....pulls out long handled wooden spoon...

Time to stir the pot!  

I'm counting 31 proposed tall projects on Nashville's Wiki page plus another seven under construction.   How is it that only one of those 38 projects...ONE...would eclipse the 617' highwater mark?  This might sound like a joking question, yet I'm quite perplexed.  Yes, I understand about all the available land there is to develop.  I tend to discount that argument when I consider all the other growth and non-growth cities with just as much, if not more, available land for development who have existing and/or proposed buildings over 617'.   Sixteen of our 25 tallest buildings were built after 1994 and not one of them has even come close to 617'.

Why are we stuck at 617'?  I'm beginning to think there has to be a reason(s) and I'm looking to hear thoughts/perspectives on the topic.  Meanwhile, I'll continue hoping.

Edited by nashville born
  • Like 2

I think there are a couple recent developments the hinder the desire to build high.

#1 is obviously COVID and the push for more flexible work environments. In my view, it’ll have to be a residential / hotel / mixed used tower that would eclipse AT&T. I don’t see anyone building an office tower that tall right now.

#2 is what we see with Oracle. These large tech companies have a desire for campuses. 

Lastly, I think the 2008 recession still lingers. Imagine you’re developing an 800 foot tower in a smaller but growing market (Nashville) and the economy plummets. You’re stuck on the hook for a lot of dollars.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Brichar4 said:

I have always thought we are trending in a appropriate level of height amongst buildings in a way. If you look at the time table of built and proposed in relation to usable floor height we have trended up over time. When accounting for the vanity height of ATT with the spires, it realistically is in the 400’s at usable floor height. We have surpassed that greatly and continue to build up (four seasons, Ritz Carlton, and pinnacle). That doesn’t mean I don’t wish we could just go 800ft however haha, just that we have seen height growth just not perfect.

I do hope however it is a domino effect when that 617 height barrier is finally broken. That we see more and more projects that are not afraid to surpass one another. 

Your "trending" point is an excellent one and is a perspective I had not thought of/considered.  It actually makes me feel a LOT better.  Agreed on the domino effect.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, nashville born said:

Your "trending" point is an excellent one and is a perspective I had not thought of/considered.  It actually makes me feel a LOT better.  Agreed on the domino effect.

I have an excel file based off the wiki i have been working on and want to graphically show, hopefully soon,  it is something i have thought about recently. 

trying to think the best way to estimate usable floor height and account for ATT and similar buildings. Might have to be a rough estimate!

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Rob said:

I was being a nerd tonight and looking at an elevation page. Then I combined the elevation where some of the buildings sit around downtown with the building height.

Although I'm sure the elevation map isn't 100% accurate, should be pretty close. After looking at the totals, no wonder 4 Seasons looks so much shorter than 505.  Pretty interesting.

image.png.80f478684fadc6f757953cd80f2ea660.png

Elevation.xlsx 10.07 kB · 1 download

Any chance you found the elevation figure for 5/3?  It's listed height compared to 505's has always left me perplexed...visually given their proximity.

26 minutes ago, nashville born said:

Any chance you found the elevation figure for 5/3?  It's listed height compared to 505's has always left me perplexed...visually given their proximity.

It's showing the elevation where the tower stands at 558'

That shows it's only 12' shorter, so either 505 is taller than 525' or 5/3 is shorter than 490'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2021 at 8:26 PM, dmillsphoto said:

THE 5/3 TOWER CONTROVERSY HAS FINALLY BEEN SETTLED!!!

Celebration Golf GIF by RDS

On 10/26/2021 at 8:06 PM, downtownresident said:

A couple of updates. @Brichar4

I finally found a new height for the 5/3rd building. According to the Rehab Permit for the Plaza, the building's height is 435':

487462465_Image10-26-21at6_59PM.thumb.jpeg.ef09bdd69908f627c01209777a4b60bf.jpeg

Found on page three here: https://documents.nashville.gov/Request/Open/83bf5637-dae0-485d-889d-f6c5190fbc5d_CA-Permits-20171101_15445116_1

Embassy Suites is 384' to the top of the spire. 

708022876_Image10-26-21at7_04PM.jpeg.e8d9a97a4ffa47005c941108f02382a5.jpeg

855'-471'=384'

Source: https://epermits.nashville.gov/download.aspx?id=636117

@Brichar4

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 10/29/2021 at 2:06 PM, Brichar4 said:

I have updated Embassy Suites and 5/3rd on the Wiki Page

im hoping no one alters the 5/3rd... I’ll keep fighting them if so 

Well, looks like whoever that phantom person is, they're at it again as 5/3 is again listed at 490ft.  I wouldn't fault you for not hitting your head against that brick wall.  Been there.