RELOCATION OF STATE FAIR IN DAVIDSON COUNTY OR METRO AREA

smeagolsfree

Just wanted to through this out there for discussion. Since the State is now moving the Fairgrounds from its current location, I have found two site that would be suitable, however there would be a large amount of infrastructure work like utilities and also bridges that would need to be built but the  amount of land is available.

The first is on Cockrell Bend where the State owns almost 5 square miles close to the prison and at least 300 hundred acres would be out of the flood plain, where the wooded area is. The challenge would be getting people in and out of there and that would come with extending the County Hospital. Rd across the River to that location.

The State would probably through a hissy fit because its so close to the prisons.

The second is a Metro owned area called Hardins Bend, which gain is off County Hosp. RD. and across the river from TSU. I am unsure of the flood plain there but there is well over 400 acres. The flooding could be overcome by putting parking in the area prone to flooding.

Now there could be a third option at some area in Northern Davison County where the State would have to go in and buy the land but it would be out far enough to probably work and there is a lot of land available , but flat land is the key there.

Thoughts????

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But 300 acres is the criteria the state is requiring, besides I dont think Metro is going to give up a golf course and soccer fields in Bordeaux. That would open a can of worms being in Bordeaux, whos residents already feel like the red headed step child of Metro.

Besides I dont think Metro should give anything to the State. If the State wants the Fairgrounds in Davidson County, then it shoud be on State land or other land they have to pay for. Where ever the Fair goes, it should not be a burdon on the city or county and the state should foot 100% of the bill.

The state doesn't need 300 acres. That's a joke. The Wilson County Fair isn't even that big. Put it out at Starwood. You could probably get about 100 acres out of that, and you could draw people from Rutherford, as well as Williamson and Wilson. 

Also, there's well over 300 acres of undeveloped land between Hamilton Church Rd and Mt View Road just north of Starwood.

I do think it needs to be in the central part of the state close to the population centers in order to be a success. It will not work in Cookeville, Crossville, Manchester, Columbia, etc., because those places are just a little too far out. People will only drive so far so you want it around as much population as you can. I threw the two locations out in N Nashville out there, but in my eyes they are not ideal as they are in fact a little too close in, as that attracts a different wrong type of crowd.

You want it no farther out than the Wilson County Fair. Now the old race track in Wilson would be fine, but who knows. My thoughts again are this. Why is all of the responsibility and or blame going to Metro in some eyes? Again I say this is a State problem and they are the ones that need to fix it.

OK....so I have this idea for a Fair  location that could achieve more than one objective.

The industrial area between Hermitage lane and the river has been an eyesore for decades-why not relocate these industries to one of the 'bends' (Cockrill, Bells.etc.) and open up a bunch of green space for downtown residents then set aside some of it for the fair? There is boatloads of space that could serve as a host for the Midway and Carnival rides for a couple of weeks out of the year and the rest of the year it would serve as an urban park. Plenty of space available for parking and exhibit halls too.

Imagine cruising down the river on the General Jackson and looking over to see the Tennessee State Fair right on the riverbank! The improved location should help with attendance and even get some of the tourist traffic.

Just one man's opinion.......

8 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I think a livestock show in the Capitol would be fine. Could not be any worse than the stinch that has been coming out of there for the last 150 years or so. That's a slam to both parties as there is a lot of BS that goes on there.

How dare you slam livestock like that! 

48 minutes ago, NashRugger said:

Just rebrand the Wilson County Fair as the State Fair, easy day.

I've thought that as well...but I think the Wilson County Fair folks have already said they wanted nothing to do with the state fair.  IMO...have the Wilson Co fair...then a few weeks later, have the State Fair there.  Or...even run them consecutively.

2 hours ago, thenorthchannel said:

Perhaps he means, Hermitage Avenue.

1st Avenue S turns into Hermitage Avenue as it crosses under I24/I40 then runs parallel the river before it turns into Lebanon Pike. 

Yeah, that's what I meant....sorry, I've been up in the great Ohio Valley for a while now and I'm beginning to forget stuff.

• smeagolsfree changed the title to RELOCATION OF STATE FAIR IN DAVIDSON COUNTY OR METRO AREA

Archived