One Beale (new) |Grand Hyatt, Hyatt Centric hotel, Caption by Hyatt hotel, apartments

VSRJ

On 11/14/2022 at 10:09 AM, Memphisborn said:

Plans were previously floated for a black theater museum by Hatiloo. It never materialized. Would love to see it brought back as a possibility maybe in the Up and coming Edge district. There are a lot of vacant buildings there and it’s were hatiloo got it’s start. CA building could also be a possibility along with a mix of other uses. Mural art Maze is also great concept. Not sure about the cat/ dog museum.

I thought the suggestion for the black theater museum was that of the poster, I didn't know it was the Hattiloo Theater that proposed it. I thought it was a good idea and I would love to see it happen. I wonder if Opera Memphis has selected the location of their new home. I know they were looking at Midtown, near Crosstown, but I also think they were looking in the Edge too. 

• Like 1

On 11/14/2022 at 5:26 PM, James Owen said:

I watched the whole interview, and largely agreed with mostly everything Chance Carlisle said. He is committed to Memphis and is firmly of the belief that "a rising tide lifts all boats". At the same time, he is hoping that the next administration (whoever that might be) will be more hands-on and see things the way he and others in the business community sees them.

He's definitely committed to Memphis and that 18% going to minority contractors, in the city, will definitely raise all boats with the tide.  I noticed he said, Loews is still committed to Memphis and he appeared confident that the Marriott deal will get done. It's almost like his interview was to reassure everyone the deal isn't dead. I find it odd that the city would own the convention space in the hotel.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JTM1 said:

I thought the suggestion for the black theater museum was that of the poster, I didn't know it was the Hattiloo Theater that proposed it. I thought it was a good idea and I would love to see it happen. I wonder if Opera Memphis has selected the location of their new home. I know they were looking at Midtown, near Crosstown, but I also think they were looking in the Edge too. 

Yes the edge is the number one option for opera Memphis I can see it being a great addition to the up and coming edge district. Not sure which building they have an eye on but a CA article stated it was close to sun studio. 

1 hour ago, JTM1 said:

He's definitely committed to Memphis and that 18% going to minority contractors, in the city, will definitely raise all boats with the tide.  I noticed he said, Loews is still committed to Memphis and he appeared confident that the Marriott deal will get done. It's almost like his interview was to reassure everyone the deal isn't dead. I find it odd that the city would own the convention space in the hotel.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheKernel91 said:

No way the Hyatt doesn't happen. I do find that comment on Loews interesting. Being on that side of the business, there's no telling what he know is brewing behind scenes for the city.

Really do hope it comes back in line.  After the jabs back in forth between Carlisle & Strickland, that was a good interview and he said the right things.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheKernel91 said:

No way the Hyatt doesn't happen. I do find that comment on Loews interesting. Being on that side of the business, there's no telling what he know is brewing behind scenes for the city.

Would love to see Lowes @ civic center plaza that was a great location for a full service Hotel with that addition, Grand Hyatt convention campus, Sheraton expansion, 100N main full service hotel, Dream Hotel. We are destined for NBA all star weekend here in the M 

• Like 2

Is there a special tax district set up for downtown that would help defray these costs?  I'm referring to something like what's being proposed at the Titans stadium at the East Bank. I think there are several districts like it in Tennessee, although I'm not aware of one here in chattanooga. I think maybe the Gulch in Nashville. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

Yes the edge is the number one option for opera Memphis I can see it being a great addition to the up and coming edge district. Not sure which building they have an eye on but a CA article stated it was close to sun studio. 

I'm sure Opera Memphis will build a new structure, and right off hand, I can't think of any property, near Sun Studio, they would use. 

I hate Gannett sold the building to someone with no personal ties to Memphis, because the CA property has so much potential. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MDC26 said:

Really do hope it comes back in line.  After the jabs back in forth between Carlisle & Strickland, that was a good interview and he said the right things.  

As long as it comes from a good place. If he really cares about Memphis, or both, they should bury the hatchet and do what’s best for the city. We’ve been through too much as it is. 

6 hours ago, TheKernel91 said:

It's definitely going to be built.  And he's aware of every group, looking to host an event of some type in Memphis. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

Is there a special tax district set up for downtown that would help defray these costs?  I'm referring to something like what's being proposed at the Titans stadium at the East Bank. I think there are several districts like it in Tennessee, although I'm not aware of one here in chattanooga. I think maybe the Gulch in Nashville. 

I do believe there is a TDZ, downtown, but I'm not sure how far it extends. I know the Pyramid, Pinch, and Convention center are in it. I remember they were going to use it to help pay for the proposed aquarium.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

That was a great insightful interview with the developer. After watching that, I feel like they will eventually find a way for it to be built. 

It will happen it’s too important not to, also site prep work is still continuing and the Grand Hyatt completes the convention hotel campus. He’s waiting on the next mayor elect to give him a better financing deal 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JTM1 said:

I'm sure Opera Memphis will build a new structure, and right off hand, I can't think of any property, near Sun Studio, they would use. 

I hate Gannett sold the building to someone with no personal ties to Memphis, because the CA property has so much potential. 

CA property could be a rising tide to lift all boats type mixed use development. Would love to see a culinary conference center, along with railroad museum/ distillery (Big River) arcade with duck pin bowling possibly movie theater (Indie Memphis)  would be a great entertainment complex 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

CA property could be a rising tide to lift all boats type mixed use development. Would love to see a culinary conference center, along with railroad museum/ distillery (Big River) arcade with duck pin bowling possibly movie theater (Indie Memphis)  would be a great entertainment complex 

Never heard of duckpin bowling before, so had to look it up.  Looks like if bowling and skiball had a baby.  So what did you have in mind for a culinary conference center.  Meeting/banquet rooms with good food options?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MDC26 said:

Never heard of duckpin bowling before, so had to look it up.  Looks like if bowling and skiball had a baby.  So what did you have in mind for a culinary conference center.  Meeting/banquet rooms with good food options?

Yes Meeting, banquets rooms/ event center also culinary school. Similar To CIA. Possibly Southwest or UT could have their culinary school inside.  Here is an example 

https://culinary.campusmaps.com/#!UMAP_2014091014554

18 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

It will happen it’s too important not to, also site prep work is still continuing and the Grand Hyatt completes the convention hotel campus. He’s waiting on the next mayor elect to give him a better financing deal 

He better not wait that long! That would be really messy. Already will have to wait on 100 N. Main until ‘26. The skyline needs to be popping by then, especially when they televise grizzlies games on nat’l tv!

• Like 2

On 11/17/2022 at 7:55 PM, Memphisborn said:

Now, this is a great idea. I never imagined that property as this type of mixed use. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JTM1 said:

Now, this is a great idea. I never imagined that property as this type of mixed use. 

Yes the building is 276,000 Sf. It’s definitely a candidate for adaptive reuse. CA building could become the primary entertainment complex in the edge. You could have a food hall and wine cellar has a 14,000 Sf basement. I have pitched this idea to a few developers they like the concept however we all know money is the great equalizer to all great ideas. I’m hopeful the bond markets will turn around soon. That building is in a prime spot adjacent to the proposed walk development on union residential and hotel also the recently announced rise  on the ravine residential units, Orleans station is almost completed so this adds population, growth and  foot traffic to the edge not to mention opera Memphis will be locating there soon bringing their audience to the edge. what’s missing is mixed use entertainment that’s y CA building is so important it’s positioned to be a rising Tide. 

Edited by Memphisborn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

With the brand new year just underway, does anyone think this final crowning piece of One Beale will resume construction this year?

I'm assuming Grand Hyatt construction has halted, since there are no updates really being posted online anymore, that I could find.

Would love to see this project pick back up and finish. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

With the brand new year just underway, does anyone think this final crowning piece of One Beale will resume construction this year?

I'm assuming Grand Hyatt construction has halted, since there are no updates really being posted online anymore, that I could find.

Would love to see this project pick back up and finish. 

I drove past the site this past week, there were construction workers down there, and I think a backhoe too. Other than that, haven't heard anything.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

I drove past the site this past week, there were construction workers down there, and I think a backhoe too. Other than that, haven't heard anything.

They have finished securing the wall tie backs for the site and have formed a rebar cage, waterproofing and are now about to start concreting the retaining wall around the site.  This will at least stabilize the site from collapsing in.  I think they may stop after this point.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Memphis4ever said:

They have finished securing the wall tie backs for the site and have formed a rebar cage, waterproofing and are now about to start concreting the retaining wall around the site.  This will at least stabilize the site from collapsing in.  I think they may stop after this point.

Yea it’s just to secure the site however Paul young mentioned that 2023 u may see Grand Hyatt return. It’s going to be interesting to follow but I do believe it will eventually get done.

• Like 1