One Beale (new) |Grand Hyatt, Hyatt Centric hotel, Caption by Hyatt hotel, apartments

VSRJ

17 hours ago, Memphis4ever said:

Current photos of work at the site. 

20230116_133813.thumb.jpg.64513abd34721fed2338889e2a3b9d9c.jpg

20230116_134017.thumb.jpg.c0a35ce6b4fcf2e327a13ca3b7998490.jpg

20230116_134012.thumb.jpg.bf992196d669df8c8218c432c061d47e.jpg

20230116_134023.thumb.jpg.0d215fd1ad3b09be74b9c4b701921f33.jpg

20230116_134026.thumb.jpg.14108e10005e9a18dd0a678133f7d145.jpg

Wow, what a perfect site for that hotel tower. 

I really like the design aesthetic for the other 2 hotels at the One Beale Street site. This one would've been a huge achievement.

Hoping they will get it together and build this by later this year, or next. 

16 hours ago, VSRJ said:

Sigh. So close, yet so far. I hope this doesn't turn into Memphis' equivalent of Nashville's Lake Palmer (although something was eventually built on that site).

Yeah, totally agree. Hopefully it won't.

I know Nashville's eyesore "Lake Palmer" sat like that for almost a decade, but turned into a huge success story the past couple of years, with a 35 story and 21 story skyscraper development there today.

16 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Then it is too early to call it dead. Sometimes it just takes a while to dig down to the level they need to go. It looks like that was a pretty large hole and they had to shore up the walls.

Yeah, I wouldn't call it permanently dead, but its not moving forward as planned for the foreseeable future.   

1 hour ago, MDC26 said:

Yeah, I wouldn't call it permanently dead, but its not moving forward as planned for the foreseeable future.   

Projects in Nashville sometimes move slowly at first. This one is a little surprising as I do not see a lot of rock that had to be dug or blasted out, however clay may be a little harder to hold back than the limestone like we have here in Middle TN. Looks like they have to put concrete around the entire inner wall and who knows what else as reinforcement. That may take a little longer.  There is still equipment on site. The telling part is if there are workers on site every day. If there are not, then there is a problem.

If that above picture was taken on a weekday that is problematic, then if it was taken on a weekend.

Just now, smeagolsfree said:

Projects in Nashville sometimes move slowly at first. This one is a little surprising as I do not see a lot of rock that had to be dug or blasted out, however clay may be a little harder to hold back than the limestone like we have here in Middle TN. Looks like they have to put concrete around the entire inner wall and who knows what else as reinforcement. That may take a little longer.  There is still equipment on site. The telling part is if there are workers on site every day. If there are not, then there is a problem.

If that above picture was taken on a weekday that is problematic, then if it was taken on a weekend.

The owner of the project said he's not moving forward at this time because of funding.  It was very well documented with a semi-feud between him and the mayor.  I think they are finishing up things with the site, so that it will be stable and won't deteriorate for if/when the project will be able move forward.  They aren't low-key moving forward with the project, and then all of a sudden a crane is on site, and they are like "Surprise, we were just joking."  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, MDC26 said:

The owner of the project said he's not moving forward at this time because of funding.  It was very well documented with a semi-feud between him and the mayor.  I think they are finishing up things with the site, so that it will be stable and won't deteriorate for if/when the project will be able move forward.  They aren't low-key moving forward with the project, and then all of a sudden a crane is on site, and they are like "Surprise, we were just joking."  

The thing I don't get about that is that in the grand development scheme of things, big-picture-wise, $5 million is not a ton of money to halt a development project. Seems like there should be a resolution somewhere, but stubborness or a distruntled someone on either side is refusing to look for solutions.

That's why I *think* this will go forward with some other developer, or some other hotel property in the future there. The location is way too coveted and I'd think someone with deep pockets could buy this whole thing and finish it they way it should be.

18 hours ago, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

The thing I don't get about that is that in the grand development scheme of things, big-picture-wise, $5 million is not a ton of money to halt a development project. Seems like there should be a resolution somewhere, but stubborness or a distruntled someone on either side is refusing to look for solutions.

That's why I *think* this will go forward with some other developer, or some other hotel property in the future there. The location is way too coveted and I'd think someone with deep pockets could buy this whole thing and finish it they way it should be.

The Carlisles (who are developing this property) have been holding on to this from since the '70s if I'm not mistaken. It's their crown jewel at the moment. I hope they won't throw it away so easily.

• Like 2

On 1/20/2023 at 3:43 PM, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:
On 1/20/2023 at 3:43 PM, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

The developer donated $1.5 million to Tom Lee Park but doesn’t want to spend $5 million, there is something wrong with this picture. When they made the donation and then put the project on hold, they lost respect. The Carlisle’s need to follow through on their commitment and we as stakeholders should hold them to the Grand Hyatt. Walked by the site today and the Grand Hyatt Construction banners are still up, the construction trailer is still there, but there are no building materials in the enclosure across Beale from the site. https://www.pressreader.com/usa/the-commercial-appeal/20220919/281500755108358

90653559-3346-4DF2-8F76-713D2F6DFBFC.jpeg

15E0845B-41D0-47EC-9C3A-81CA45759881.jpeg

CCFFCC8F-D048-4FB7-9E99-AA37E310D519.jpeg

828E8115-4809-4458-8729-6A9D1914DB02.jpeg

Edited by DowntownUrbanite
Additional information
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2023 at 11:50 AM, DowntownUrbanite said:

The developer donated $1.5 million to Tom Lee Park but doesn’t want to spend $5 million, there is something wrong with this picture. When they made the donation and then put the project on hold, they lost my respect. My prediction is that they will switch to a mid-rise apartment building. The Carlisle’s need to follow through on their commitment and we as stakeholders should hold them to the Grand Hyatt. https://www.pressreader.com/usa/the-commercial-appeal/20220919/281500755108358

We have to get the Grand Hyatt, the last major component of the One Beale, finished. With the adaptive reuse of the historic foundry buildings, trolley shed, and adjacent Candy Factory Condos, it reminds me of another great hotel district in Savannah, the award winning Plant Riverside District. This project with it centerpiece the historic power plant is anchored by a JW Marriott and has won many urban design awards including the 2021 ULI Americas Award for Excellence. 

https://americas.uli.org/plant-riverside-district-2021-uli-americas-awards-for-excellence-finalist/

https://www.plantriverside.com

98F5571B-F59A-413B-B726-90EEB0540EE4.jpeg

4D7E0BEC-2FEE-4E3E-82E5-9E25D9164E1A.jpeg

92BE81F2-CF72-40EA-BD3D-EE4126D0A217.jpeg

2558AF0C-03F4-4033-BB66-49B53FA78C89.jpeg

84765474-41D6-4F4E-A957-019C5D62ACD8.jpeg

30EDACD6-75B3-4CD0-A70A-04EB324632F1.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I can't read the full article, but the headline alone is depressing:

With Grand Hyatt paused, parking lot to take its place

Carlisle Development filed plans to build a temporary surface parking lot at the proposed Grand Hyatt site at One Beale. 

https://dailymemphian.com/section/neighborhoods/article/33995/memphis-grand-hyatt-on-pause-parking-lot-planned

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, VSRJ said:

Carlisle Development filed plans to build a temporary surface parking lot at the proposed Grand Hyatt site at One Beale. 

https://dailymemphian.com/section/neighborhoods/article/33995/memphis-grand-hyatt-on-pause-parking-lot-planned

They're going to make it all pretty.  Private parking lot for One Beal.  Could be used for events or food trucks too.  Asphalt will stabilize the ground.  Will have landscaped green space next to it.  Still talking as though he has every intention for the Grand Hyatt, but likely it is years away.  

99581_1200

1 hour ago, VSRJ said:

Well, at least it won't be a vacant lot just sitting. 

All that for a parking lot--definitely bummer news. Hopefully the hotel will be built in the next couple of years. 

That is a depressing result for the years-long "One Beale" announcements and anticipation. Granted, the other 2 hotels are built and turned out incredible. 

Maybe the new hotel could go taller, once it's built. 

5 hours ago, MDC26 said:

They're going to make it all pretty.  Private parking lot for One Beal.  Could be used for events or food trucks too.  Asphalt will stabilize the ground.  Will have landscaped green space next to it.  Still talking as though he has every intention for the Grand Hyatt, but likely it is years away.  

99581_1200

Carlisle already has access to two parking garages the City subsidized, now they want to use the most valuable property on the river for parking. Absolutely no surface parking lots… once it’s approved and built there is little incentive to build the hotel. This will lead to more issues with crime like other surface parking. Remember this headline from the Belz placing a hotel on hold an instead applying for a temporary parking lot? 
https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/money/business/development/2018/07/10/belz-puts-hotel-plans-hold-wants-expand-parking-lot-instead/769058002/

Link added
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, DowntownUrbanite said:

Carlisle already has access to two parking garages the City subsidized, now they want to use the most valuable property on the river for parking. Absolutely no surface parking lots… once it’s approved and built there is little incentive to build the hotel. This will lead to more issues with crime like other surface parking. Remember this headline from the Belz placing a hotel on hold an instead applying for a temporary parking lot? 
https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/money/business/development/2018/07/10/belz-puts-hotel-plans-hold-wants-expand-parking-lot-instead/769058002/

I don’t like surface parking lots either. But, for the time being, it’s that or a muddy hole. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Memphis4ever said:

This whole idea of a parking lot is an insult as the city is basically building a 50 million dollar garage on the hill for his hotels.  id rather he put a park there than a garage.  

I won't argue with you there.

About 30% of it will be grass/landscaped, but yeah, no more surface lots.  

1 hour ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

Why can't these developers have backup plans in case things don't work out?  At least try to put a 1 or 2 story building in its place. Not a parking lot! Ugh. That's what was there before for years. It won't stay like that forever.

I'd actually prefer a parking lot over a 1- or 2-story building. A parking lot is much easier to build over whereas a building would "lock in" the parcel for a longer period of time (too much work to raze a brand new building).

Actually, let's just bring back Joe's Crab Shack (or better yet, Landry's!). 😂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VSRJ said:

I'd actually prefer a parking lot over a 1- or 2-story building. A parking lot is much easier to build over whereas a building would "lock in" the parcel for a longer period of time (too much work to raze a brand new building).

Actually, let's just bring back Joe's Crab Shack (or better yet, Landry's!). 😂

A42AB1D7-2B87-4789-A64C-477A364C77BA.jpeg

• Haha 1