One Beale (new) |Grand Hyatt, Hyatt Centric hotel, Caption by Hyatt hotel, apartments

VSRJ

12 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Why would you not be allowed to say Neshoba? Choctaw word meaning “wolf.”

There was a time during the 90s where the suburban towns of Shelby County wanted to break away and form a new county called Neshoba (in response to one of a few failed attempts by Memphis to form a Metro-style government). That's not to be confused with Nashoba, which was on land now considered a part of Germantown.

On 2/15/2023 at 10:20 PM, James Owen said:

Process has been slow (which was to be expected), but based on what I've seen the last few times passing by the future Aloft (old Tenoke building), they're almost at the finish line.

Slow?  It's at a snail's pace.  They started in 2018.  Does it usually take almost 5 years to renovate an existing building?  They must just have a couple guys doing it all.  

I'm only joking, but it has been very slow.  I'm guessing it wasn't the easiest conversion, then there was the COVID, but still.  Probably would have been quicker to build from scratch, but glad they are repurposing a vacant building.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MDC26 said:

Slow?  It's at a snail's pace.  They started in 2018.  Does it usually take almost 5 years to renovate an existing building?  They must just have a couple guys doing it all.  

I'm only joking, but it has been very slow.  I'm guessing it wasn't the easiest conversion, then there was the COVID, but still.  Probably would have been quicker to build from scratch, but glad they are repurposing a vacant building.  

It has been slow. However it should be nice once it’s completed. Glad they put it to good use and adds to our hotel rooms in the downtown core. Now let’s get Sheraton Renovated & add that JW Marriott 300 room tower. 

On 2/15/2023 at 4:52 PM, Memphisborn said:

Yep unacceptable. I admire their growth however I despise the elitist attitude and mind set. Honestly before it was IT City it was sh- - City. I remember when it was nothing but Country music and a Hee- Haw show.

I admire their growth too, but I admire Memphis as well, regardless of the negativity from the outside. I've heard that Millennials like to move to cities that 1) have a professional sports team and 2) authenticity. We've got both of those. I also believe Memphis fills a niche or niches that Nashville doesn't, which is a great selling point. They have Hee Haw, we have Stax. My preference is Stax.

Grit/Grind forever!

Edited by The Guardian of Memphis
  • Like 2