One Beale (new) |Grand Hyatt, Hyatt Centric hotel, Caption by Hyatt hotel, apartments

VSRJ

Hopefully the requested change won't slow things down too much.

Design of Grand Hyatt at One Beale receives conditional approval

https://dailymemphian.com/section/neighborhoodsdowntown/article/23318/design-of-grand-hyatt-at-one-beale-receives-approval

The Downtown Memphis Commission approved the design for One Beale’s Grand Hyatt with the condition of an additional design submission for the building’s Beale Street frontage.

At a Design Review Board meeting Wednesday, Aug. 4, the commission praised the project for its “monumental scale, quality materials and innovative modern design,” but asked the developer, Carlisle LLC, to reevaluate how the building will provide more “street-level interest” for its Beale Street location. 

2 hours ago, VSRJ said:

Hopefully the requested change won't slow things down too much.

Design of Grand Hyatt at One Beale receives conditional approval

https://dailymemphian.com/section/neighborhoodsdowntown/article/23318/design-of-grand-hyatt-at-one-beale-receives-approval

Yeah, they just want some artwork or architectural detail on that brick retaining wall.  Shouldn't be a big deal.  Once this and the mobility center are completed, those two intersections of Beale St (Front & Wagner) will be radically changed.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

Yeah, they just want some artwork or architectural detail on that brick retaining wall.  Shouldn't be a big deal.  Once this and the mobility center are completed, those two intersections of Beale St (Front & Wagner) will be radically changed.  

A nice mural and some lighting would do well on that side as there's not much else you can really do there without having to alter the design plans. Also, the hotel is in close proximity to Beale Street Landing and the Cobblestones, so activating that side and making it pedestrian-friendly is a must.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Memphis4ever said:

I am missing how your getting a suburban office park maybe your from a much larger city, our suburban hotels look nothing like this lol.

Don't pay any attention to fret.  All he likes to do is criticize and talk down Memphis.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here’s a update on grand Hyatt 

Developer Chance Carlisle said people can expect to see a flurry of activity at the site in 2022, including new dining options and work on two hotels. Fancy’s Fish House seafood restaurant is slated to open in February or March. Work will also begin on Amelia Gene’s, a fine-dining establishment for the 5-acre campus. 

Work will wrap up on the second hotel at the development, the Caption by Hyatt, and a grand opening is currently planned for May or June. Shovels will likely go in the ground on the Grand Hyatt, the third hotel planned for One Beale, in March or April, Carlisle said. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VSRJ said:

That's good that a full-service restaurant with river views is returning. Anyone remember Landry's? (or Joe's Crab Shack in the building's later years)

Yup, I remember.  Also I remember going to Captain Bilbo's (before it was Landry's) when I was a kid.  

• 3 months later...
2 minutes ago, dxfret said:

What a missed opportunity given the prime riverfront location.  The design is so generic and 24 stories won’t make much of an impact on the skyline. 

Wait, I'm confused... isn't this what you said was wrong with the other hotels on site?  And Memphis can't get any development of anything somewhat tall?   So a 24 story glass tower isn't to your fitting either?   Thanks for sharing,.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dxfret said:

What a missed opportunity given the prime riverfront location.  The design is so generic and 24 stories won’t make much of an impact on the skyline. 

That design will be spectacular on the Memphis riverfront.  This is the first large scale project so it cant get too outrageous or it wont happen.  My hopes is this will spur more large hotels once other developers see it will work in Memphis.  But i feel the scale is right and this will really stand out in Memphis.

• Like 3

This is a gorgeous hotel and incredible design!

The location right on the river there, and on the southern edge of downtown, will make a dramatic skyline impact, even though it is not considered a "skyscraper" at that height.

That's one thing I love about the Memphis skyline--the skyscrapers from the Mississippi River and the approach to Memphis from the west look much taller and much more dramatic, due to the flat land surrounding the city and region.

Excited to see this one rise up soon! Great project overall. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Memphis4ever said:

Grand Hyatt Final Renderings

C03-night.thumb.jpeg.0ccbb5b8faf81aeda2c71141087bdf43.jpeg

C01-night.thumb.jpeg.93b819505565efa4738db718a5757c81.jpeg

4-night.thumb.jpeg.a86b2ff04550fb6afbae206dd783f3fc.jpeg

2-night.thumb.jpeg.61b4a3460f19d6dbf4c3c407e697885f.jpeg

4-day.thumb.jpeg.da9b14d4b42a833ac54ed32b3dc2d168.jpeg

2-day.thumb.jpeg.71f5df3e71ef506195d313eb31f69187.jpeg

I like how the Carlisles laid this out. It will definitely add to the vibrancy of downtown.  Having more than 728 rooms, between the three hotels, and more than 42000 sq. feet  of meeting and event space, will certainly help with securing small conventions. It's all just a short stroll  to two entertainment areas of downtown. 

The parking lot north of this that runs along Wagner to Union is going to get some attention too. They're going to redo it and make it festival worthy.

This is a beautiful design and will stretch the skyline even further south down the river. I love it! I do feel sorry for the Hyatt Centric rooftop bar as the views won't be quite as spectacular.

This will be huge for this area of Downtown.

Edited by VSRJ

9 hours ago, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

This is a gorgeous hotel and incredible design!

The location right on the river there, and on the southern edge of downtown, will make a dramatic skyline impact, even though it is not considered a "skyscraper" at that height.

That's one thing I love about the Memphis skyline--the skyscrapers from the Mississippi River and the approach to Memphis from the west look much taller and much more dramatic, due to the flat land surrounding the city and region.

Excited to see this one rise up soon! Great project overall. 

Don’t think there is any official consensus, but Emporis designates 300ft and above a skyscraper. If this ends up being 24 stories, it may be 300 ft. But no matter what, it will stand out. There will be a significant gap between it and the other large buildings downtown, so it will be prominent on the bluff. Waterford Plaza across the street is 16 stories, but a short 16 stories. It will be significantly taller than it. 

I agree about the skyline. They do look taller than they really are. Sitting on the bluff probably helps. I wouldn’t mind having a 50 story tower, but numerous 20-30 story towers works really great. I hope we get some more.  

2 hours ago, MDC26 said:

Don’t think there is any official consensus, but Emporis designates 300ft and above a skyscraper. If this ends up being 24 stories, it may be 300 ft. But no matter what, it will stand out. There will be a significant gap between it and the other large buildings downtown, so it will be prominent on the bluff. Waterford Plaza across the street is 16 stories, but a short 16 stories. It will be significantly taller than it. 

I agree about the skyline. They do look taller than they really are. Sitting on the bluff probably helps. I wouldn’t mind having a 50 story tower, but numerous 20-30 story towers works really great. I hope we get some more.  

The building permit has it listed at 235 feet which would make it 35 feet taller than peabody tower on main street.