One Beale (new) |Grand Hyatt, Hyatt Centric hotel, Caption by Hyatt hotel, apartments

VSRJ

2 hours ago, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

And also, the One Beale Street development has been discussed, talked about and planned since roughly 2004. 

It is amazing to finally see it built (well, the majority of it). 

This last hotel piece is the "crowning jewel" of One Beale. 

I just don't understand why the Carlisle Group - and the city - would let an amount of $5 million dollars cause this development to just stop. There has to be some emotional issue (anger maybe?) from one side or the other causing them to just say "OK that's it! We are done." 

Because for negotations now to cease (from what we see not behind the scenes), that is very odd. Especially for such a high profile development in Memphis.

And also, I'll add a few experiences from my work history--

I used to work in real estate rentals and sales here in Brooklyn from 2003 to 2008. Whenever any new development or redevelopment suddenly halted or stopped or it was just canceled, it was always - always - due to anger or frustration from the development team, over money or constant issues with other development partners or the city. 

There was always a long and storied reason behind why it would halt, and consisted of either of these reasons:  bickering/emotional situation and attachment/baggage/not enough money.

So, I say that, to say there's definitely a long tense and roller coaster history causing this sudden stop. 

That's not surprising.  I wonder how many of those would have gone through, had the emotion been taken out of the decision.  In this case, would Carlisle have still gone through with the project if there was something else that caused the delay that led to the $5 million shortfall?  Like the skeleton of a mastodon was found during the site prep, which slowed down things, and delayed the closing of the loans.  There would be no blame to put on someone else, or get mad because someone held things up.  Would they have found a way to move forward, or would they have said, sorry folks, can't do it now because of the mastodon?  

19 hours ago, JTM1 said:

I agree this hotel is needed, but this isn't the only full service hotel that is in the pipeline. 

I am not sure where you're getting the idea that developers don't have confidence in Memphis, when there is new development happening all across the city. Memphis is attracting the right developers, not just any developer. 

The city is spending millions revamping its parks, community centers, and libraries.  MATA has secured a reoccurring funding stream, thanks to the mayor, and millions are going into upgrading and improving the transit system. There a $100 million dollar Indian cultural center underway,. There's a half billion dollar film studio moving forward in Whitehaven, and the series Young Rock has selected Memphis for the long-term production of the series.  There's so much more happening all across the city. 

Not to reveal much about myself, but there's more that will soon be announced. 

I do believe we are moving in the right direction. Grand Hyatt while disappointing that it has stalled is not the only development in the city. 100 N main poised to break ground 2023, Dream Hotel now moving forward. Liberty park, Orleans station. Hopefully we will hear some news soon about Blue Note hotel/ condo. The big film studio is amazing big feather in our hat.  Memphis Rising

• Like 2

On 11/11/2022 at 7:31 AM, Memphisborn said:

I do believe we are moving in the right direction. Grand Hyatt while disappointing that it has stalled is not the only development in the city. 100 N main poised to break ground 2023, Dream Hotel now moving forward. Liberty park, Orleans station. Hopefully we will hear some news soon about Blue Note hotel/ condo. The big film studio is amazing big feather in our hat.  Memphis Rising

Agreed. What more venues/attractions need to be downtown to truly make it more of a live/work/play environment? The Brooks is a great idea and I’m glad they’re moving downtown. What other cultural offerings can be had?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

Agreed. What more venues/attractions need to be downtown to truly make it more of a live/work/play environment? The Brooks is a great idea and I’m glad they’re moving downtown. What other cultural offerings can be had?

Memphis is a music city so I would love to see us land House of Blues on Beale st (Currently closed New Daisy) or another building on Beale. Also hopefully B.R. Distillery will be looking to move soon as there operations continue to grow. Maybe a 50,000 Sf distillery/ restaurant inside the CA warehouse would make sense. Also puck food hall was doing well until Covid shuttered them. With the economy back moving another food hall. Like the one in Plano tx, offering a mix of Memphis cuisine. Also a another Late night jazz club to highlight Memphis Jazz History. 

2511BC38-AE5D-4FB7-A37F-11884E5F637D.thumb.png.9d7f4ef16682f321537923badcc359f4.png

Edited by Memphisborn

7 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

Memphis is a music city so I would love to see us land House of Blues on Beale st (Currently closed New Daisy) or another building on Beale. Also hopefully B.R. Distillery will be looking to move soon as there operations continue to grow. Maybe a 50,000 Sf distillery/ restaurant inside the CA warehouse would make sense. Also puck food hall was doing well until Covid shuttered them. With the economy back moving another food hall. Like the one in Plano tx, offering a mix of Memphis cuisine. Also a another Late night jazz club to highlight Memphis Jazz History. 

2511BC38-AE5D-4FB7-A37F-11884E5F637D.thumb.png.9d7f4ef16682f321537923badcc359f4.png

Yes, would be nice to get a new food hall, and would be cool if BR Distillert sets up something downtown. There are plans for a Jazz Club at 502 S 2nd. Just don’t know if that is still going forward. 
https://dailymemphian.com/article/23014/jazz-venue-planned-for-downtown-memphis-old-metro-goldwyn

5450ABA9-0783-4EAF-82D1-5B94CDFC5674.png

D3BFCD71-1063-4F49-9E67-B675984D98F7.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MDC26 said:

Yes, would be nice to get a new food hall, and would be cool if BR Distillert sets up something downtown. There are plans for a Jazz Club at 502 S 2nd. Just don’t know if that is still going forward. 
https://dailymemphian.com/article/23014/jazz-venue-planned-for-downtown-memphis-old-metro-goldwyn

5450ABA9-0783-4EAF-82D1-5B94CDFC5674.png

D3BFCD71-1063-4F49-9E67-B675984D98F7.png

Yes I remember that proposal haven’t seen any movement Covid may have derailed plans for this. Hopefully we hear soon if this jazz club is still coming.

On 11/11/2022 at 7:31 AM, Memphisborn said:

Carlisle gave an interview on ABC24 this Week, and it aired this morning. I haven't watched it, because I've was traveling today, but I will look at it when I return home. I was at FF on Friday night and Saturday, I think they should consider attaching a hotel to it.   

• Like 1

22 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

A museum dedicated to African American theater and a mural art park that's designed in the form of a  maze that is spelled out in the letters of Memphis or the international dog and cat museum. I wish that I could take credit for these ideas, but I saw them posted on another site discussing Memphis. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JTM1 said:

Carlisle gave an interview on ABC24 this Week, and it aired this morning. I haven't watched it, because I've was traveling today, but I will look at it when I return home. I was at FF on Friday night and Saturday, I think they should consider attaching a hotel to it.   

They had plans for a Hotel @ the proposed clipper project however that’s dead. I would love to see BlueNote hotel take that lot and build. 

9 minutes ago, Memphisborn said:

They had plans for a Hotel @ the proposed clipper project however that’s dead. I would love to see BlueNote hotel take that lot and build. 

I'm aware of the Clipper, because Billy Orgel, was a partner/advisor to that group. They even changed the height restrictions for that project. Having said that, attaching a skybridge or building over MLK and attaching to FF would be good for business. 

12 hours ago, JTM1 said:

A museum dedicated to African American theater and a mural art park that's designed in the form of a  maze that is spelled out in the letters of Memphis or the international dog and cat museum. I wish that I could take credit for these ideas, but I saw them posted on another site discussing Memphis. 

Plans were previously floated for a black theater museum by Hatiloo. It never materialized. Would love to see it brought back as a possibility maybe in the Up and coming Edge district. There are a lot of vacant buildings there and it’s were hatiloo got it’s start. CA building could also be a possibility along with a mix of other uses. Mural art Maze is also great concept. Not sure about the cat/ dog museum.

2 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

Plans were previously floated for a black theater museum by Hatiloo. It never materialized. Would love to see it brought back as a possibility maybe in the Up and coming Edge district. There are a lot of vacant buildings there and it’s were hatiloo got it’s start. CA building could also be a possibility along with a mix of other uses. Mural art Maze is also great concept. Not sure about the cat/ dog museum.

Ekundayo Bandele (Hatiloo founder) proposed a National Black Theater Museum for the Brooks museum space after it relocates to downtown.  They have not gone through the proposals for the Brooks, since they won't be moving out for a few years.  The new Brooks Museum has been delayed, so that's why things haven't materialized.  I think that would be a great option to take the place of the Brooks, but even if the Black Theater Museum isn't selected for the Brooks space, it's one of Bandele's long term goals.  

https://www.memphisdailynews.com/news/2017/dec/20/hattiloo-founder-proposes-black-theater-museum-for-brooks-museum-building//print

The Cat & Dog museum was proposed by MBJ's Greg Akers:

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2020/02/14/memphis-as-usual-the-next-great-idea-for-the-city.html

Ekundayo Bandele

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JTM1 said:

I watched the whole interview, and largely agreed with mostly everything Chance Carlisle said. He is committed to Memphis and is firmly of the belief that "a rising tide lifts all boats". At the same time, he is hoping that the next administration (whoever that might be) will be more hands-on and see things the way he and others in the business community sees them.

41 minutes ago, VSRJ said:

So when site prep inevitably stops (if it hasn't already)...is it just going to be a giant hole in the ground? What an eyesore. Could another developer swoop in and save the project?

Maybe there's a tiny chance this could be saved still? I dunno the specifics. Seems like  such a very long, tedious and hard road to travel down for over 15 years + of planning,  designing and overcoming major hurdles in general, in order to let $5 million dollars stand in the way of this hotel being built.

Kind of embarrassing and head-scratching as to why.

But if it does abruptly stop, and cannot be saved, I bet the site sits empty for at least a couple of years before anything happens--in order to get past this economic slow down. 

Edited by jjbradleyBrooklyn

1 hour ago, VSRJ said:

So when site prep inevitably stops (if it hasn't already)...is it just going to be a giant hole in the ground? What an eyesore. Could another developer swoop in and save the project?

Yup. Big hole. Carlisle still owns it, so they’d have to sell it or agree to let another developer take it on. There was some wording I read in the agreements that the city/Carlisle had til the end of this month to move forward with things. So, there is a little time to salvage things, I hope there’s some work going on behind the scenes, but maybe it really is completely dead.  

52 minutes ago, VSRJ said:

I admittedly know nothing about how this process works — where does Hyatt fit into any of this? How involved (if at all) are they at this stage of development?

Hotel companies for the most part operate as licensors. They don't build the properties themselves, but do provide support to developers in making sure any new hotel(s) being planned is done to their standards.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, James Owen said:

I watched the whole interview, and largely agreed with mostly everything Chance Carlisle said. He is committed to Memphis and is firmly of the belief that "a rising tide lifts all boats". At the same time, he is hoping that the next administration (whoever that might be) will be more hands-on and see things the way he and others in the business community sees them.

Not to push political favoritism. From who we have running, Paul Young who is Ceo DMC would be a good candidate to win from a development standpoint. 

Edited by TheKernel91
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TheKernel91 said:

Not to push political favoritism. From who we have running, Paul Young who is Ceo DMC would be a good candidate to win from a development standpoint. 

Very true. Hope he wins. Under his watch maybe things can move a lot quicker, or would it? As long as this issue with bickering with developers doesn't pop up.

• Like 1