One Beale (new) |Grand Hyatt, Hyatt Centric hotel, Caption by Hyatt hotel, apartments

VSRJ

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, dxfret said:

For such a prime downtown location this is totally underwhelming.  

I don't think so there will be a second one built behind the face of the building to the left.  The prime location is the parking lot which I was standing in to take the picture.  I think once the building is finished it will be beautiful.  Just wait for the Loews hotel on North Main that will be your spectacular building.  Bigger developments will come we just have to wait.

I was hoping for taller but much better than a surface parking lot and warehouses.   And they've turned out better than I pictured I think.  Plus we're still waiting on the last space behind the hotel overlooking the river (will it still be office I wonder?).  

And I agree about the lot you're on and behind it (plus hopefully MLGW redevelopment at some point), if they're planning apartments/condos on these lots they'd need height for river views for places that would be so expensive.   Hopefully the economy doesn't slow things down too much and we'll see a lot things over the next few years.   

Edited by DRG901

I agree that it's not a groundbreaking design or presence, but it certainly beats what was there before it. Somewhat related, I'm so glad they're preserving the adjacent Ellis & Sons building and incorporating it into the OB design.

• 1 month later...

Apartments on the Front Street side up to 4th floor.   Looking south down Front toward Old Dominick Distillery:

731131431_onebeale1.thumb.jpg.4c2c621adce046bfd815de9884ef8f97.jpg

View from Wagner looking North between Vance and Pontotoc.

ONEBEALE2.thumb.jpg.a194b5cdc9196f222ad4aa2b3d4c6d96.jpg

From the corner of Pontotoc and Front:

ONEBEALE3.thumb.jpg.c61e61b8b3cb7d77f538f414ab21f556.jpg

View of the apartment building that's farther along.  Looking south from Wagner and Beale.  Windows installed.   Siding and brick being put in also:

ONEBEALE4.thumb.jpg.3d9ebe3d4bdcc3c50d1cb640409d2b6f.jpg

And from the same corner as above the Hyatt Centric.  Windows being installed.

onebeale5.thumb.jpg.bffb8401cbab2c9be1a986126b1c2f27.jpg

Edited by DRG901
  • Like 3

This project has been an ongoing saga for 15 (?) years.  First proposal was awesome, shelved by the recession.   I really liked the last  2 tower proposal (30 story hotel/26-27 apartment?) from 2014-2015.   Then they floated the idea of office and other changes and it seemed like it was not happening.   Then the main developer passed and to be honest I thought nothing would happen.  So yes it's disappointing after years of proposals but like VSRJ said it's a lot of nice density that wasn't there so that's still a plus.   And the still undeveloped lot that the largest tower was proposed for is still available.   Was slated for office but with the year that  is 2020 I am not holding my breath, especially with how slow everything else on this has moved.  We'll see.

Edited by DRG901

4 hours ago, DRG901 said:

This project has been an ongoing saga for 15 (?) years.  First proposal was awesome, shelved by the recession.   I really liked the last  2 tower proposal (30 story hotel/26-27 apartment?) from 2014-2015.   Then they floated the idea of office and other changes and it seemed like it was not happening.   Then the main developer passed and to be honest I thought nothing would happen.  So yes it's disappointing after years of proposals but like VSRJ said it's a lot of nice density that wasn't there so that's still a plus.   And the still undeveloped lot that the largest tower was proposed for is still available.   Was slated for office but with the year that  is 2020 I am not holding my breath, especially with how slow everything else on this has moved.  We'll see.

Here's the article with all of the different renderings.

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2019/10/03/evolution-of-a-downtown-developmentone-beale.html

Wow! That's so disappointing to see how the project shrunk and then became just a boxy hotel as infill. But cities have to start somewhere. Memphis has good bones... absolutely terrible city government, but if they can change that in the next few years, the city may rebound. 

50 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Wow! That's so disappointing to see how the project shrunk and then became just a boxy hotel as infill. But cities have to start somewhere. Memphis has good bones... absolutely terrible city government, but if they can change that in the next few years, the city may rebound. 

I think city government has improved a bit in the past decade or so.  And a lot has been invested in the core in that time (Downtown/Midtown/Binghampton-Broad Ave/ U of M campus).   I'm from Memphis, moved away a few years in the late 2000's, moved back in 2011.   And since then several huge projects that brought back several districts and buildings back to life have happened and no one would have thought possible or feasible 10 years ago.  Crosstown is a huge success story, Overton Square was left for dead and about to be bulldozed for a suburban style grocery store and several other rehabs and infill projects have happened that increase activity/bring residents in.   

It's definitely in a comeback mode of sorts but a lot of work needs to be done.   We have been hoping for more height for years and everything always seems to stall unfortunately.    And on that note something desperately has to be done with some of the "big empties" left downtown-- 100 N Main (if nothing happens in a few years I'm all for tearing this down) and the Sterick (there's rumors of interest but who knows?  Definitely something more worth saving) but something has to be done with them eventually.

• Like 2

On 7/20/2020 at 6:08 PM, DRG901 said:

I think city government has improved a bit in the past decade or so.  And a lot has been invested in the core in that time (Downtown/Midtown/Binghampton-Broad Ave/ U of M campus).   I'm from Memphis, moved away a few years in the late 2000's, moved back in 2011.   And since then several huge projects that brought back several districts and buildings back to life have happened and no one would have thought possible or feasible 10 years ago.  Crosstown is a huge success story, Overton Square was left for dead and about to be bulldozed for a suburban style grocery store and several other rehabs and infill projects have happened that increase activity/bring residents in.   

It's definitely in a comeback mode of sorts but a lot of work needs to be done.   We have been hoping for more height for years and everything always seems to stall unfortunately.    And on that note something desperately has to be done with some of the "big empties" left downtown-- 100 N Main (if nothing happens in a few years I'm all for tearing this down) and the Sterick (there's rumors of interest but who knows?  Definitely something more worth saving) but something has to be done with them eventually.

I agree 100% with all of this. Memphis has been on an (albeit quiet) roll for several years now — what's happening in the city is exciting. It's not as flashy as the glass boxes rising in larger cities, but the adaptive reuse to me is so much more interesting. I'd sacrifice height if it meant we had more abandoned or underutilized buildings being brought back to life.

I wish the Sterick would get the "Crosstown" treatment, but I know it's tied up in a complicated building/land owner debacle. I too would be fine removing 100 N. Main from the skyline. It's such a sore thumb, even more so considering it's our tallest.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 10:26 PM, VSRJ said:

I agree 100% with all of this. Memphis has been on an (albeit quiet) roll for several years now — what's happening in the city is exciting. It's not as flashy as the glass boxes rising in larger cities, but the adaptive reuse to me is so much more interesting. I'd sacrifice height if it meant we had more abandoned or underutilized buildings being brought back to life.

I wish the Sterick would get the "Crosstown" treatment, but I know it's tied up in a complicated building/land owner debacle. I too would be fine removing 100 N. Main from the skyline. It's such a sore thumb, even more so considering it's our tallest.

I don't think that the Sterick is in so much in an ownership debacle.  Even though there are separate owners for the land and the building, with the lease to run out in 2027, both have said they would be willing to work something out for a buyer.  The biggest issue has been ceiling height and asbestos abatement.  The ceiling height may prohibit adding HVAC and the only workable solution would be to have every 3rd floor house HVAC to deliver  to the above and below floors.  Loosing revenue from not having a 3rd of the floors occupied,  and the cost of asbestos abatement and rennovation, could be too cost prohibitive for someone to take on.  

^ Yikes. I was unaware of that. Well, if there's any city that can pull it off, it's this one. If you had told me 10 years ago Crosstown would be what it is today, I would have laughed. Granted, totally different structure. But I think we've proved that if there's a will, there's a way.

13 hours ago, VSRJ said:

^ Yikes. I was unaware of that. Well, if there's any city that can pull it off, it's this one. If you had told me 10 years ago Crosstown would be what it is today, I would have laughed. Granted, totally different structure. But I think we've proved that if there's a will, there's a way.

I bet it can be achieved with all the tax incentives (PILOT/Historic Building Credits.)  Maybe on the floors that house the HVAC systems, there would still be room to add small, lower rent units, where they could also utilize the low income unit tax credits.  

I know 100 N Main isn't pretty right now, but I think it could be made to look much nicer.  I'd rather keep it and have it renovated, than tear it down and leave it as an empty lot for a decade or so.  

• 2 months later...

Per the Daily Memphian this evening, there will no longer be an office component to One Beale. Instead, the developers plan on building more apartments as well as possibly add a third hotel to the overall project.

One Beale starts pre-leasing apartments, office element dropped

By Tom Bailey, The Daily Memphian

https://dailymemphian.com/section/neighborhoodsdowntown/article/17586/first-come-first-served-one-beale-starts-pre

The 227-room Hyatt Centric hotel will open next year at the corner of Beale and Front.

Construction should start in six to eight weeks on a 139-room boutique hotel behind the historic façade of the old Ellis Machine Shop on Front.

And Carlisle plans to announce soon the plans for two smaller, historic buildings at the corner of Front and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue, and at Wagner and Dr. Martin Luther King.

• Like 1

Looks nice from what I can see!

Carlisle picks flag for second One Beale hotel, construction to start in November

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2020/10/23/caption-by-hyatt-coming-to-memphis.html

First Caption by Hyatt new build:

jpg.thumb.jpeg.c8866f06c1be14474fd50aba96951525.jpeg

This rendering shows the proposed hotel in gray, behind the preserved facade of the old Wm. C. Ellis & Sons building.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...