Architectural Salvage Warehouse of Detroit

kgourlay

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great Article. I remember when my Aunt's old house built in the early 1900's was stripped down to the shell to make way for a new home depot.

Windows, doors, decorative stonework, tiling, (slightly new) insulation, wiring, copper piping, moulding, oak paneling, cabinets, the fireplace, and light fixtures were all saved and sold off. They got a couple thousand out of it all. Just like the person's hosue in the article, my aunt's home was nothing more than a shell after that... and the house had lost all character making it unworthy of saving.

Makes you want to raid the Statler building doesn't it?

I thought it was great when we had the chance to meet a couple renovating a beautiful brick house- probably 5000 square feet or so. They bought the run down house turned apartment building over 5 years ago, but have taken a portion of their paychecks to rebuild brick by brick. Inspirational, and they are very happy about it even throughout the costly renovation process. I'll have to find out if they sold anything to help with the costs.

Peace from Will

DetroitBazaar

Archived