SC Education Funding

CLT_sc

SC has certainly grown and improved economically.  However, it has failed to a large degree in attracting company HQs on a material  scale and attracting white collar jobs to fill vacant offices.  A big step in filling this gap could be assisted by properly funding higher education in SC.  Here is a set of data that shows how the state funds the large schools in SC v neighboring states.

USC is funded by the state at roughly $158m annually or 12.8% of total expenses.

Clemson is funded at $120mm or 13% of annual revenues.  

In North Carolina, Chapel gets $500mm from the state or 17% of expenses.  NC State received $506mm or 34% of expenses.

in Georgia, UGA receives $435mm or 29% of expenses, G a Tech received 267mm or 17% of expenses.

Florida received $712mm or 25% of expense and FSU received $425mm or 37% of expenses.

Certainly SC is not as large as neighboring states.  But, the gap in funding is staggering.  If we can assist British Airways with $1.3mm to have a couple of weekly flights to London (I am sure other airports are looking for assistance too)we should be able to fund higher education.

• 2 months later...

In the recent legislative session, more funding was provided to higher ed.  As a result, tuition increases were very limited and in some cases dropped.  USC Law dropped tuition by $5k which makes it much more competitive with UGA and UNC. 

Still not where it needs to be, but a good step.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I guess this as good as a place as any to post this.

The Republican primary runoff for Superintendent of Education is next Tuesday, June 28. Early voting began yesterday and ends tomorrow, Friday June 23. If you're interested at all in public education in South Carolina, I encourage you to read up on the two candidates and let this serve as a reminder to go VOTE!

South Carolina's future (quality of life and growth) will always include education. Make an impact at the ballot box. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2019 at 4:41 PM, CLT_sc said:

SC has certainly grown and improved economically.  However, it has failed to a large degree in attracting company HQs on a material  scale and attracting white collar jobs to fill vacant offices.  A big step in filling this gap could be assisted by properly funding higher education in SC.  Here is a set of data that shows how the state funds the large schools in SC v neighboring states.

USC is funded by the state at roughly $158m annually or 12.8% of total expenses.

Clemson is funded at $120mm or 13% of annual revenues.  

In North Carolina, Chapel gets $500mm from the state or 17% of expenses.  NC State received $506mm or 34% of expenses.

in Georgia, UGA receives $435mm or 29% of expenses, G a Tech received 267mm or 17% of expenses.

Florida received $712mm or 25% of expense and FSU received $425mm or 37% of expenses.

Certainly SC is not as large as neighboring states.  But, the gap in funding is staggering.  If we can assist British Airways with $1.3mm to have a couple of weekly flights to London (I am sure other airports are looking for assistance too)we should be able to fund higher education.

This assumes that there is a link between more education funding and attracting corporate HQs and white-collar jobs.  I would think that there could be or would be, but simply increasing funding for one university in a metro area might not make a difference; a larger university system and larger and high-quality infrastructure may be required.  

Has UNC Charlotte been a material contributor to Charlotte’s growth?  Not that I know of.  Conversely, look at the effects of Duke/UNC (and RTP) on Raleigh-Durham.