Design Awards

ertley

Are there any existing awards given out for best design and architecture in Charlotte? If not, I think it would be an amazing thing to start. Every so often I see a newly realized project here on UP that's so good, I think, "They should be recognized publicly for doing such good work."

I also think awards for design achievements in Charlotte would not only reinforce but further encourage better design and planning.

Is this feasible? I mean, if nothing else it could be something begun by UP... In that case, there could simply be a Topic created at a certain point each year--Nominations--delineating the criteria for each category. The categories should be well-thought out--for commercial buildings of specific square footage ranges and/or heights, for residential properties, both large and small scale, even (possibly) individual houses., along with awards for best urban planning. I know several UP-ers have actual connections to the design and development community in Charlotte and could really develop credible categories and criteria.  

There are so many people who are interested in design, in so many different ways, that this could really, eventually, if it took off, help coalesce not only conversation (beyond UP) but meaningful action for better design--through an informed, contributing and participatory community. 

This shouldn't be something that local developers initiate, though, because we all know it would be corrupted pretty quickly. 

• Like 3

There are a variety of groups that do building design awards. AIA NC & AIA Charlotte both have annual awards. USGBC North Carolina, NC Preservation, IIDA Carolinas, and other oddball trade-related like the Brick Industry. There are probably lots of home design awards I don't know about, too. 

• Like 2