What Was Cola's Sq. Mil. in 90'?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just curious. i know its like 128 sq. mi. including fort jackson. what was it in 90' if anybody knows. just wondering

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

about the same. the city limits haven't really grown than much from the late 80's

I agree with randy it was probably around the same (minus the tract of land used to take Columbiana Mall from Irmo). Sometimes I think I'd like it better if Fort Jackson wasn't in the city limits, it's mainly open land and probably deinflates our density level. The only perk to having it is if Fort Jackson close (which has a 100% chance of never happening), the city would already have rights to develop in the area.

just curious. i know its like 128 sq. mi. including fort jackson. what was it in 90' if anybody knows. just wondering

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure, but several areas on the north side of town were annexed in the late 80s to early 90's. I know the Greenview and Fairwold communities for sure. Also, there was a push for some of the areas in the southeast area around that same time.

According to US Census bureau info. I have, Columbia had 108 square miles in 1985, 117 in 1990 and 122 in 1994. Nearly 82 square miles of that is Ft. Jackson.

By comparison, Charleston had 39, 52, 73 square miles respectively, in those same years. Charleston is currently over 100 square miles.

wow. they must've annexed alot of areas were people didnt live yet? does those numbers include all the water too?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you are referring to Charleston, the answer is yes, for the most part. A big chunk of Charleston's expansion has been previously undeveloped land in Berkeley County. However, there has also been annexation of already developed areas in West Ashley, James Island and John's Island.

Those numbers do not include areas under rivers or other bodies of water.

Columbia's largest annexations in the last 20 years have been

1) Columbiana Centre in the early '90s

2) Areas in the southeast. Yorkshire and Stratford are two subdivisions in particular that annexed to replace failing septic tanks.

3) Numerous areas in the 277/Farrow Rd/Two Notch area, specifically Greenview, Fairwold, Belvedere.

Archived