carolinaboy

New Arena

Can we put discussion of the possible new arena here instead of in the Off-Topic or Scope threads?

Edited by carolinaboy

Does anyone think any of these sites are suitable?

I would choose #2 the Scope Site.

• Proximity to existing light rail
  • Underground parking existing
  • Adjacent lot to the east could support a new parking deck if necessary
  • The center (basically) of downtown
  • Proximity to hotels
  • Some distance (currently) to surface water
  • If you draw a square around the perimeter of Scope the area is approximately 300,000 sf. An arena could fit on the site without disturbing Chrysler Hall and the VA Symphony practice facility could be built. (Raleigh's arena covers a little bit more than 300,000 sf of land area)
  • Economic engine for downtown
  • I realize Scope is an architectural icon but, it is old, outdated and expensive to upgrade in it's current form. Perhaps a new arena design could pay homage to Scope in form or materials?
  • Could expedite St Paul's redevelopment/revitalization

Norfolk Arena.jpg

• Like 1

Well, I mean, the topics are kinda all jumbled together at the moment. It's hard to make a dedicated arena thread because Norfolk hasn't made a decision on a direction yet. If they choose to tear down the scope, then the new arena and adjacent renovations would kind of fall under the same topic since they'd generally be talked about together. If they choose a completely different site, then a separate thread is warranted. I was kinda holding off until they made a final decision on the location.