Carroll South of the Ballpark (Greensboro)

cityboi

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Small update via TBJ:

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2021/03/12/pandemic-changes-climate-for-hotels.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_14&cx_artPos=0#cxrecs_s

AC Hotel is still moving forward - Carroll "hopes" to break ground in the fourth quarter of this year. The apartment portion of the project has been tweaked to replace some of the retail component with more apartments. No timetable given on apartments.

So, given the glacial pace of Greensboro development, expect these to deliver in the mid-2030s. Meanwhile, peer cities will complete 10x of this type of project with 1/10 of the fanfare.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2021 at 5:37 PM, jthomas said:

Small update via TBJ:

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2021/03/12/pandemic-changes-climate-for-hotels.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_14&cx_artPos=0#cxrecs_s

AC Hotel is still moving forward - Carroll "hopes" to break ground in the fourth quarter of this year. The apartment portion of the project has been tweaked to replace some of the retail component with more apartments. No timetable given on apartments.

So, given the glacial pace of Greensboro development, expect these to deliver in the mid-2030s. Meanwhile, peer cities will complete 10x of this type of project with 1/10 of the fanfare.

Don't know why construction is at a snails pace in downtown Greensboro. Project Slugger is the only construction project in recent memory that got off the ground and completed fairly quick.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The new Eugene Street deck officially opens. Roy Carroll should start construction on the AC Hotel phase of Carroll South of the Ballpark soon. Carroll stated he will come up with a new name after the SOB jokes.

https://greensboro.com/news/local/new-parking-deck-opens-on-north-eugene-street-in-downtown-greensboro-city-says/article_e2be20ee-d433-11eb-8757-07a57830ebdb.html

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 3 months later...

Another week goes by with no action on this site. This is obviously a more difficult time for the office and hospitality sectors, but I'm surprised that the multifamily portion of this project hasn't started. Housing demand is high, and projects like this are popping up all over peer cities. However, overpromise and underdeliver seems to be a way of life for Greensboro's developers. Carroll's site at Friendly and Hobbs is also still empty, with no apparent progress. 

• Like 3

Another week goes by with no action on this site. This is obviously a more difficult time for the office and hospitality sectors, but I'm surprised that the multifamily portion of this project hasn't started. Housing demand is high, and projects like this are popping up all over peer cities. However, overpromise and underdeliver seems to be a way of life for Greensboro's developers. Carroll's site at Friendly and Hobbs is also still empty, with no apparent progress. 

I agree for sure, it’s depressing living here sometimes when it comes to development.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, GSOstrong said:

I agree for sure, it’s depressing living here sometimes when it comes to development.

I agree. Greensboro development is frustrating. But, downtown remains incredibly underrated to me. Sizable grid with good bones flanked by two universities, expanding arts/culture seen, and Elm St. would be the envy on many peer southeastern cities. Winston has been gaining momentum lately. Only a matter of time for GSO to step up. Other developers would be helpful too. 

• Like 2

Construction is notoriously slow in downtown Greensboro. Its quick in other parts of the city so I haven't figured out why its so slow in downtown Greensboro. Maybe it has to do with construction quality or something because suburban developments are built differently. But to be fair there are a lot of things going on nationally with Covid related issues such as material and worker shortage. As for CSOB, Carroll hit a speed bump  with the city due to the Eugene streetscaping plan by the City of Greensboro. The worst that could happen is delays causing the hotel flag name to change again.

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

City prepares to demolish the Guilford County Mental Health building. The land at the corner of North Eugene Street and West Friendly Ave will be a part of Carroll South of the Ballpark. This will be the first movement in the project since the parking deck was built.

https://www.rhinotimes.com/news/greensboro-to-tear-down-old-guilford-county-mental-health-building/

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 4

City prepares to demolish the Guilford County Mental Health building. The land at the corner of North Eugene Street and West Friendly Ave will be a part of Carroll South of the Ballpark. This will be the first movement in the project since the parking deck was built.

https://www.rhinotimes.com/news/greensboro-to-tear-down-old-guilford-county-mental-health-building/

Geez, about time!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Site work for the 12-story AC Hotel to begin first quarter of 2022. 

The article is mainly about Carroll Companies starting a hospitality management branch but included the timetable for the site work.

https://www.yesweekly.com/business/carroll-cos-expands-rapid-hotel-growth-launches-carroll-hospitality-management/article_92856bd8-3b52-11ec-85e7-6b42a9a4760e.html

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

City has the green light to demolish the behavior health building at North Eugene St and West Friendly Ave. Perimeter construction fencing has been installed. Once the building is torn down, the property will be turned over to Roy Carroll. Hard to believe a year plus has gone by since it was announced that the behavior health center would remain in operation before the building would be torn down.

https://myfox8.com/news/north-carolina/greensboro/eugene-street-downtown-demolition-gets-green-light/

6234d4082e619.image.jpg

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 4

The city is placing a bizarre requirement for Carroll South of the Ballpark. It will need a retention pond. I've never heard of such in an urban center city for a development. Now geese will be flocking all around the development.

https://www.rhinotimes.com/featured-article/city-requiring-retention-pond-for-major-downtown-dev

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cityboi said:

The city is placing a bizarre requirement for Carroll South of the Ballpark. It will need a retention pond. I've never heard of such in an urban center city for a development. Now geese will be flocking all around the development.

https://www.rhinotimes.com/featured-article/city-requiring-retention-pond-for-major-downtown-dev

That is just atrociously stupid. I have nothing else to add and I'm not sure there is anything to add. I understand this is the RHINO Times writing this and they're not exactly a neutral party... but what in the heck?

Could they not add flower beds instead? Surely that would also be easier to work in. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HRVT said:

That is just atrociously stupid. I have nothing else to add and I'm not sure there is anything to add. I understand this is the RHINO Times writing this and they're not exactly a neutral party... but what in the heck?

Could they not add flower beds instead? Surely that would also be easier to work in. 

I agree. The flower beds arebclearly the better option. The fact that the city would suggest a retention pond in the middle of a downtown urban block is beyond bizarre. In addition this creates health hazards with mosquitoes, geese and even snakes.

Edited by cityboi

On 3/26/2022 at 2:25 AM, cityboi said:

I agree. The flower beds arebclearly the better option. The fact that the city would suggest a retention pond in the middle of a downtown urban block is beyond bizarre. In addition this creates health hazards with mosquitoes, geese and even snakes.

Of course, the other possibility was that it was suggested that Carroll incorporate 400 sq ft of flower beds (not an unreasonable request... two 40 X 5 beds would do the trick) and Carroll balked, so the city said that the alternative is a retention pond and now Carroll is running with that idea via his media source.... the RHINO Times.