Carroll South of the Ballpark (Greensboro)

cityboi

4 hours ago, HRVT said:

Of course, the other possibility was that it was suggested that Carroll incorporate 400 sq ft of flower beds (not an unreasonable request... two 40 X 5 beds would do the trick) and Carroll balked, so the city said that the alternative is a retention pond and now Carroll is running with that idea via his media source.... the RHINO Times.

They could probably add the flower beds in the interior of the residential portion. There was an exaggeration in the Rhino Times about the city "halting the project" The city hasn't halted anything but I do think the retention pond is ridiculous. I can't think of any city that has required that in any downtown dense urban development. The city of Greensboro is good for putting up a lot of hurdles for developers who might be interested in building downtown. Its becoming clear why Greensboro isn't seeing multiple large scale developments downtown like in other cities.

Edited by cityboi

1 hour ago, jtmonk said:

What probably happened was the development passed the threshold for stormwater requirements and now must include some type of device for stormwater retention.  A retention pond is one option however there are also underground retention devices that can be used.  I'm sure the developer is fighting back because this can be expensive and is saying the City is requiring a retention pond because they know it will cause more of a reaction with the media than saying their development must include a stormwater device.  Also note that stormwater requirements are passed down from the state, this is not Greensboro throwing up hurdles just because they want to.  Source:  I'm a City Planner (not with Greensboro) and work directly with our stormwater administrator. 

One way or another, I'm not buying the version in the (Carroll owned) RHINO Times as gospel. There's obviously spin involved.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The recent Forbes article about Carroll, was covered by Fox 8 wghp. Either they are misinformed or not up to date on the project, but they are still reporting a 20 story tower.

https://myfox8.com/news/north-carolina/greensboro/greensboros-richest-resident-makes-cover-of-forbes-magazine/?fbclid=IwAR3ZAb1ahMtbGylyeqQeKX1RwU9kaJwvM8Sd52iF_lJNT2lRnF_gnNosLRY

Edited by AlmaPinnix

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Construction Journal's website says Construction on first phase is "expected in August of 2023" . The first phase according to the website will be the construction of a 12-story AC Hotel, retail and an 80 unit apartment building. There will be a total of 348 apartment units.

https://www.constructionjournal.com/projects/details/a13283e20306489dadfe3a9b32a9acab.html

Edited by cityboi

• 2 months later...

Groundbreaking has begun 

Well the development has a new name Carroll at Parkside (3rd name change) and the groundbreaking has officially begun. The 8-story AC Hotel will have a rooftop bar and pool and in addition to the luxury apartments, 20,000 square feet will be set aside for "boutique retail" and "high end" dining options.

https://www.carrollatparkside.com/

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, AlmaPinnix said:

Tower went from 20 stories, to 12, now 8.

Technically 9-stories. Its 8 floors of hotel rooms and there is a ninth story on top which I assume is the bar. But structurally it appears to be 10-stories tall.

The 20 stories was the planned office tower which is no longer in the project. The Aloft at the time was planned to be 6-stories. So the AC will be about 3 floors taller. However down from 12-stories of the AC when first proposed like you said.

Structurally its 10 stories.

Screenshot_20230910-223925_Samsung capture.jpg

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, AlmaPinnix said:

Where exactly is this being constructed?

Also, any word on the development that's being planned beyond the baseball stadium left field wall at the corner of Edgeworth and Smith?

At the corner of Bellemeade and Eugene right across the street from 400 Bellemeade (Project Slugger). No word on the ballpark development but they are late on the announcement. Plans were supposed to have been announced last spring.

On 9/10/2023 at 11:23 PM, AlmaPinnix said:

Where exactly is this being constructed?

Also, any word on the development that's being planned beyond the baseball stadium left field wall at the corner of Edgeworth and Smith?

Considering that project has been talked about for about a year and a half now and the only thing we've heard since then was a literal re-hash of the original article a few months later (around the beginning of baseball season this year), my guess is that it will be a while. Hopefully we'll have something more concrete by the beginning of next baseball season.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HRVT said:

Considering that project has been talked about for about a year and a half now and the only thing we've heard since then was a literal re-hash of the original article a few months later (around the beginning of baseball season this year), my guess is that it will be a while. Hopefully we'll have something more concrete by the beginning of next baseball season.

The new(ish) team owner, Sandler, has been planning and hopefully it's a project that is even bigger scale than the first (Slugger).

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Saw this on Fox 8 News yesterday. The future AC Hotel looks really good at night. The folks building the Westin on the other side of downtown can learn from the architects who designed the AC Hotel. This is what a downtown hotel should look like.

Screenshot_20240229_190700_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240229_191037_Gallery.jpg

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, jthomas said:

I look forward to the grand opening of both hotels in 2034.

In all seriousness, the AC Hotel will probably happen in a reasonable-ish time frame. The Westin is literally on nearly a decade of "talk". 

I don't see the Westin happening and my guess is that the garage quietly opens sans hotel on top in a year or so. When/If the N&R site development happens, that's when I could see a hotel (likely of a "lower" brand) re-emerge in talks. Honestly, 2034 wouldn't surprise me.

The AC will likely open within 3-4 years IMO.

17 hours ago, cityboi said:

Saw this on Fox 8 News yesterday. The future AC Hotel looks really good at night. The folks building the Westin on the other side of downtown can learn from the architects who designed the AC Hotel. This is what a downtown hotel should look like.

Screenshot_20240229_190700_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240229_191037_Gallery.jpg

Nobody is building the Westin. lol.