USDOT Roadway Sizing Study

USDOT is reconsidering standards for roadway design with the understanding that not all roads should be designed the same -- that local conditions; urban design and economic development goals, etc., may be varied. 

This may be a good first step for those of us who think one size does not fit all, i.e. residential streets are too wide.

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/economic_development/right_sizing/index.cfm

• Like 3

Developers in the Raleigh limits/ETJ  (and I believe Morrisville also, if not more) can already build narrow residential streets if they provide off-street parking, typically behind the houses/townhomes in a service alley, and prohibit on-street parking. Hard to imagine those streets getting narrower than they already are.  The street has to be wide enough for two full-width vehicles to pass. 

• 2 years later...
  • Neo changed the title to USDOT Roadway Sizing Study
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is a still shot from the WRAL story showing the rendering of the I-540/70/I-40 turbinate interchange in Garner.  Simple for the user, but wickedly complex. It really isn't like a roundabout.  SMH.

That's I-40 that cuts from the top (west) to the bottom (east). I-540 goes from the left to the upper right, and Hwy 70 goes off to the right, toward Smithfield. 

It's odd to me that I-40 west traffic getting onto I-540 clockwise (headed toward Apex) will get a simple right loop instead of a spin in the turbinate. Certainly there will be a lot of cars making this move, and I wonder if they have provisional plans to put in a turbinate loop for this move.

I know I know, this is hardly "Urban", but it is fun to trace the path of each potential move a car would make passing through there. 

IMG_6849.PNG

Edited by dmccall

Wow - what an obscene waste of land. I bet you could fit a compact city of 25,000 people inside the footprint of that interchange.

I'm curious about how much of the nearly brand-new interchange with the 70 bypass has to get torn up to build this monster. Welcome to America, where every transit project is a "boondoggle", but projects like this get rubber stamped without a peep.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/11/2021 at 4:50 PM, jthomas said:

I'm curious about how much of the nearly brand-new interchange with the 70 bypass has to get torn up to build this monster. Welcome to America, where every transit project is a "boondoggle", but projects like this get rubber stamped without a peep.

From driving through here a few times in the past couple of months, looks like the existing bridges for US 70 are being replaced.  Seems very shortsighted considering that everyone has known for a long time that 540 was going to run through this area.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...