Dickerson & Meridian : twelve 3 to 7 story residential complex; 1,150 units; internal garages; some retail; 14.4 acres; $300+ million cost

markhollin

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

We also have to look at the human element of this because there will be a lot of folks displaced as all of that is section 8 housing. I think they will have to cooperate with Sean Parker in order to get their project through council. You scratch my back and I scratch yours deal. If the Council person is not behind the deal then there will be trouble.

So they will have to have a plan to relocate residents before they can ever start on this project. Someone familiar with the overlay needs to let us know what is allowed as the first project called for 6 to 15 story buildings. Now if they can do all of this by rights, then they can evict and do it without the councilperson.

Maybe WebberThomas or Bos2Nash know that particualr overlay as I know it changed a while back to allow for taller buildings along the corridor. I know it has an amended OV residential overlay.

Without digging into the actual overlay, the Section 8 housing may come down to contracts. Similar to the large development over on Porter Road, they are relocating residents due to the duration left on the HUD contract for the section 8 housing. If the contract is up, then yes they would have an easier path to get the residents out. In my opinion, that would be the wrong thing to do and I would bet Sean Parker would not be behind any form of eviction. 

Personally, I believe this should be done similar to the Envision program where the developer comes in and redevelops, but maintains the current unit count of section 8 housing. Creating mixed income communities creates for a much more equitable community where we see a reduction in the negatives that people associate with section 8 as well as an increase of the benefits of market rate living.

It appears the current RM20 zoning allows for a Max height of 45' after a 15' stepback at 30' tall. The PUD overlay that is there refers back to this base zoning on both height and density as well. so 6 to 15 stories most likely would need to be SP and will require support from Councilman Parker.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Bos2Nash changed the title to Skyline East, multiple 3 to 6 story + single 10 story Residential, 1,500 units(?), 20,000 sq. ft. Retail, 14.5 acres
  • markhollin changed the title to Skyline East, eleven 3 to 6 story structure residential complex, 1,500 units(?), 14.4 acres
  • markhollin changed the title to Skyline East: eleven 3 to 6 story/one 10 story residential complex; 1,500 units(?); internal garages; some retail; 14.4 acres; $300+ million cost
22 minutes ago, WebberThomas4 said:

Pulled this from the Dickerson Pike South plan that was adopted in 2020. A 10 story building would be appropriate at Meridian and Dickerson. 

15A19D41-3CC8-4607-AF5B-B7088C05421D.png

The legend says the disconnected orange squares represent existing local connections for transit.  It shows one running from White Creek north of Fern Avenue.  Does that line really exist? I don't see an existing street that follows that route. If it does exist, it's an example of what I'm suggesting as a solution for BRT with reconnected/connected streets (comment in the Transportation thread from yesterday).  And that whole Fern Avenue overpass needs to be completely reworked. Does anyone here know if TDOT has any plan to do that? 

On 10/1/2021 at 1:08 PM, Bos2Nash said:

Shoot, I wish I had this with me/knew it during the meeting. There was a specific gentleman that I was speaking with that kept griping about the 10-story structure and referencing the community plan. This would've been a great tool to use haha (I have it for next time now)! Thanks for sharing!!

Check out number 6 on their upcoming neighborhood meeting agenda. They’re going to be disappointed when they realize this plan is following what was set forth in the Dickerson Pike South plan. 

B494EF2B-CEEA-4276-95CE-A01E741030A0.png

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

WRT to workforce and affordable housing, is there a max family size for studios and 1 bedrooms? For example, could a father who works at Nissan stadium making 80% of AMI be extremely efficient and live in  a studio or 1 bedroom with his wife and 3 kids, or do families of 4 having to live in a 2 bedroom? 

Looking into this a little bit. HUD puts that guidance on the individual housing authorities (so MDHA would be responsible here i believe). Here is the guidance from HUD's website

image.png.f5b7620bd3237a20716850eb1bc48519.png

Additionally, here is HUD's guidance for parents/children/unrelated adults. 

image.png.6ca2893bdd535846d4d1ffa5d486de33.png

These are all "public housing" guidelines, so this would apply more to MDHA developments than this privately done one, but I believe if you are doing affordable housing one should be considering things such as this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Bos2Nash changed the title to Skyline East: eleven 3 to 6 story/one 10 story residential complex; 1,150 units; internal garages; some retail; 14.4 acres; $300+ million cost
  • 1 month later...

It is remarkable how too many can get their panties in a bunch over 1-2 floors of a proposed building.  

Am I being overly simplistic when I think that any developer who wants to build up to a certain floor should go to Planning Commission first with a proposal 5+ stories over the level they know they want? 

• Like 4

And the pointed issue here is when the residents can be so arrogant as to think in some situations that they can tell a developer they can tell him what he can't do by rights. When the developer has gone in, in good faith and worked with a community (not saying that has not happened here) and the community has demanded this, that and the other. Then the developer has turned around and said screw you, we are just going to build a 6 story building to cover the block that we can do by rights and you can't stop that. I think that has happened a few times and the neighborhood has come out on the bad end of the deal.

Sometimes the area neighbors, think they have so much power and they don't. A perfect example of this is when they tried to do the multi-housing moratorium in Antioch.  You can't stop a property owner from doing something with their property they can do by rights if it is already zoned for that. 

I do applaud many of the developers for working with the neighbors on these projects, but there are times that the neighborhood groups are being very unreasonable.

• Like 4

I will stipulate that the neighbors at the meeting I went to wasn't totally unreasonable. The height at the southwest corner and the blocking of the views were a bit laughable, but overall most of the things they were asking/discussing with the development team were things that the development team has been open to and integrated in.

Could be worse, could be City Lights suing this group saying their view of Dickerson Pike is being blocked haha.

• Like 3