Travel observations and new developments of other cities and countries

markhollin

23 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Do these folks actually think their area would be anything close to resembling what it is today if it weren't known as a neighborhood of Atlanta, but instead, the town of Buckhead, Georgia?   That's pretty close to Bucksnort!  :D

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Do these folks actually think their area would be anything close to resembling what it is today if it weren't known as a neighborhood of Atlanta, but instead, the town of Buckhead, Georgia?   That's pretty close to Bucksnort!  :D

Seems to work for Marietta, Sandy Springs, John's Creek, Alpharetta, Roswell, etc. Though I agree that satellite cities only seem to want to associate with the principal city when it's convenient.

It would be interesting to see if a metro area could maintain a high level of growth (or alternatively a strong brand) without a large/recognizable principal (or twin city principals like Minneapolis/St. Paul or DFW). It's subjective but I think the largest metro that doesn't have a clear principal city is Hampton Roads (just below the Nashville MSA in size). Virginia Beach is the largest municipality but less than Norfolk and Chesapeake combined. But then Hampton Roads has a clear regional brand whereas north-ish Georgia does not.

11 minutes ago, PruneTracy said:

Seems to work for Marietta, Sandy Springs, John's Creek, Alpharetta, Roswell, etc. Though I agree that satellite cities only seem to want to associate with the principal city when it's convenient.

I'm not saying it would otherwise be some poor southern town... the Bucksnort comment was just a joke of course.  But I think if it were never part of Atlanta it would have likely evolved into just another Atlanta satellite city like the ones you mentioned, whereas being a part of Atlanta allowed it to evolve into the go-to high end neighborhood/second downtown of the largest metro area in The South, complete with  heavy rail access.  In anycase, that's all just baseless speculation obviously, I just don't think the residents of Buckhead are fully thinking this through.

Edited by BnaBreaker

32 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

I'm not saying it would otherwise be some poor southern town... the Bucksnort comment was just a joke of course.  But I think if it were never part of Atlanta it would have likely evolved into just another Atlanta satellite city like the ones you mentioned, whereas being a part of Atlanta allowed it to evolve into the go-to high end neighborhood/second downtown of the largest metro area in The South, complete with  heavy rail access.  In anycase, that's all just baseless speculation obviously, I just don't think the residents of Buckhead are fully thinking this through.

I'm not so sure. Cobb County is heading in that direction, with the Battery (Truist Park) being the latest example. And with apologies to residents of Green Hills, Belle Meade, etc., Nashville's high-end neighborhood / second downtown is in Williamson County. Again those just another satellite cities are not badly off even if they are piggybacking on the brand of the principal city.

As far as the Buckhead residents go, they know more about the situation than I do. But Atlanta isn't making much of a case for itself when its main argument against Buckhead City is that they'll lose a big chunk of their tax base. If we want to consider how being a part of a big city helps communities, it can also hurt them as well.

19 hours ago, PruneTracy said:

A point to consider about Marietta, Sandy Springs, John's Creek, Alpharetta, and Roswell is that they were never a part of the city of Atlanta proper.   Buckhead is.  Additionally, Sandy Springs sought to incorporate as a means to not be annexed by the city of Atlanta.  And I think Marietta might actually pre-date (not sure about it) Atlanta.  Point I'm making is, to cite these places as examples of cities that broke away from Atlanta and succeeded isn't really fair IMO.  Again, I'm no expert on the topic.  Just saying the Buckhead situation seems to be different.   I tend to agree with @BnaBreaker in that those residents might want to think long and hard about it.   

Interesting that Mark posted a photo of Dubai above.  The issue of crime seemed to loom large in that article.  The only place I've ever been with a veritable zero crime rate is Dubai.  Godspeed Buckhead.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

We will see what transpires with the Titans plan. I am not sure they will have a lot of height after hearing Brett Saturday at the meet, but it is very early on in the planning process.

How is the city going to get the max value for the land if they don't allow max height? 

Add in all the council members demanding affordable housing... I doubt city will get anything worth while for the most valuable land in Tennessee... SMH. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

The Sports Authority will have control over the land and the Titans will be developing the buildings.

The look will be something like Wrigleyville in Chicago which is more mid-rise and not high-rise in nature from my understanding.

I imagine the Titans will partner with a developer. That developer and the Titans should want to build whatever makes the most money (think of the Nashville Stars rendering but without the baseball stadium, just the mixed-use buildings).

How can wrigleyville make the most $ for the Titans to fund the renovations? If the Titans have the entitlements to build whatever they want and they choose Wrigleyville style neighborhood, that's one thing. But telling the Titans we need Wrigleyville, and it's mixed-income, I am not sure I agree with that. 

• Like 1

Guys I am such a DingDong! I am going through my phone, making room for my NYC trip thinking I have a few pics to download while going through my camera simcards doing the same and low and behold I have 3 years of trips I am downloading into my computer...Indy, Grand Rapids, Des Moines, Omaha. KC , Chicago, Boston, Buffalo, Augusta, Paducah, Gettysburg, Bennington VT, & probably a few more I forgot that were in there. 

I am the worlds worst about downloading photos. I will try and get a few of the best of the last three years or so of travel when I get back from NYC.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

It may all turn back to brown it the current on going drought worsens. Cities like Las Vegas & Phoenix are going to be in dire positions in the coming years if things do not improve and I do not think they will. Twenty five million people rely on Lake Meade for water! Mega droughts in the west have happened before and tend to last for 50 years or more. You can see with the growth of Vegas how Lake Meade shrunk in those two images. It is not sustainable.

Situations like this in the westerns US are going to start driving people and business east at a more rapid pace soon.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Situations like this in the westerns US are going to start driving people and business east at a more rapid pace soon.

100% agree. I've been watching this for the last few years. Great, recent article from 'High Country News'  about Phoenix and it's seemingly unsupportable growth, based on diminishing water sources. We'll absolutely start seeing migration from drought cities/states to wetter ones (like Tennessee).

https://www.hcn.org/issues/53.6/south-water-rapid-growth-in-arizonas-suburbs-bets-against-an-uncertain-water-supply

• Like 1