Travel observations and new developments of other cities and countries

markhollin

On 9/29/2021 at 10:43 AM, MLBrumby said:

Philly has really blossomed over the past 20 years. 

For so long, Philly was held back in terms of height by it's gentleman's agreement that no building could be taller than city hall.   In the late eighties, the first building came that finally broke the agreement and the city's height really jumped.  I've watched  that skyline as it's the closest major one to me.  

As for the Houston stuff, agreed.  Houston's skyline is in my top ten U.S. ones.  

16 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Stern has a unique throwback style that I appreciate especially now in this current era of glass towers.  I posted a comment last week that it'd be nice to see some of the new buildings coming soon in the future have less glass and more stone/concrete exteriors. This building is like what I had in mind. 

I have said the same in previous posts.  Such a building (or two) would be really nice in Nashville.  IMO, it would help visually connect the old and the new.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Binbin98 said:

https://www.thenextmiami.com/giant-residential-tower-proposed-on-brickell-site-where-up-to-1049-feet-allowed/

1049 ft twisting tower announced here in Miami. Nashville needs its own twisting tower that will be below 40 stories of course

Nashville could be Miami’s twisted little sister city?

:tw_glasses:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, LA_TN said:

I highly recommend visiting Toronto. Each city is unique and Toronto has overhead power lines - just like Nashville! But it is interesting to see 3am traffic jams on a 14 lane interstate. High rise clusters in the suburbs. A good bus system + mass transit. There are a lot of square boxes, but there is some amazing architecture. Historical areas preserved. Wrap your head around the concept of Don Valley and why it is undeveloped. And definitely go window shopping downtown, Hudson Bay! 

Toronto is awesome! If you plan to be there in winter, be sure to study the maps of the tunnel system downtown-I’ve never been more cold anywhere than walking a few blocks from the train station to my destination in a Toronto winter!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, LA_TN said:

I highly recommend visiting Toronto. Each city is unique and Toronto has overhead power lines - just like Nashville! But it is interesting to see 3am traffic jams on a 14 lane interstate. High rise clusters in the suburbs. A good bus system + mass transit. There are a lot of square boxes, but there is some amazing architecture. Historical areas preserved. Wrap your head around the concept of Don Valley and why it is undeveloped. And definitely go window shopping downtown, Hudson Bay! 

I could be wrong, but I think most of Toronto's overhead power lines, at least the one's in the urban core, are there for the electric bus system.  Either way though, I agree that Toronto is very much worth a visit.  Such a high quality city! 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

I could be wrong, but I think most of Toronto's overhead power lines, at least the one's in the urban core, are there for the electric bus system.  Either way though, I agree that Toronto is very much worth a visit.  Such a high quality city! 

Not handy, but I have pictures somewhere! The interesting thing was noticing power lines in mid-town areas that were clearly built more recently, say after 1970, that clearly had no bedrock issues (an expense we always hear about in Nashville)

Not saying I would ever want to live there personally, but I agree with you that it appears to be a high quality city

• Like 1

In a weird way when you look at that aerial, you can sorta kinda visualize Nashville if you were looking from the northwest... the strip of hot development along the water, along with the crazy development along Yonge (West End/Broadway corridor)... maybe in thirty years?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

New York's newest super tall will be 418 11th Ave. at 1,500'. Its cantilevered design will feature 2 hotels and office space on the former Hudson Spire site in Hudson Yards (courtesy of YIMBY New York):

That first photo is just really weird!  I hate to say it but I don't like anything about it, I hope they revise this design!

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

We will see how the city of the future does with limited water resources.

In reading that article they described a new interstate highway called I11 which is being planned that I hadn't heard about.  It says it will go from Nogales on the Mexican border and connect Phoenix to Las Vegas and apparently north all the way to Canada when completed.  I've driven from Phoenix to Vegas a couple of times and you have to go on secondary roads which takes forever so I can see why they are planning it.  Of course no one appears to be concerned about continuing the massive housing developments across the desert near Phoenix even after this summer's serious water shortages.  I feel like there's an unfolding disaster that's happening in the Southwest and within the next several years it's going to spiral out of control.

• Like 2