Travel observations and new developments of other cities and countries

markhollin

On 10/29/2021 at 12:17 PM, Bark At The Sun said:

Nice shots of downtown Mobile! I was born in Gulfport MS and grew up spending summers down there...........Ive always thought, that if not for taking the brunt of a major hurricane every 15-20 years, it would be close to the size of Mobile.   

@markhollin, did you visit Mobile for these pics?  I was born and raised there and still have family in the area.  Mobile benefited from the New Orleans diaspora from Hurricane Katrina.

@Bark At The Sun, my wife grew up in Long Beach, MS, and her parents still live there.  They can tell lots of hurricane stories: preparation, devastation, recovery, resiliency.  The loss of the historic homes along the coast to Hurricane Katrina was very sad.  We go down for visits several times a year.

Just now, Mr_Bond said:

@markhollin, did you visit Mobile for these pics?  I was born and raised there and still have family in the area.  Mobile benefited from the New Orleans diaspora from Hurricane Katrina.

Found these shots on the internet.  I've been to Mobile---but it's been well over a decade. 

• Like 1

Those are amazing, @Bark At The Sun!  As soon as the roads were cleared (about two weeks post-Camille) my dad took us over the Coast.  I remember seeing those two ocean freightors sitting on the sand.  To see that picture today brings back a lot of memories!

My in-laws are half a block from the beach.  They did not get water from Camille but Katrina put six feet of water in their first floor.  They used to be the eighth house from the beach and are now the second.  Their homeowners policy did not cover flooding so they had to spend their own money to buy materials to rebuild.  Some Amish men from Pennsylvania provided the labor to rebuild.  They do great work.

• Like 2

Lots to love about Kansas City. I’ve mentioned it on this forum before, but it merits repeating-one of my favorite unexpected treats of a museum is KC’s Arabia Steamboat Museum. If you’re ever in the area, add this one to your must see list!

1856.com

(Plus, Kansas City has more fountains than Rome!)

• Like 4

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

Panama City, Panama.  Population 1.9 million:

I almost retired there in 2006.  I got all of the documentation which was a lot of work, talked to an immigration lawyer and was looking at condos with a realtor.  I could have gotten a new modern 3 bedroom unit with views of the ocean for $86,000!  I backed out in the last couple of days due to the climate which was very hot and humid and the language barrier and the feeling that I didn't know if I'd fit into that culture.  It's a very impressive city though, without a doubt! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MontanaGuy said:

I almost retired there in 2006.  I got all of the documentation which was a lot of work, talked to an immigration lawyer and was looking at condos with a realtor.  I could have gotten a new modern 3 bedroom unit with views of the ocean for $86,000!  I backed out in the last couple of days due to the climate which was very hot and humid and the language barrier and the feeling that I didn't know if I'd fit into that culture.  It's a very impressive city though, without a doubt! 

When considering an expat retirement, it is wise to review the tax relationship with the U.S.  Panama is not the best in this area.  Costa Rica is fantastic.  Mexico is quite good.  Ireland can be a pain at your passing.

There are various aspects to the financial decision?  How are withdrawals from Roth IRAs treated?  What are the inheritance taxes and laws?  Do you need to spend a certain number of days each year out of country in order to keep the taxes low?  And much more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2