Travel observations and new developments of other cities and countries

markhollin

Miami is attempting a Nashville style airport expansion currently as well. I can say from experience its way too crowded here all the time. Compared to the other southeastern hubs like Atlanta, Dallas and Charlotte Miami's airport is terribly designed and underserved.

• Like 3

Spent some time in New Orleans recently and it doesn’t seem like they’ve built any new towers this century. Obviously there’s great historical architecture  in the city, but all of the skyscrapers appear to be from the 70s and 80s. Is there any development there? All concrete slabs, no glass.

Economic and population growth may be stagnant, but there are a lot of exciting projects underway, many of which include adaptive reuse of previously abandoned buildings. There is a decent amount of new construction as well. I'd move there in a heartbeat if the right opportunity presented itself. The New Orleans forum here is dormant, but the thread on Skyscraper Page is very active. I highly recommend checking it out.

• Like 4

I’m not hating on New Orleans, I like the city (outside of the god awful humidity). I was just shocked, after being in Nashville past few years, how drastically little growth there seemed to be. No cranes, new buildings. There’s a weird dichotomy in the South, where some cities (Austin, Nashville, Charlotte) have boomed, while others have receded (Memphis, New Orleans, Birmingham). Seems linked to crime somewhat. 

• Like 3

New Orleans had a construction disaster on the site of project in the core in October of 2019. The Hard Rock Hotel would have been only 18 floors when completed, but now sits as an empty lot after demolition of the severely damaged structure. What might have been a boost for the city became a scandalous albatross. Tough break for a city that could use a streak of luck for a change.

rendering from Nola.com

17BDE480-D0E3-4D96-8DB6-5610B41E893C.jpeg

Edited by donNdonelson2
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2