Travel observations and new developments of other cities and countries

markhollin

They are having a lot of difficulty over there right now. Still having cities in lockdown due to Covid, shutting factories down due to power supply issues due to drought because of lack of hydro electrical production, food supply issues due to drought. Chinese elites are leaving the country not quite as fast as they are in Russia, but they are having a brain drain, not to mention folks have stopped paying their mortgages and there have been runs on some banks.

There is "Big Trouble in Little China" and the communist paradise. Folks are trying to get out of Hong Kong as fast as their feet can take them. GDP growth is down by like half think.

• Like 2

Houston has many prominently placed murals throughout downtown and spread out into many neighborhoods. Today while visiting Houston Ballet I noticed a new one in progress in a somewhat unusual and less prominent location. The Lyric Garage serves the offices, businesses, and venues in the area surrounding the Wortham Theatre Center. The garage has first floor retail space, attractive screening that includes dramatic and variable LED lighting, and is now going to feature a mural on the exterior of an upper floor, enclosed in a glass showcase! I’m anxious to see the finished product, especially after nightfall.

E0EC178D-D54A-4245-9134-5F337253468E.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks for the photos!  Calgary really is a stunning city, like you said, particularly for it's size.  It's skyline punches WAY above it's weight, and I also marveled at how confined the urban growth is to the freeway loop, for the most part.  Generally speaking, Canadian cities, although typically more compact than their American counterparts, still have their fair share of suburban sprawl.  But Calgary, for whatever reason, really didn't seem to that I could tell.   I drove to Calgary from the east and I was just dumbstruck with how within about fifteen minutes drive or so you go from the flattest, emptiest plain I've literally ever seen in my life, to being right smack in the middle of what feels like an absolutely massive urban metropolis.  And it's proximity to trio of Banff/Glacier/Jasper National Parks certainly doesn't hurt either!  Looking forward to the rest of your photos!

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, bnacincy said:

Lotta oil money in that city.......!

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/alberta/article-the-void-in-calgary-how-office-towers-emptied-in-a-once-bustling/

A lot of those buildings are empty or half empty.  They were having vacancy issues before Covid, but seem to be on track with converting some office space/buildings into residential.   Ive always liked the skyline there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, colemangaines said:

@markhollin Thanks for sharing all these pics. From the photos of the office and residential towers it looks like streetfront activation is kind of meh. What was your experience walking around? Did it seem pretty pedestrian-friendly? 

Generally good.  The blocks are relatively small, so if there wasn't much activation on a particular block, you normally only had to walk a few hundred feet to find more choices.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was in Calgary in 2006 (or it might have been 2007) with The Phantom of the Opera tour and had the opportunity to attend the Calgary Stampede. What a blockbuster! The day culminated with the huge grandstands event of Chuckwagon Races and an enormous musical stage show spotlighting the history of Canada’s First Nations. There must have been a cast of over five hundred. Certainly one of my favorite memories of my years on the road!

(attached is a photo from vacay.ca of the grandstands show at the 2014 stampede, just to give you an idea of the grand scale of the production)

716FAD46-7485-4D4F-A128-EA907988FAD9.jpeg

• Like 4

Great pics, Mark.  And this one stood out.  The Saddle Dome!!!

Calgary Tower, Aug, 2022, 10.jpeg

On another topic, how in the world did they get 476 feet out of 38 floors for a hotel?

https://newyorkyimby.com/2022/08/finishing-touches-underway-on-virgin-hotel-at-1225-broadway-in-nomad-manhattan.html

image00004-12-scaled.jpeg

Edited by nashville born
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, markhollin said:

The Calgary Tower is an observation deck built in 1968, when it was the tallest structure in the city.  It is now dwarfed by numerous others. Was a fun and educational trip to the top.

Great photos!  I'm glad that they didn't set height restrictions for new buildings in that immediate area.  That's what they did in Seattle around the Space Needle!  They've sure added a lot in Calgary since I was there and it's very impressive!  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MontanaGuy said:

Great photos!  I'm glad that they didn't set height restrictions for new buildings in that immediate area.  That's what they did in Seattle around the Space Needle!  They've sure added a lot in Calgary since I was there and it's very impressive!  

And thankfully the Space Needle sits off to the side from the core of downtown.  From the north, it gives an appearance of being more in the mix than it really is.  Here's a view from the west courtesy of Google images.

22 Images of Seattle We Can't Stop Looking At | Visit Seattle

• Like 3

1 minute ago, nashville born said:

And thankfully the Space Needle sits off to the side from the core of downtown.  From the north, it gives an appearance of being more in the mix than it really is.  Here's a view from the west courtesy of Google images.

That's true although that's an older photo and I worked in one of those buildings on the left side of the downtown area and today it's surrounded by much taller buildings and you can't see it anymore from this vantage point and downtown has grown towards the Seattle Center where the Space Needle is located in a very big way.  So now there's a height restriction between the Space Needle and the core downtown area but it's packed full of new buildings that are all about the same height.

• Thanks 1