Travel observations and new developments of other cities and countries

markhollin

18 hours ago, nashmoney said:

I have to respectfully disagree. I currently live in Tampa. I'm from Nashville, but have lived in Atlanta, Charleston and now Tampa within the past 5 years.

The Tampa metro does not have a high unemployment rate. US national unemployment = 3.9%. Tampa metro = 2.6%. Nashville metro = 2.7%.

https://www.bls.gov/web/metro/laummtrk.htm

Regarding the infrastructure, yes I-4 to Orlando is a cluster. You have two major metropolitan, tourist, and convention cities within an hour and a half of each other with only 3 lanes each way, with no mass transit. 

Tampa does have toll roads which gives options to folks traveling north or south. One thing I will say is that FL and it's cities take really good care of both the interstates and city roads. They are paved, lighted street signs, signs that tell you which intersection is ahead, and pedestrian cross walks on major roads that require motororist to stop. 

Plus interstates aren't trashy (SC was the worst with litter) and a lot of the exit and on ramps are landscaped and well maintained... Something I wish TN would do more of. 

There are more than a "few" bus routes, plus there is a free trolley system downtown. The bus network actually operate nearly 500 buses, service more than 9000 transit stops, and provide rides to nearly 28 million passengers each year in Tampa Bay.

https://www.tbarta.com/en/commute-tampa-bay/transit/

Tampa Airport was rated number 1 in customer satisfaction and number 1 large American Airport by JD Power 

https://news.tampaairport.com/tampa-international-airport-ranked-no-1-in-industry-benchmarking-air-service-quality-awards/#:~:text=Airport ranked No.-,1 in industry benchmarking Airport Service Quality Awards,passengers for calendar year 2021.

https://news.tampaairport.com/jd-power-names-tpa-1-large-airport-in-2022-north-american-airport-satisfaction-study/

FL may not be for everyone, but it's kind of one sided to make statements with providing data to back it up. 

Tampa traffic is horrible. Tampa itself is a decently nice city with beautiful beaches. Anyone who doesn’t believe me about the traffic should visit Tampa for themselves. 

Chicago: New renderings have been released of the potential future condition of the northern lakefront as part of the Redefine the Drive efforts currently underway. Led by the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) and the Chicago Department of Transportation (CDOT), the study of North Jean-Baptiste Pointe DuSable Lake Shore Drive encompasses the area between Grand Avenue and Hollywood Avenue along the corridor.

With extensive community engagement and design development underway, the team has released the new renders to help answer some of the questions from the public and better illustrate the potential user experience along the north lakefront. Go the this website to see lots of before/after sliders. It's an amazing concept that will create much new park space along the lakefront (courtesy of ChicagoUrbanizeCity):

https://chicago.urbanize.city/post/new-renderings-released-redefine-drive

Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 8.22.36 AM.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KirbsMagurbs said:

Took a trip down the Atlantic Coast of FLA to Miami last week. Pics in order: West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Coral Gables (2), South Beach (2), Brickell and Downtown Miami(4). 

A few brief notes on the trip:

1) Downtown West Palm was nicer than I expected, and I really enjoyed the dinner/night scene on Clematis. 

2) The Riverwalk area in downtown Fort Lauderdale was definitely worth the visit. Very active with boats going up and down the river. I appreciate those who have highlighted that area in previous posts.

3) We stayed in Coral Gables while in Miami, and I really enjoyed the walkability and architecture there.

4) It was great to finally see the Miami skyline, which is exploding, in person. One of the only cities I've been to that has more construction going on than Nashville. 

5) My wife and I both agreed that the overall level of service we received at restaurants, our hotel, Ubers, etc. in Miami was outstanding, and unlike anything we've experienced in the last few years anywhere else. 

WPB.jpg

FTL.jpg

CoralGables.jpg

CoralGables2.jpg

Southbeach.jpg

SB2.jpg

Brickell.jpg

DowntownMIA.jpg

MIAWater.jpg

MIAWater2.jpg

Should have visited me X3

Here are some photos from charlotte