Travel observations and new developments of other cities and countries

markhollin

2 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Seen that skyline grow over the decades. I've wondered how Calgary looks at street level. Anyone here spent much time there?

I have friends who live there and street level is good. Calgary has a remarkable skyline, a major international airport with flights to many countries, 2 light rail lines, has hosted the Olympics, and is an hour from Banff National Park!! And has a population of only 1.4 million - unbelievable!

• Like 4

I was in Calgary for a couple of weeks back in 2007 with a touring show performing at the Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium. I did not have occasion to spend any significant time exploring downtown, but I was fortunate to be there during the Calgary Stampede. That was a great time! Certainly a city with ample opportunities for adventure.

• Like 2

One of the most striking things I noticed about Calgary is how it suddenly just starts when you're driving in on the freeway.  You're driving along in the countryside and boom, you've just entered Calgary.  There's not a gradual increase in the numbers of buildings like you'd see in almost every other city.  They must have very strict zoning laws!  It's a very impressive city without a doubt and so is Edmonton.  One year I drove all the way up to Yellowknife in the Northwest Territories at the north end of the Great Slave Lake and I've also driven up the Alcan as well as the Cassiar Highway and I can tell you that those Canadian provinces are gigantic, Alberta alone is about the size of Texas and BC is about a third bigger!  

• Like 2