Travel observations and new developments of other cities and countries

markhollin

5 hours ago, Dale said:

^ Looks like one of those Escher paintings. Also, does Moscow have the most beautiful pedestrian realm ? 

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=2047505

It is certainly in the debate, I think!  They've always had the majestic architecture, but in recent years they have invested a TON of money into making their public spaces much more inviting and livable, and it definitely shows!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

It is certainly in the debate, I think!  They've always had the majestic architecture, but in recent years they have invested a TON of money into making their public spaces much more inviting and livable, and it definitely shows!

$3 Billion on streets alone. 73 new metro stations since 2010. Hundreds of miles of new commuter lines in that time. Active plans to replace every diesel bus with electric buses. STAGGERING change.

• Like 3

On 5/14/2019 at 7:20 PM, Dale said:

“I shall return ... and take Tokyo for Country Music.”

— General Douglas MacArthur —

Charlie Nagatani is a long time advocate of country music in Japan. Now in his eighties, he has made dozens of trips to Nashville for guest appearances on the Grand Ole Opry, his latest being last night! The photo below is Charlie with two members of the group Riders in the Sky, from their website.

http://countryangeldiva.tripod.com/starcountry/id197.html

45854DB8-DC64-437B-B3A5-A510E257D4C2.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, TheRaglander said:

In Chicago for 10 days of training and I absolutely love the architecture here.  Amazing.  This one, while still under construction, may be my favorite    

The angles, the tinting of glass are all beautiful.  

Edit: about 1200’ tall 

E96737FB-8533-4AC1-8EA9-942BDB3B9FF4.jpeg

I think we were up there about the same time. I have pics but have not posted. The above is around 900'  I think as it is not much taller than Aqua which is right behind it and its not quite 900'. If you are looking straight south down Michigan there is another one that is topped and that is NEMA and is 896' and is about the same height. Actually Now that I look, this one is supposed to be 1191, but itt does not play that much taller than Aqua.

Sorry I don’t have any pictures to share, but I just made my first visit to NYC’s Highline. That thing is magnificent! It’s a very tranquil retreat from the chaos of street level in Manhattan. We walked it from 14th up to Hudson Yards and the Vessel. It was one of my favorite parts of the trip. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, nashvillwill said:

Sorry I don’t have any pictures to share, but I just made my first visit to NYC’s Highline. That thing is magnificent! It’s a very tranquil retreat from the chaos of street level in Manhattan. We walked it from 14th up to Hudson Yards and the Vessel. It was one of my favorite parts of the trip. 

I totally agree with you... it is a magnificent asset for that city.  My uncle is one of the higher ups at The Standard Hotel, which is built directly over the High Line, so that is where I usually stay when I visit due to discounts, and I just love getting out there and walking the length of it.  It is such a singular NYC experience.  We actually have something similar here in Logan Square/Humboldt Park in Chicago called the 606, and it's great, but being in the middle of Manhattan surrounded on all sides by highrises is just another level.

On 5/28/2019 at 10:54 PM, LA_TN said:

Rotary Trail in the Magic City (Birmingham, AL)

Opened in 2016 and stretches from 20th to 24th in the "1st Ave cut", of the former Seaboard Air Lines Railroad. This is part of a larger trail system. I was able to get pics without people, but there were a few folks there walking, jogging, and just hanging out

I like this project a lot, but feels a little unsafe. 

• Like 1

I just returned from Spain, including Madrid, Valencia and Barcelona.  I have too many pictures so will try and get a few of the highlights on here soon.  One of the things the Spanish do well is maintain the unique architecture, they will not allow historical buildings to be torn down, they do allow them the be "reforma" which means they must keep the exterior façade but can basically build an entirely new building behind the façade.  (similar to our one like the Dream Hotel)  They also cover the entire structure in netting with the netting showing exactly how the building will look when completed.  They do not close sidewalks or roads anywhere for construction and all three of these cities, the three largest in Spain, have fantastic subways, busses and bike lanes.  You rarely saw traffic issues.  We also took the train between the three cities and like virtually every other European country, the trains are great, on time, quiet, comfortable, affordable and super fast.  All three are great to visit and Barcelona, in my opinion, compares with the best I have been to in Europe....Paris, Vienna, Rome, London and Stockholm.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1