markhollin

Travel observations of other cities and countries

There are a lot of people of German decent there for sure. I have a good friend that is from EVille as they say up there and he talks about all the folks he went to school with and about 50 % have German last names.

There were also a lot of marketing studies done in Evansville as you will see a lot of products sold there even today as it is a test market. If it does well there it will do well other places.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

There were also a lot of marketing studies done in Evansville as you will see a lot of products sold there even today as it is a test market. If it does well there it will do well other places.

When I was a kid visiting some family friends in Evansville, Pringles potato chips were being test-marketed there.  We loved them so much that our friends would buy a box full and mail them to us every month or so.

On 6/17/2019 at 1:30 PM, Mr_Bond said:

Born and raised in Mobile, I visit often to see family.  A port city of any size has a slight cosmopolitan feel.  Lots of water (Mobile is the rainiest city in the U.S. receiving over 66" per year).  Beautiful trees, old homes and buildings.  Fantastic seafood.  Close to New Orleans and the white sand beaches that start at Gulf Shores and go east.   And I've never seen any sight that compares to the azaleas in bloom here.  No wonder it's called the Azalea City.

My favorite city is Venice, Italy. One of my fondest memories is waking up in Venice  to the sound of church bells, then striking out to find a sidewalk cafe that serves breakfast. Stay away from the main tourist areas during the daytime as they are crowded. But in the evening many of the day trippers go back to their hotels on the mainland and that is the time to visit places like St. Mark's Square. The most romantic spot on the planet is sitting at a table there with your wife with a glass of wine while listening to the bands play and watching a full moon rise above St. Mark's Cathedral. I was sitting there once and a young American came up holding a bouquet of roses which he said he had purchased, and since it was Mother's Day he intended to give one to all the mother's on the Piazza. Some ladies rejected them, thinking it was a scam, but it wasn't and my wife enjoyed hers tremendously. 

• Like 2

Here are some phone pictures that I took during my vacation in Miami at the end of May.  One great thing about Downtown Miami is the  Metromover ( automated Monorail).  Pretty much runs North and South through the heart of Downtown and it's free !! 

* Downtown Miami * Brickell Financial District * Brickell City Centre

20190531_110446.jpg

20190531_110814.jpg

20190531_110917.jpg

20190531_111049.jpg

20190531_111340.jpg

20190531_111737.jpg

20190531_120432.jpg

20190531_132604.jpg

20190531_134340.jpg

20190531_134545.jpg

20190531_140449.jpg