Travel observations and new developments of other cities and countries

markhollin

Screenshot_20191208-121855_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4e679ee4dfa240f7709b0e698d8c8dd5.jpg

Interesting article on the residents of Austin are not happy with the crown of the independent building .

"Petition · Fix the Crown on the Independent Austin · Change.org" https://www.change.org/p/the-independent-austin-fix-the-crown-on-the-independent-austin

The top of the Independent Austin looks unfinished and is a stunning disappointment to an otherwise well executed skyscraper.  This campaign is to encourage both the architects and builders of The Independent to address this issue and correct their mistake. This building will stand in Austin for 100+ years and now is the time to do something about this poorly executed top.  The Independent is an award winning design and otherwise beautiful skyscraper; what could be the crowning achievement of Austin is simply not.

https://fixthecrown.org/

SmartSelect_20191208-004037_Google Go.jpg

Screenshot_20191208-121954_Chrome.jpg

Edited by chris holman

It now shows that common folks are starting to give a crap about the lack of imagination and obtuse behaivior of a number of architects, thinking they know whats is best when in reality the designs may not stand the test of time as many of the structures of the 70's have.

Maybe it will serve as a wake up call. Sometimes something that is new and cutting edge is not really what is needed or wanted. They pitch it as wow, that looks cool and different, but fail to understand it may be a visual failure. 

In a lot of ways I think architects need to let common folks vote on a lot more of the designs and do a lot more visual marketing to see what is really visually appealing.  I dont mean to step on toes here, just to say there may be a better way to test the visual appeal of new designs.

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

It now shows that common folks are starting to give a crap about the lack of imagination and obtuse behaivior of a number of architects, thinking they know whats is best when in reality the designs may not stand the test of time as many of the structures of the 70's have.

Maybe it will serve as a wake up call. Sometimes something that is new and cutting edge is not really what is needed or wanted. They pitch it as wow, that looks cool and different, but fail to understand it may be a visual failure. 

In a lot of ways I think architects need to let common folks vote on a lot more of the designs and do a lot more visual marketing to see what is really visually appealing.  I dont mean to step on toes here, just to say there may be a better way to test the visual appeal of new designs.

I agree with you 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Had a layover in Seattle yesterday, and got these shots of Mt. Rainier as well as the new $1 billion International Terminal still u.c.  This link has more info on the unique design and a video showing how it is being built:

https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/news/2019/05/23/sneak-peek-inside-sea-tac-airports-new-968m.html

Seattle, Jan, 2020, 1.jpg

Seattle, Jan, 2020, 2.jpg

Seattle, Jan, 2020, 3.jpg

Seattle, Jan, 2020, 5.jpg

Seattle, Jan, 2020, 6.jpg

Seattle, Jan, 2020, 7.jpg

Seattle, Jan, 2020, 8.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

Had a layover in Seattle yesterday, and got these shots of Mt. Rainier as well as the new $1 billion International Terminal still u.c.  This link has more info on the unique design and a video showing how it is being built:

https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/news/2019/05/23/sneak-peek-inside-sea-tac-airports-new-968m.html

You really lucked out with the great views of Mt. Rainier! I spent six weeks there in 2000 and never saw the mountain through the cloud cover.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

Seattle, Jan, 2020, 8.jpg

1) you got very lucky to get that pic! Congrats! 

2) bridge is cheaper than tunnel

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
25 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

I love San Diego, but it's skyline (collection of DT buildings) is really lacking. Of course, I'd move there in a heartbeat if it wasn't part of California. 

San Diego's downtown is somewhat limited in what it can do height-wise, because the airport is just off the downtown. I noticed those are the same buildings that were there when I visited almost 30 years ago.

5 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

Also had no idea just how big Kimley Horn is.

There's quite a few major AEC firms that barely have a presence in Tennessee. AECOM, Jacobs, WSP, Stantec, and HDR all have less than 25 engineers apiece here. Don't know if that is good or bad. But we do have a number of regional firms headquartered here.

On 5/3/2020 at 6:49 PM, nashmoney said:

Rendering of Norfolk Southern's massive complex

20200503_145454.jpg

This is quite a shock to see. I know a lot about CSX, but little about Norfolk Southern. I would have never dreamed NS needed or could afford this massive of a complex. CSX has been counting pennies, but maybe @rookziecould shed some light on this

On 5/5/2020 at 2:15 PM, Bos2Nash said:

Wow. That's a star-studded tri-cast of architects on that job. Also had no idea just how big Kimley Horn is.

A lot of wow on that board. A lot. Makes us feel really good here in Nashville, goodness gracious

On 5/5/2020 at 7:31 PM, PruneTracy said:

There's quite a few major AEC firms that barely have a presence in Tennessee. AECOM, Jacobs, WSP, Stantec, and HDR all have less than 25 engineers apiece here. Don't know if that is good or bad. But we do have a number of regional firms headquartered here.

This has been a bit disappointing. Still hoping one of our local firms becomes a big player in the US or global arena. But I'm not holding my breath while waiting

• Like 1