Charlotte Pipe &Foundry redevelopment

rockhilljames

4 hours ago, HopHead said:

Whoa wait a second... So this new entertainment complex has an amphitheater as a part of the plans? As in something on the scale of PNC Pavillion? I would love to never have to make the trek up to north Charlotte to see a band again. 

Tepper wants to host the NFL draft (one reason for the amphitheatre probably)...

2 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

IMO, Charlotte already has an “entertainment district” type development and it is called Epicenter. 

It had a bowling alley, Movie theatre, plenty of night places, there was a clothing store, it’s connected to Light Rail, Bus hub, Streetcar stop, over street mall, in the heart of the city beside an NBA arena that hosted the Charlotte checkers (but I think they moved to the chicken coop on Independence).

A further expansion could be done towards CTC redevelopment but the site itself has plenty of opportunity. 

If an “entertainment district” isn’t working out at the epicenter, it’s hard to imagine one beside a football stadium at the pipe land would be more lovely or vibrant? I’m very skeptical of football/sports entertainment district developments. The current location is nice. So long as the developments around the current stadium have solid ground level activation, it’s already in a place with better “entertainment district” opportunity anyway. Romare Park, Latta, Ink & Ivy, allegedly we are told the Legscy Union project won’t be complete doo doo, roof top bars in the area. Etc. 

What happened at Epicenter is a LOT more complicated than "If an “entertainment district” isn’t working out at the epicenter." Come to a UP meet up and I'll explain everything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JBS said:

Tepper wants to host the NFL draft (one reason for the amphitheatre probably)...

Yea, I'm aware he (and the city) want the NFL draft. First time I heard amphitheater mentioned though... Would be curious about the scale of it since the NC Music Factory already has a 5k capacity one right up the road. I selfishly want a 20k one down this way instead of having to go up to PNC Pavilion lol

• Like 2

My jaw dropped lol.

Yea, I'm aware he (and the city) want the NFL draft. First time I heard amphitheater mentioned though... Would be curious about the scale of it since the NC Music Factory already has a 5k capacity one right up the road. I selfishly want a 20k one down this way instead of having to go up to PNC Pavilion lol

Should be around uptown to be honest. It would be central and easily accessible from the metro area.
  • Like 3

I do hope for the eventual return/redevelopment/revitalization of the Epicenter.  I also am beginning to see how the planned Entertainment District around/near the Foundry Area could absolutely work.  It is now currently cutoff and distant from most of Uptown but I am surprised how quickly the Gold District area is developing.  It’s totally possible that by the time any new stadium breaks ground (Maybe in the 2029 to 2030 timeframe) that the Gold District could be ‘built out’ residentially and with growth spilling into this portion of 3rd Ward.  SilverLine routing through here would be great but even if that never materialized I think this area would still thrive.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, eastsider said:

An amphitheater (even at 20k seats) is not big enough for the nfl draft.

Correct.  The drafts, since they have moved from NYC,  have been setup on large outdoor stages in downtowns with attendance at way more than 20k.  Nashville had like 200k a day.  How Big Was The Nashville Draft? NFL Claims Crowds Totaled 600,000 | WPLN  News

Edited by InSouthPark
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, JeanClt said:

You think Uptown/Center City could handle a crowd that large?

People wouldn't travel to Charlotte like they do Nashville.  Uptown could easily handle 100k a day.  And those are just general attendance numbers, not just people watching the actual TV part (but its still a LOT of people).  Will be more interesting when it is in KC next year.  If it is a success there, it can be a success here. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, InSouthPark said:

People wouldn't travel to Charlotte like they do Nashville.  Uptown could easily handle 100k a day.  And those are just general attendance numbers, not just people watching the actual TV part (but its still a LOT of people).  Will be more interesting when it is in KC next year.  If it is a success there, it can be a success here. 

KC's Power and Light district is EXTREMELY popular.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Is that what Tepper has planned for Pipe & Foundry, something akin to KC Power & Light District?  At one point, Jags Owner Shad Khan took Jacksonville's mayor to KC to scope it out for an entertainment district planned by that city's stadium and along the riverfront.

39 minutes ago, RANYC said:

Is that what Tepper has planned for Pipe & Foundry, something akin to KC Power & Light District?  At one point, Jags Owner Shad Khan took Jacksonville's mayor to KC to scope it out for an entertainment district planned by that city's stadium and along the riverfront.

Jacksonville's entire downtown waterfront is being developed by Khan right now.

Teppers' will probably be a mix of the Battery in ATL, Power and Light and a few other things.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RANYC said:

I hope Tepper tries to top Shad Khan's idea and turn the Pipe & Foundry property into a lakefront  entertainment district along the banks of the future John Belk Lake.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Jacksonville's entire downtown waterfront is being developed by Khan right now.

Teppers' will probably be a mix of the Battery in ATL, Power and Light and a few other things.

The Battery does a lot of stuff right. Central parking deck, free parking up to 3 hours, walk to a bunch of shops, outside dining etc... good views into the park. Still too much on-street parking in front of the shops (should be drop off/pick up only, not long term parking) and not enough actual green space other than planter boxes, but at least there are wide sidewalks and actual benches to sit.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

I am just speaking on terms of a city people are willing to fly to to see the draft.   Nashville was already a huge tourist destination.  Vegas is vegas.  Chicago and Philly are two of the biggest cities in the US.  While the KC Power and light district might be popular...it it isn't know nationwide and KC is not a place people typically fly to have a good time.   Same for Detroit if they get in in 2024.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 10:54 AM, AirNostrumMAD said:

spacer.png

I have nothing productive to add other than saying this picture makes me very nostalgic to the early 2010s, 1-2 years after college when my body could still handle going out to the epicenter after work on Thursdays until 11 at night

• Haha 3

On 3/10/2022 at 3:20 PM, InSouthPark said:

Curious as to why folks wouldn’t travel to Charlotte like they do Nashville?  Flights more expensive or too far away?  I do think people say that Nashville is more of a tourist destination and Charlotte is more of a business destination.  I don’t travel much so not sure.

Edited by Hushpuppy321

2 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Curious as to why folks wouldn’t travel to Charlotte like they do Nashville?  Flights more expensive or too far away?  I do think people say that Nashville is more of a tourist destination and Charlotte is more of a business destination.  I don’t travel much so not sure.

As SouthEnd grows, and if the Tepper Entertainment District can somewhat be incorporated, I believe SouthEnd will become its own destination. 

• Like 1