Charlotte Pipe &Foundry redevelopment

rockhilljames

2 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Curious as to why folks wouldn’t travel to Charlotte like they do Nashville?  Flights more expensive or too far away?  I do think people say that Nashville is more of a tourist destination and Charlotte is more of a business destination.  I don’t travel much so not sure.

Nashville has more leisure travel pull (in my opinion) because of it's vibrant music scene, historic music industry connections (Ryman, Opry, Hall of Fame), a stronger cultural identity, more historic sights, and a bigger nightlife scene. It gets things like bachelor(ette) parties because of all the entertainment options. Even people who aren't that into country or blues music will often go just to check it out, and I think they're probably more likely to go to the hall of fame there vs non-racing-fans going to the NASCAR HoF here.  It's also their state capitol, and home to a highly ranked private university (Vanderbilt), along with a number of other universities. So there is a certain civic draw just like we have in NC for visiting Raleigh. 

I think by comparison Charlotte will have a stronger business travel vs leisure travel draw for quite a while longer. We do get some people who like urban environments/architecture, race fans, sports fans and UNC Charlotte brings people here. An entertainment district with more options than at Music Factory will help, even if just by having more spaces for live events.  Maybe once people can rent paddleboats on John Belk Lake we'll have that one premium draw that puts us over the top. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Curious as to why folks wouldn’t travel to Charlotte like they do Nashville?  Flights more expensive or too far away?  I do think people say that Nashville is more of a tourist destination and Charlotte is more of a business destination.  I don’t travel much so not sure.

Nashville is like the live music capital of the world, country capital of the world, biggest destination for bachelorette parties....we got the second biggest banking town and literally like one tourist destination that people would come back to (USNWC).   My 15 year old daughter went to Nashville over presidents day weekend..."There is SO much to do there we didn't have enough time".  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

I think some of you are underestimating Charlotte’s ability to attract leisure tourism for an event like the NFL draft. The mindset of draft attendees isn’t “let’s travel to Nashville because it’s Nashville, oh, and the draft is there too”. 

I absolutely agree that special-interest events will draw a different set of people. And they will come based on the merits of the event itself, not the city it's held in. We should go after that stuff (with a reasonable amount of civic investment). But I was providing an opinion on a different question - does Nashville have greater draw for tourists in general, and if so, why? I think it does. 

So it's not to say that Charlotte can't draw with events. It's just that in my opinion we're starting from a lower leisure travel floor vs a city like Nashville (or Austin, or Denver, or Atlanta) when we add those things on. So I would expect our peak leisure travel to still underperform in comparison.   As long as we don't overspend to attract tourists I think it will be good for the city and lead to more organic growth in both business and leisure visitors. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Nashville has some live music and of course the country music capital but it is generally just a fun city with lots of bars and clubs and live music.  Like a New Orleans but safer and cleaner. 

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

one more thing about the new listing from the Biz Journal article

""The property’s northern portion spans 30 acres and abuts Morehead Street while the southern piece encompasses 25 acres and leads into South End. Charlotte Pipe could sell the property or form a joint venture with developers; the latter option is considered likelier.""

• Like 4

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Here is the promotional video from their marketing website

this might have been posted before but it is a good overview of the property which straddles 277.

https://www.irondistrictcharlotte.com/default.aspx

I'm fudgeing embarrassed for whomever put this together. Its so badly designed and they definitely didn't consult anyone on the labels being correct.

3 hours ago, kermit said:

^ interesting that the drone footage is more than a year old, the FNB tower still had a crane over it. The Southend skyline would have been more impressive with newer footage.

Its because the offering memorandum for this site has been out for a year. Saying "it just went on the market" is false.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Curran told CBJ Wednesday, “We’ve not had a conversation with the Panthers in years. There’s no negative connotation with that.” He added that the land can serve “as a front door to the center city” and offers tantalizing prospects because it is situated adjacent to the booming South End area, is bisected by Interstate 277, and is 7 miles from the airport. Wesley Heights, Freedom Drive, and Camp Greene are all nearby.""

This comment and the one about 24 developers touring the site, plus the rendering, gives me doubt that the Panthers plan to put a stadium here. I am curious if Tepper is leaning toward retrofitting BofA?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

This comment and the one about 24 developers touring the site, plus the rendering, gives me doubt that the Panthers plan to put a stadium here. I am curious if Tepper is leaning toward retrofitting BofA?

Wouldn't you do your due diligence as an owner to see what others brought to the table? They might not have talked to Panthers in a year but I am sure they/Tepper have been working on a plan but they aren't going to spill the beans to anyone before something is signed.  Doing their work on ROI before final $$$ numbers.  I dunno. 

It's hard for me to imagine something that big ever going on this site; this type of scale would really need the entire road grid around there to be changed, and 277 to be moved; otherwise, this is the least accessible spot within the entire greater Uptown area (except for Music Factory, which is bad for similar reasons), so I don't know why we would expect like 20 towers to be filled here. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Wouldn't you do your due diligence as an owner to see what others brought to the table? They might not have talked to Panthers in a year but I am sure they/Tepper have been working on a plan but they aren't going to spill the beans to anyone before something is signed.  Doing their work on ROI before final $$$ numbers.  I dunno. 

I would obviously complete due diligence, but hosting 24 developers over a period of 18 months seems like more than due diligence. It seems like plan A, and any other talks may be inconsequential, or plan B at best. That's my point. I imagine if the Panthers were aggressively involved, the city could be involved, too, and that doesn't seem to be the case at face value. 

Edited by J-Rob