Charlotte Pipe &Foundry redevelopment

rockhilljames

41 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

I would obviously complete due diligence, but hosting 24 developers over a period of 18 months seems like more than due diligence. It seems like plan A, and any other talks may be inconsequential, or plan B at best. That's my point. I imagine if the Panthers were aggressively involved, the city could be involved, too, and that doesn't seem to be the case at face value. 

To be honest, I think this is the "s*!t or get off the pot" time.  They aren't going to wait, it sounds, for Tepper to work a deal with the city for a stadium unless he is working on that behind closed doors.  So he might need to buy the site outright and hope to get a deal with the city later.  It's a gamble, but he has the money.  I wouldn't be surprised if he actually makes some money on selling the Rock Hill site.  They have to have their feasibility study on BoA by now.  I still don't see them adding 500mil to renovate BoA if this site comes available.  Will be in interesting off-season!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Maybe now that the Rock Hill drama is over.  But I still wonder if he is in to renovating or build a whole new one.  What is the local appetite for taxpayers dollars for a new build vs renovation?  I don't know and Mr Tepper may not know either.  Does Charlotte Pipe and Foundry want to sell to just one person or multiple entities ?  I dont see how if the stadium is built inside the loop the land outside the loop is needed unless Mr Tepper wants to be a developer now.    Given the current economic state how will this go forward?  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2023 at 6:43 PM, kermit said:

Google Maps can be weird. "Burger King Arena"????

I am relieved the Coffee Cup is only temporarily closed, I enjoyed their breakfast.

image.png.119d7050d1442fc583c2c0f0ed542067.png

You should purchase the domain for BurgerKingArena.com if it's still available

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/11/2023 at 4:54 PM, tarhoosier said:

Beautiful afternoon for a drive to Oakboro and a visit to Charlotte Pipe and Foundry. Spring was wearing her first new frock for this occasion and the green and pinks are fetching on the landscape.

Two facilities in this new area for the long time stalwart Charlotte firm. This on 8th street at the edge of Oakboro town and appears to be in operation. Lots of concrete and cast pipe on the property. Though the building is not so big and a foundry requires more than I see here. Sign says warehouse so I assume no manufacturing at this site. Nonetheless here it is. 

image.thumb.jpeg.f37c0b174b9a3c0e7fd796bc008c524f.jpeg

Gate was open though I did not enter.

image.thumb.jpeg.341913b6d4dfa5f3452d729081aefb07.jpeg

Here is the main plant. Not complete but nearly so.IMG_1401.thumb.JPG.efa2bba5a32f93c46e4981a7e02c90c6.JPG

Another view. Note water tower in background on far side for pressure and supply.

IMG_1402.thumb.JPG.fa6c2ba1206c0725e5280c8625fd63fc.JPG

There are two of these electric service centers

IMG_1398.thumb.JPG.7c7bb65866bda300e3d8c5f018e37fe0.JPGIMG_1395.thumb.JPG.37c58d23089c1960a8761eb5d794fe9a.JPGect

Lighthouse Road side, main entry point. Man working to complete new rail connection.

IMG_1396.thumb.JPG.52087022dedf30713815762071db10b0.JPG

Power from Badin Lake?

IMG_1400.thumb.JPG.4301fef190aa53a8d2916bdbeebd4925.JPG

Power? Ventilation? Scrubbers? in foreground? calling @theronhobbs

IMG_1397.thumb.JPG.787bfaaa0b659f4598fc94c793c9be5c.JPG

No obvious security today though I chanced nothing. All photos from off property.

There will doubtless be fewer employees necessary at this new and efficient plant. Nonetheless the housing options may prove meager for those who wish to move for the job. Locust, Midland, Stanfield are available. 

50 minutes and 32 miles this Saturday midafternoon from intersection of Central and Plaza, FYI.

Great photos. To answer a couple points, yes, they purchased and expanded a warehouse at 424 W 8th Street. Warehouse only. Concrete Pipe & Precast is next door at 20047 Silver Road. CP&F (not to be confused with CP&P) is a separate company and doesn't manufacture concrete. Founded in 1901, CP&F is the nation's top maker of cast iron and plastic pipe and fittings, with 7 plants around the US. One of their plastics locations is in nearby Monroe. https://www.charlottepipe.com/plant_locations.aspx

Clip_1_031323.thumb.jpg.8ab31c575aac41510c7a19e591e4f134.jpg

Limited production has already begun at the Foundry, on certain days. To answer your questions, what you noticed around the Foundry are large dust collectors. There are also several fume collectors.

Google finally updated their imagery of this area a few weeks ago, taken in early November.

Clip_2_031323.thumb.jpg.36b7740b236d052d15711aace71a613c.jpg

Clip_3_031323.thumb.jpg.722bc34630d33f000018f095eb9a86fc.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Thank you @theronhobbs. When searching maps to locate the destination I noticed the street address you provide, 20047 Silver, appears to be a street address from Charlotte. With a number that high what else could it be? Who would have thought Charlotte street addresses extended that far?

Not sure how you found a Charlotte address. Google Maps shows 20047 Silver Road, Oakboro, NC 28129 as Concrete Pipe & Precast. It's my first screenshot above.

• Like 2

20047 means a LOOOOOONG way from the meridian dividing point. What street address originator could invoke such a number?

For mail and emergency response the zip and town or PO location exist. The street number is somewhat sequential, thus my comment.

Edit: Oakboro photos have more likes today than Charlotte Pipe.  What kind of urban site is this?😆

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Haha 3

On 3/11/2023 at 5:13 PM, tarhoosier said:

Bonus!! Oakboro visit

General Store had goods on the sidewalk but I saw no customers though one might walk there.

image.thumb.jpeg.45f1b4ecff621dccb666379fbc75807b.jpeg

"Stuff" for sale

image.thumb.jpeg.dd6f61e9c12a5d15755905b3c94a9c23.jpeg

I quite like this building and the color scheme. No sign, no name, nothing to indicate if it is a business.  Ice cream? Fabric store?  Classic southwestern service station architecture.

image.thumb.jpeg.c0fb3b98942619e5d11b901387ed7c6d.jpeg

The service station here is active with vehicles in the bays. No gas, just mechanic work (I guess).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RC_Cola. Royal Crown Cola was a regional knock-off of Coca Cola and found mostly in the American South. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c0af726c91217a1c31844097532d4cf8.jpeg

Don't forget the 4th Friday of the Month is the Oakboro Cruise-In!

• Like 3

On 3/11/2023 at 4:54 PM, tarhoosier said:

There will doubtless be fewer employees necessary at this new and efficient plant. Nonetheless the housing options may prove meager for those who wish to move for the job. Locust, Midland, Stanfield are available. 

50 minutes and 32 miles this Saturday midafternoon from intersection of Central and Plaza, FYI.

I met one of their employees a couple of years ago and this was anticipated.  He was buying a home in Locust not too far away.  He seemed to indicate many employees already lived in that area or were moving.   I think it will employ about the same if not more people.  

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

Your occasional reminder that the original location for Clt Pipe was South Boulevard between Park and Renssalaer. Electric substation and rail line at rear for power and shipping. There is an historic marker on the sidewalk now that marks the approximate spot. Other industrial sites along the rail line we now celebrate are extant though CPF is not.

• Like 1