Charlotte Pipe &Foundry redevelopment

rockhilljames

On 5/20/2019 at 8:43 PM, InSouthPark said:

PSL owners pay one time prices of $1500/seat and way up for the right to buy season tickets and were the first sports franchise to do so.  Hornets just had regular season ticket rules as you describe.  You get the seats as long as you keep buying season tickets.  Every franchise works like that.  I had season tickets for the gamecocks for 10 years. Same thing. I got to keep my same seats as long as I kept paying. 

This is what I was thinking too.

Figured it would be appropriate to ask this considering it concerns the eventual moving of Charlotte Pipe, but the metallic/chemical smell that is prevalent around the plant can't be healthy. I happened to notice it as far away as the Fourth Ward tonight as I enjoyed an evening windows down drive and it gave me quite a headache, only to be compounded by a car fire I witnessed on my drive back to Plaza Midwood. 

Is this smell common in the area outside the immediate vicinity of Charlotte Pipe? Particularly in the Gold District and of course Third Ward, JWU area. If so, what kind of health impacts might it have had on the people in the area over the years, and could the population boom, and fear of liability have prompted the move?

I have wondered the same thing. It’s a distinct smell, it almost smells like a bandaid. I pass by on 277 daily and on some mornings as you approach the foundry, you can clearly see a layer of haze/pollution that’s settled at about 100-200’ elevation, coming from the foundry.

I'm glad its moving for the air quality improvements more than anything else.

On 5/21/2019 at 5:06 PM, KJHburg said:

Subscriber article in the Business Journal

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/05/20/charlotte-pipe-to-leave-site-near-uptown-charlotte.html

""Charlotte Pipe & Foundry is close to a $325 million deal to move its metal pipe manufacturing operation near uptown Charlotte to an undeveloped site in the Oakboro area of Stanly County, sources have told the Charlotte Business Journal.  An announcement on an estimated $125 million in incentives that were signed into law Thursday could be made as soon as this week, according to one source. That legislation, Senate Bill 505, extends extra state incentives to an unnamed manufacturer, but limits those inducements to $154 million. N.C. Gov. Roy Cooper signed SB 505 into law on Thursday. The bill calls for the incentives to support 1,050 jobs.  The CBJ first wrote about the possibility that Charlotte Pipe was considering a move for the plant last month. Property values have escalated in the area near South End, and nearby development has added pressure on the company to question what is the best use for more than 20 acres on Clarkson Street where it now makes metal pipe and employs about 475 workers.""

I wonder why Stanly county wouldn't incentivize them to relocate to the old Alcoa site in Badin instead? 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, kermit said:

Charlotte Pipe is a crappy location for a park but it would be our only opportunity to build our own version of Seattle's Gas Works Park:

image.thumb.png.176f81c1e6d4fdc37a9ed176123541cb.png

I know I sound like a broken record, but its site is almost over the to of the St. Catherine gold mine. Some kind of nod to it would be an awesome historical note, provide a park-like setting, and enforce the idea of a "Gold District".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Windsurfer said:

Brilliant question

I think it is location Badin is on the other side of Albemarle and the only 4 lane highway goes right through Locust area back to I-485.  I think they want it closer to Charlotte as to keep their employee base and closer to their HQ in Charlotte and other plant in Monroe.  They would have do tear down a lot of buildings to build it on the Badin plant site and that adds cost and time. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I think it is location Badin is on the other side of Albemarle and the only 4 lane highway goes right through Locust area back to I-485.  I think they want it closer to Charlotte as to keep their employee base and closer to their HQ in Charlotte and other plant in Monroe.  They would have do tear down a lot of buildings to build it on the Badin plant site and that adds cost and time. 

I think the people in Badin would want the smell to be farther away.  They can go a couple miles south of Oakdale (near the Rocky River) and have a two mile radius of nothing but farms almost.

14 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

^True... Badin Lake is a recreation and fishing destination after the closure of Alcoa so who would want the same smell that South End has to deal with when the wind blows east?

I thought it would be the perfect place for it too. But realistically, Badin is so small and far away from Charlotte that it's pretty much not even part of the metro so it'd make sense to so be much closer to the actual city. 

On 6/5/2019 at 7:25 AM, ChessieCat said:

^True... Badin Lake is a recreation and fishing destination after the closure of Alcoa so who would want the same smell that South End has to deal with when the wind blows east?

And, you cannot eat the fish out of Badin because of pollution from battery factories upstream as well as some residue from the aluminum plant.  

If Pipe and Foundry is heading towards undeveloped land, I sure hope Stanley County doesn't just allow them to pollute at will in their ambition to create jobs.  It's sad enough they'll be creating more sprawl already.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So a friend of mine was fiddling with some cellphone tracking data (its creepy) and looked to see where Charlotte Pipe (uptown) workers were commuting in from. Its nothing we didn't already know, and the N is kinda small, but the Stanly County move certainly makes sense: (except for the four workers West of the Catawba)

Charlotte Pipe.jpg

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, kermit said:

So a friend of mine was fiddling with some cellphone tracking data (its creepy) and looked to see where Charlotte Pipe (uptown) workers were commuting in from. The N is kinda small but the Stanley County move certainly makes sense:

Charlotte Pipe.jpg

oh my god, I want this ability. I've been so curious about Honeywell, Lending Tree, and a secret company I can't talk about.

• 4 weeks later...