Charlotte Pipe &Foundry redevelopment

rockhilljames

I would like to see Teppers 10-20 year plan.  Seems like he is just kind of throwing stuff out there and hoping something will stick.

Practice facility in SC? Sure!

New stadium? Let's do it.

Upgrade stadium before tearing it down? Very important!

Soccer stadium and facility? OK WHY NOT!

How does it all work together?  WhO cArEs, We ArE mAkInG mOnEy! (by having local governments subsidize it all) 

:dontknow:

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 7 months later...
12 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

So the question becomes, if Tepper buys the land and a stadium goes in, does it go in on the Southend side or in uptown

I'm 100% sure uptown. The factory will require so much soil reclamation, and is completely hemmed in by a parking deck and a large highway interchange, that I bet it becomes a large parking area.

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

So the question becomes, if Tepper buys the land and a stadium goes in, does it go in on the Southend side or in uptown

To me, it's obvious: Build the stadium immediately east of the 77/277 interchange, as close to it as physically possible, where the fragment of West Palmer Street is now, and just bend Clarkson (like they did with Mint for the current stadium) farther east.

Is there anything well-suited to being immediately adjacent to a busy highway interchange? Even if Tepper were interested (assuming he buys the property) in using different parcels for different purposes, it's a little distant and inconvenient from uptown for a Class A office building. Who wants to live immediately adjacent to a busy highway interchange? Only if you build a tall building do you escape the noise and glare of lights at night...

To me, the best use of land immediately adjoining a busy freeway interchange is something like a stadium, where traffic noise and lights won't matter (and Tepper says he wants to build a domed stadium anyway). 

On the positive side, having a stadium nestled in the curve of the interchange would make an iconic setting--and it makes it closer to the Third Ward and within relatively easy walking distance of uptown.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tyree Ricardo said:

I'm 100% sure uptown. The factory will require so much soil reclamation, and is completely hemmed in by a parking deck and a large highway interchange, that I bet it becomes a large parking area.

Cool I didn't realize there was a thread for this property and didn't know where to drop the question.  But I was wondering about soil remediation for this facility.  Glad to see the W Morehead facing part of the site wouldn't need that.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

3 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Cool I didn't realize there was a thread for this property and didn't know where to drop the question.  But I was wondering about soil remediation for this facility.  Glad to see the W Morehead facing part of the site wouldn't need that.

I'm sure it would need some, but the factory itself will need a TON

Yes and no....so much soil will be removed for this, so much concrete will be poured as a floor (which would be considered part of remediation) and the cost of a stadium so astronomical, that the cost of a remediation is really immaterial, and they will pick the best site possible.  

That said, I think it will go in the Morehead, 277, Clarkson triangle, simply because it connects to the entertainment district he envisions.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

Yes and no....so much soil will be removed for this, so much concrete will be poured as a floor (which would be considered part of remediation) and the cost of a stadium so astronomical, that the cost of a remediation is really immaterial, and they will pick the best site possible.  

That said, I think it will go in the Morehead, 277, Clarkson triangle, simply because it connects to the entertainment district he envisions.

I'd agree on your thoughts.  Crudely drawn both green areas are around 26 acres, the CP&F area about an acre bigger.  Left the outer perimeter from Clarkson/Palmer as areas where the entertainment district could be developed by the stadium.  And that'd be conveniently placed between the potential parking area where the factory currently is and the new stadium. 

image.thumb.png.64754082dd7adabe347e38efa687d031.png

image.thumb.png.cb9b3f8e85a143ae6b41f56ee01e4669.pngI started this a year or so ago when I heard that Glick met with Pipe & Foundry people about buying this property, and were planning to move forward. I never finished it, because people wanted to pay me to do stuff, but this is what I'd do, plus all the opportunity you have to realign streets to make a proper grid in uptown.

Edited by Guest

What about an MLS stadium on the BofA site with the new Panthers on P&F, then an entertainment district (ground level retail, bars, dining, residential above) connecting them? 

Also not knowing much about engineering and construction, would it be possible to just remove the upper deck of BofA, using the lower bowl as the foundation of an MLS stadium? Remove most of the stadium then build around the intact lower bowl?

1 hour ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

lol...I was actually thinking Mint st could finally be realigned/straighten when BOA is gone.

Yea I've been thinking about that too, with a park fronting Honeywell.

1 hour ago, Muggsy01 said:

What about an MLS stadium on the BofA site with the new Panthers on P&F, then an entertainment district (ground level retail, bars, dining, residential above) connecting them? 

Also not knowing much about engineering and construction, would it be possible to just remove the upper deck of BofA, using the lower bowl as the foundation of an MLS stadium? Remove most of the stadium then build around the intact lower bowl?

They won't build two separate stadiums, mark my words. It will be one stadium. Bofa Stadium land offers an absolutely incredible development opportunity. 

1 hour ago, go_vertical said:

What's a more likely scenario for the stadium site - class A office or a transition to residential with building heights tapering down? 

I can’t imagine anyone will be investing in large amounts of office space any time soon. 

When this pandemic is over, I think the most prominent lasting effect will be far more remote working. Look for corporate commercial office real estate to plummet in the 20s. 

My guess would be ground floor retail & dining with residential above. How tall the residential will be? No guess. 

2 hours ago, Tyree Ricardo said:

They won't build two separate stadiums, mark my words. It will be one stadium. Bofa Stadium land offers an absolutely incredible development opportunity. 

Unfortunately I think you’re right. It’s a shame too b/c even where the NFL/MLS combo “works,” (Atlanta, Seattle) I still think it looks off. 

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Muggsy01 said:

I can’t imagine anyone will be investing in large amounts of office space any time soon. 

When this pandemic is over, I think the most prominent lasting effect will be far more remote working. Look for corporate commercial office real estate to plummet in the 20s. 

My guess would be ground floor retail & dining with residential above. How tall the residential will be? No guess. 

Unfortunately I think you’re right. It’s a shame too b/c even where the NFL/MLS combo “works,” (Atlanta, Seattle) I still think it looks off. 

I don't agree on the commercial office real estate plummeting notion. I think companies will be more flexible with their work environments where you have the option to work from home, but really, getting out of the house, going into work, and collaborating with others is good for your body and mind. I also think companies will offer much more liberal sick policies. Theres a lot of work that still requires face to face. 

Edited by Guest