Charlotte Pipe &Foundry redevelopment

rockhilljames

4 minutes ago, Muggsy01 said:

I don’t think corporate offices will go away I just think they’ll require far less space. 25%-50% of what they do now. 

I think people will be afforded 30% more space though, "less dense office space" not in building size but in space per person will be increased. Who knows. 

Edited by Guest

9 minutes ago, kermit said:

Don’t forget, if you have discovered that “work from home” is possible for your job, then your employer has probably realized that “work by someone cheaper in Bangalore” is equally possible.

Have a happy day...

:tw_flushed:

10 minutes ago, kermit said:

Don’t forget, if you have discovered that “work from home” is possible for your job, then your employer has probably realized that “work by someone cheaper in Bangalore” is equally possible.

Have a happy day...

Eh in customer facing roles, I would generally DISAGREE.

• Like 3

Back to the stadium, if you remove the Duke parking garage and current headquarters building, Graham could be realigned to reconnect at Church.  Then tear down BOA Stadium and realign it to better fit in the newly acquired parking garage space.  The orientation is not important because it is domed.  Putting a stadium on the other side of the railroad tracks will decrease activity downtown after games by a lot.  Building a new support structure around the relocated stadium would see activity maybe 30 times a year.  What do all those restaurants do the other 330 days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DMann said:

Back to the stadium, if you remove the Duke parking garage and current headquarters building, Graham could be realigned to reconnect at Church.  Then tear down BOA Stadium and realign it to better fit in the newly acquired parking garage space.  The orientation is not important because it is domed.  Putting a stadium on the other side of the railroad tracks will decrease activity downtown after games by a lot.  Building a new support structure around the relocated stadium would see activity maybe 30 times a year.  What do all those restaurants do the other 330 days.

Yep, look at my map!

2 hours ago, DMann said:

So if the stadium is built all or partially atop the same site it’s on now, that wouldn’t allow for BofA to remain standing during construction. Where do the Panthers play, do they go back to Clemson for a season maybe? I would imagine the MLS team would go to American Legion for a summer.

Or am I misunderstanding how you’d align the new stadium? 

4 hours ago, Muggsy01 said:

So if the stadium is built all or partially atop the same site it’s on now, that wouldn’t allow for BofA to remain standing during construction. Where do the Panthers play, do they go back to Clemson for a season maybe? I would imagine the MLS team would go to American Legion for a summer.

Or am I misunderstanding how you’d align the new stadium? 

You're misunderstanding the site plan. Use BB&T... or Truist shall I say for reference. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

If mint is straightened could another tower be built next to Honeywell? Or is the space too small?

define next to? Technically you could fit a hotel tower right beside Honeywell, and then another tower at Stonewall and Mint. I don't think Lincoln Harris will do that though.

Edited by Guest

So I’m sure others have brought this up when discussing a new stadium but it just dawned on me. Roof, fixed or retractable, means Charlotte is going to inevitably host a Super Bowl. I’d imagine very late part of the 20s, maybe 28 or 29, or early 30s. That’ll be wild. 

• Like 2

I'm still hoping anew stadium doesn't get built, Football, Soccer, and Concerts are nicer outside. Hopefully the current situation will buy us a few more years of the ability to enjoy that--once we get that ability  back in the first place.

That being said my money would be on Tepper having one open by 2033.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CLT> said:

I'm still hoping anew stadium doesn't get built, Football, Soccer, and Concerts are nicer outside. Hopefully the current situation will buy us a few more years of the ability to enjoy that--once we get that ability  back in the first place.

That being said my money would be on Tepper having one open by 2033.

A retractable roof on the dome would still allow for you to be outside. 

48 minutes ago, unctarheels said:

A retractable roof on the dome would still allow for you to be outside. 

So far none of the stadiums  really accomplish this well, a small portion of the field is 'outside', and that's it. Atlanta's especially is a joke. Often, given the opportunity they leave it shut, and acoustics are completely different in a domed stadium with its roof open and an open air stadium.

• Like 3

On 5/14/2020 at 2:36 PM, Tyree Ricardo said:

Yea I've been thinking about that too, with a park fronting Honeywell.

They won't build two separate stadiums, mark my words. It will be one stadium. Bofa Stadium land offers an absolutely incredible development opportunity. 

I meant keeping the lower level of BofA as a soccer specific stadium. But I'm not sure what the site redevelopment options are for Tepper. Would he be able to develop with 65 years left on a ground lease, would the default the land back to the city?

2 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

I meant keeping the lower level of BofA as a soccer specific stadium. But I'm not sure what the site redevelopment options are for Tepper. Would he be able to develop with 65 years left on a ground lease, would the default the land back to the city?

Almost certain if another Stadium is built (w public & private funds) that City of Charlotte will Re-control the land existing BofA Stadium is on.  Could probably buy it back/cancel (the lease) for $65 dollars.

24 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

Yes

I really don’t see Charlotte getting a team for several reasons. Mainly because if MLB does expand or Tampa Bay moves, Montreal & Portland in that order are far ahead of any other contenders. To throw a third city in with a realistic shot you’d need Tampa to move and a jump to 32 teams. Possible but need a lot of stars to align. 

Then of course you have BB&T Park which is still so new. Less of a reason to stop MLB but still a consideration. 

• Like 3

On 5/14/2020 at 3:51 PM, nicholas said:

Why not just remove the southern half of 277, and reconfigure the interchange like this?  I can guarantee you that if NCDOT replaced the current interchange, it would be an enormous monstrosity that would take up much more land that the current configuration does, and would cost hundreds of millions of dollars to build.

1216064764_277removal4.thumb.jpg.5ba795517ac8c75c2671f37661f558db.jpg

So US-74 simply goes away? Kind of inconvenient getting to the airport (or west Charlotte, for that matter).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Miesian Corners said:

So US-74 simply goes away? Kind of inconvenient getting to the airport (or west Charlotte, for that matter).

No?  US 74 would simply briefly merge onto I-77, then follow the northern part of I-277 to Independence Blvd.

Edited by nicholas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/21/2020 at 1:52 PM, nicholas said:

No?  US 74 would simply briefly merge onto I-77, then follow the northern part of I-277 to Independence Blvd.

So take already overburdened freeways (77 and Brookshire) and throw twice the amount of traffic on them? All I think that needs to be done is to close the ramps to/from Freedom Drive. You could easily access Freedom via Morehead St to 77, from Wilkinson, or by using Suttle Rd.

Edited by Miesian Corners
Clarification
  • Like 2