Charlotte Pipe &Foundry redevelopment

rockhilljames

Guys...a dome and retractable roof stadiums are two different things.  If we get a new stadium, it will be retractable roof, something like Arizona or Houston.  He  isn't building a Vikings type dome.   "If" he just wanted a new open air, smaller stadium, he is going to have a hard time getting the support and I would see that as a 15+ year project.  I still think we get a retractable roof stadium complete in 10 years or less.  He isn't getting any younger and wants to build his new home. 

I didn't see the mentions about the possibility of a soccer stadium at the existing practice fields.  I really like the idea though.  Would be cool if it could be our replacement for the amphitheater for summer concerts (but if a grass field, which is likely, that won't happen). 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, HopHead said:

I too like idea of the separate MLS stadium that can turn into an outdoor concert venue as well. But like you said, not likely if they go grass which I'm sure they would. I just hate going up to PNC Music Pavillion. On top of the fact it's all the way up by the CMS race track, it's a nightmare to get in and out of.  I used to go there for most any band I was half way interested in. Now, unless it's a band or festival I'm dying to see I usually take a pass. I'm also not in my 20s anymore either lol 

Same. It's a complete nightmare getting out of.  Multiple times I have wanted to go see a show and then I like, "nah...won't get home before midnight".  Last time I was at a sold out show, I couldn't even get out my parking spot for 75 minutes, let alone out the park lot.  For a Panthers game, I can be home in 30-35min after I get in my car (and my house is a normal 25min commute). 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Why though if all the PF land is zoned the same (I-2)? Wouldn’t all the parcels need to MUDD-something?  I have no idea however so it’s a genuine question. 

IDK about current zoning,  but since none of the land has any direct neighbors other than NS I can't imagine rezoning the whole thing would be difficult or contentious. Donwnzoning from Industrial is also generally straightforward. 

Whatever ends up there will smell better than it does now.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

• 5 months later...

According to today's edition of the CharlotteLedger, the Zoning Committee has dropped its opposition to the 55-acre Pipe & Foundry property rezoning petition.  There was one no vote.  Article cited a general consensus that city officials believe whatever happens there is better than current industrial uses.  In the property owners' agreement with the city, special events parking is one of potential uses.  Perhaps the property will have transformational uses at some point down the road, but part of me envisions this being massive surface parking for the next 20 years. 

19 minutes ago, RANYC said:

According to today's edition of the CharlotteLedger, the Zoning Committee has dropped its opposition to the 55-acre Pipe & Foundry property rezoning petition.  There was one no vote.  Article cited a general consensus that city officials believe whatever happens there is better than current industrial uses.  In the property owners' agreement with the city, special events parking is one of potential uses.  Perhaps the property will have transformational uses at some point down the road, but part of me envisions this being massive surface parking for the next 20 years. 

Is that last sentence sarcasm? 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Is that last sentence sarcasm? 

See excerpt from the article below.  Wasn't being sarcastic.  Provision states "temporary special event parking as a principal use."  I don't think that's what the property will end up as, but I could see a situation where that gets invoked and this is surface parking for quite some time into the future, until a development agreement with the city gets worked out...for a new stadium or whatever else.  These things seem to move quite slowly here, but I could be wrong.

The agreement with the city lists many possible uses, including apartments and office space. It also provides an option to “include a sports/entertainment complex with a maximum of 250 residential units and 500,000 square feet of non-residential uses.” Another provision of the rezoning allows for “temporary special event parking as a principal use” … which sounds like something you might want if you were planning to, say, hold occasional pro football games in front of 70,000 people.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Owners' Plans for Football Entertainment Districts (Jacksonville versus Charlotte)

In Jacksonville, FL to visit the parents for the holidays.  

Like Tepper, Jaguars owner Shad Khan is also looking to "activate" the urban area around Jacksonville's Football stadium with an entertainment district.  

Khan got Jacksonville to approve $114 million for a luxury hotel property on the city's riverfront!  Almost fell out of my seat when I read this.  Like, is equity even on the radar down here.  Seems so out of sync with today's zeitgeist.  A massive public package for a luxury hotel with fairly wealthy guests?

Would Charlotte Ever?

Am I correct in thinking such an incentives package would get laughed out of the room in Charlotte?  Public contribution aside, is Tepper also thinking along these lines for what an entertainment district close to a stadium looks like?  Are all the owners pulling entertainment ideas from the same playbook?  Never stayed at a Four Seasons, and while it will make for a lovely property on a lovely river, it seems pretty lame as the centerpiece of an urban entertainment district.  

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – The Downtown Investment Authority on Wednesday voted unanimously to approve $114 million in incentives to help bring Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shad Khan’s vision of a Four Seasons hotel and other amenities along the St. Johns River to life.

“We have shown that we think this is really a good project for the city,” Downtown Investment Authority CEO Lori Boyer said. “Collectively the new park space and the new development is really the best way to activate the waterfront. I have a lot of confidence in Iguana [Investments] as the developer that they will actually break ground and get it built.”

The plans for the sprawling $400 million project, which Khan will contribute $301 million to, will now have to be approved by the city council before moving forward with construction.

Edited by RANYC

6 hours ago, RANYC said:

Owners' Plans for Football Entertainment Districts (Jacksonville versus Charlotte)

Like Tepper, Jaguars owner Shad Khan is also looking to "activate" the urban area around Jacksonville's Football stadium with an entertainment district.  

Khan got Jacksonville to approve $114 million for a luxury hotel property on the city's riverfront!  Almost fell out of my seat when I read this.  Like, is equity even on the radar down here.  Seems so out of sync with today's zeitgeist.  A massive public package for a luxury hotel with fairly wealthy guests?

Would Charlotte Ever?

Am I correct in thinking such an incentives package would get laughed out of the room in Charlotte?  Public contribution aside, is Tepper also thinking along these lines for what an entertainment district close to a stadium looks like?  Are all the owners pulling entertainment ideas from the same playbook?  Never stayed at a Four Seasons, and while it will make for a lovely property on a lovely river, it seems pretty lame as the centerpiece of an urban entertainment district.  

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – The Downtown Investment Authority on Wednesday voted unanimously to approve $114 million in incentives to help bring Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shad Khan’s vision of a Four Seasons hotel and other amenities along the St. Johns River to life.

“We have shown that we think this is really a good project for the city,” Downtown Investment Authority CEO Lori Boyer said. “Collectively the new park space and the new development is really the best way to activate the waterfront. I have a lot of confidence in Iguana [Investments] as the developer that they will actually break ground and get it built.”

The plans for the sprawling $400 million project, which Khan will contribute $301 million to, will now have to be approved by the city council before moving forward with construction.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/09/20/campaign-begins-for-convention-hotel-in.html

Edited by JBS
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, JBS said:

ah, interesting.

At least the proposed Charlotte hotel is linked to the convention center.  In Jax's case, Khan's proposed hotel is far from the city's convention center, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are plans to bring the convention to the river and probably adjacent to the site of a new four seasons.

10 hours ago, RANYC said:

I think thats a high number too, but Jacksonville is really trying to repair its image and rebrand as a luxurious retirement and travel destination. I think its a relatively high cost, but DT Jax needs all the help it can get and the plans from Kahn are pretty impressive.  

There isn't a nice hotel in DT Jax. The Hyatt is a rundown dump at this point. 

16 hours ago, RANYC said:

Would Charlotte Ever?

Not sure why you think it'd get laughed out of the room. This is how convention hotels are built. 33.3% taxes, 33.3% debt 33.3% equity. This will happen in Charlotte too, and has almost happened a number of times.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, TheRealClayton said:

Not sure why you think it'd get laughed out of the room. This is how convention hotels are built. 33.3% taxes, 33.3% debt 33.3% equity. This will happen in Charlotte too, and has almost happened a number of times.

This hotel has not been billed as Jacksonville's Convention Center hotel, at least not yet.  It is the start of Shad Khan's attempt to revitalize the area around the stadium with entertainment, commercial and destination options.  While I don't think of Charlotte's stadium area as being depressed in the same way, I do question the wisdom of any city investing so much money in something like a Four Seasons without it complementing a city-owned asset like a Convention Center.  I mean, this Four Seasons will have 25 for-sale luxury condos as well...like government assistance for Four Seasons luxury condos too? 

The bill commits Khan to a minimum $301,057,548 development. Iguana says the project will have a 176-room Four Seasons with 25 for-sale luxury condominiums, a full-service spa and restaurant and a 157,027-square-foot, six-story, Class A office building. https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/jaguars-owner-shad-khans-four-seasons-proposal-headed-to-city-council

Very curious to know what Tepper Sports has in mind for an entertainment district in Charlotte - is it a signature luxury property full of amenities for hotel guests/patrons - is it Hard Rock Cafe type entertainment - is it a "Live" complex like in Kansas City - is it a general public amenity like an aquarium with adjoining uses?

Edited by RANYC

When (not if) sports betting is legal in NC, I'd love to see a sports book somewhere within his entertainment district.  I think that would be wildly popular and would help ensure long term success of the area.  Tepper has mentioned sports betting in NC several times so it's def on his radar.

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, go_vertical said:

I'm sorry, but there is pretty much nothing luxurious about Jacksonville.  Jacksonville Beach isn't all that bad, but the city of Jacksonville has been directionless for decades. Get off of almost any exit from I-95 in or around downtown and I promise the dominant thought in your head will be "I need to get the hell out of here". Even before covid downtown was dead and stagnant so it's most certainly on life support now. Every negative aspect that is discussed about our uptown is multiplied by a hundred down there and they absolutely didn't have any momentum providing light at the end of the tunnel before the pandemic. It really is a sad state of affairs. 

Jacksonville has a very nice climate, but it certainly needs redevelopment in order to become a place travelers would want to enjoy. If an NFL owner was my only lifeline to develop quickly, it would probably cost a premium to get kickstarted. 

It seems that, despite this guy's wishes, a new stadium will be built on this site.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/opinion/letters-to-the-editor/article256731462.html

Charlotte should say ‘no’ to a stadium and do this instead BY STAFF DECEMBER 26, 2021 4:30 AM

image.thumb.png.9e8b159820bf36635a79d2cb690154d2.pngRead more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/opinion/letters-to-the-editor/article256731462.html#storylink=cpy