Jump to content

Charlotte Pipe &Foundry redevelopment


rockhilljames

Recommended Posts


Guys...a dome and retractable roof stadiums are two different things.  If we get a new stadium, it will be retractable roof, something like Arizona or Houston.  He  isn't building a Vikings type dome.   "If" he just wanted a new open air, smaller stadium, he is going to have a hard time getting the support and I would see that as a 15+ year project.  I still think we get a retractable roof stadium complete in 10 years or less.  He isn't getting any younger and wants to build his new home. 

I didn't see the mentions about the possibility of a soccer stadium at the existing practice fields.  I really like the idea though.  Would be cool if it could be our replacement for the amphitheater for summer concerts (but if a grass field, which is likely, that won't happen). 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Guys...a dome and retractable roof stadiums are two different things.  If we get a new stadium, it will be retractable roof, something like Arizona or Houston.  He  isn't building a Vikings type dome.   "If" he just wanted a new open air, smaller stadium, he is going to have a hard time getting the support and I would see that as a 15+ year project.  I still think we get a retractable roof stadium complete in 10 years or less.  He isn't getting any younger and wants to build his new home. 

I didn't see the mentions about the possibility of a soccer stadium at the existing practice fields.  I really like the idea though.  Would be cool if it could be our replacement for the amphitheater for summer concerts (but if a grass field, which is likely, that won't happen). 

I too like idea of the separate MLS stadium that can turn into an outdoor concert venue as well. But like you said, not likely if they go grass which I'm sure they would. I just hate going up to PNC Music Pavillion. On top of the fact it's all the way up by the CMS race track, it's a nightmare to get in and out of.  I used to go there for most any band I was half way interested in. Now, unless it's a band or festival I'm dying to see I usually take a pass. I'm also not in my 20s anymore either lol 

Regarding a new stadium, Tepper (and the city) is only building a new one if it has some kind of roof on it. Retractable roof is different than a dome. That's where he'd go and I'd still expect some movement on it this decade. Also, I think that would eliminate the idea of a separate MLS stadium too. Like it or not, it's an easier sell for public funds when it has multiple uses.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, HopHead said:

I too like idea of the separate MLS stadium that can turn into an outdoor concert venue as well. But like you said, not likely if they go grass which I'm sure they would. I just hate going up to PNC Music Pavillion. On top of the fact it's all the way up by the CMS race track, it's a nightmare to get in and out of.  I used to go there for most any band I was half way interested in. Now, unless it's a band or festival I'm dying to see I usually take a pass. I'm also not in my 20s anymore either lol 

Same. It's a complete nightmare getting out of.  Multiple times I have wanted to go see a show and then I like, "nah...won't get home before midnight".  Last time I was at a sold out show, I couldn't even get out my parking spot for 75 minutes, let alone out the park lot.  For a Panthers game, I can be home in 30-35min after I get in my car (and my house is a normal 25min commute). 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

It might mean a sale is imminent, and that piece of property is part of it. 

Why though if all the PF land is zoned the same (I-2)? Wouldn’t all the parcels need to MUDD-something?  I have no idea however so it’s a genuine question. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Why though if all the PF land is zoned the same (I-2)? Wouldn’t all the parcels need to MUDD-something?  I have no idea however so it’s a genuine question. 

IDK about current zoning,  but since none of the land has any direct neighbors other than NS I can't imagine rezoning the whole thing would be difficult or contentious. Donwnzoning from Industrial is also generally straightforward. 

Whatever ends up there will smell better than it does now.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.