Charlotte Pipe &Foundry redevelopment

rockhilljames

I am sad to report a death in our family. The tree that graced the Pipe and foundry office  and may have been on the property since Thomas Polk farmed the area in the late 1700's is no more. The tree was to the right of the ground lighting fixture. Look closely and one can detect the slight elevated mound in a ring and the new grass.

A maintenance man was lifting the flag from the front door during the misty rain (you can see him in white shirt in photo near rear right of building) and he told me of the passing of the grand dame. The Dowd family had done all it could to save the tree and an arborist said it was diseased and its size and weight made it a risk to remain so 2-3 months ago it was removed. My wife said that if it was the most valuable tree in the county now which one is #1? Valuable means it adds value to a property. Fine specimens in their natural habitat are imposing but this is about trees that have grandeur in a location that is enhanced by their presence. Recommendations, Anyone?

I said it was worth a trip so decided to make the visit. 

edit: compare my view to the one above which does not quite capture the full scope of that tree. Big difference.

IMG_0697.thumb.JPG.f5971c123b08aec8681c6166ddd7aed1.JPG

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Sad 4

6 hours ago, J-Rob said:

Looks like Charlotte Pipe & Foundry is continuing to prepare for their big move.  They acquired more property next to their headquarters on Randolph Rd, plus the old furniture store on Providence. I am genuinely curious what they have planned for the furniture store on Providence. Just extra office space? I guess if they have sales and/or admin in office space at the Uptown Panthers location, this would be a good place for them to go. It's not far from their HQ on Randolph, but not exactly across the street either. Side note: I have always loved their HQ on Randolph.  It is a beautiful building. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2021/12/28/charlotte-pipe-foundry-picks-up-two-properties.html

Randolph HQ

CPF.thumb.PNG.b91c0469bc755dac525be298bbf512f7.PNG

Its an innovation lab/center at the Furniture Store.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I wonder if we can get a Pittsburgh born billionaire interested in this new "Iron District"

This land is also the site of the old St. Catherine Gold Mine. It should still be considered part of the Gold District.  An incredibly missed opportunity either way if they don't attach some history to it..... more than just a stupid marker

Edited by Windsurfer
grammar
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I wonder if we can get a Pittsburgh born billionaire interested in this new "Iron District"

So I guess Charlotte Pipe is trying to chase up Tepper's bid on the land? Kinda suggests that there is not already an agreement in place (that has been suggested elsewhere).

1 hour ago, kermit said:

So I guess Charlotte Pipe is trying to chase up Tepper's bid on the land? Kinda suggests that there is not already an agreement in place (that has been suggested elsewhere).

If Tepper bought it now, he would be significantly reducing his leverage with the city/state on subsidies (I would think). I still crack up about Concord believing Bruton Smith would move his track (races maybe, the track never).

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JBS said:

If Tepper bought it now, he would be significantly reducing his leverage with the city/state on subsidies (I would think). I still crack up about Concord believing Bruton Smith would move his track (races maybe, the track never).

This is a good point.  However, Tepper will need to have some land available to him in order to chase any available subsidies. This doesn't mean he needs to own the land, but I would think he would need to have a purchase agreement / option already in place before the negotiations start. 

I am just surprised that Charlotte Pipe went to the trouble to make a marketing video for the property, I wouldn't thing  they would go to this trouble if they had a solid sales agreement in place w Tepper already.

Edited by kermit

4 minutes ago, go_vertical said:

I really like the idea of this land becoming an entertainment district.  A new stadium (with never-blocked signage to cars passing by) wedged in between 277 and 77 would work out really well where office and residential wouldn't be the most desirable.  Have bars, shops, and restaurants along Morehead with dense residential bleeding north along McNinch, Cedar, and Eldridge.  The removal of BofA stadium would help facilitate the rebuilding of the street grid in the area and also provide growing room for the success that is the southern tip of uptown. 

The land south of 77 would be perfect for another large scale attraction such as an aquarium adjacent to the 277/77 interchange.  Just improve the connectivity underneath the highway and place a garage for events just outside of 277 with easy access for cars thus minimizing the need for out of town visitors to use surface roads.  This would also give the Gold District more room to grow and provide some solid attractions and customers for area businesses. 

I just think this stretch of land is perfect for large scale developments without disrupting the fabric of the central core too much. 

Love the aquarium idea! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JBS said:

Looks good. Assume the aquarium will be in the Coral District (TM)?

But seriously, there needs to be a hotel tower next to the stadium (with the aforementioned bars/restaurants below). We need somewhere for ESPN to host the Super Bowl  from...

Thanks a lot....now anything they propose will disappoint me. 

Blame Calatrava...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, go_vertical said:

I did a very quick and dirty to hopefully illustrate what I was trying to describe.  Not a fun task on mobile.  Ha.  

Stadium in black and aquarium in blue.  The two red spots would be parking decks with the teal being entertainment, retail, bars, and restaurants.  Although difficult and expensive to do the two green lines would be pedestrian pathways underneath 277.

_20220105_163133.JPG

Pretty cool. Throw in some high rise apartments and condos above the retail/entertainment spaces and I'd be sold.

• Like 1

I did a very quick and dirty to hopefully illustrate what I was trying to describe.  Not a fun task on mobile.  Ha.  
Stadium in black and aquarium in blue.  The two red spots would be parking decks with the teal being entertainment, retail, bars, and restaurants.  Although difficult and expensive to do the two green lines would be pedestrian pathways underneath 277.
http://content.invisioncic.com/x329420/monthly_2022_01/_20220105_163133.thumb.JPG.090daede6ca1e65178629d1602268219.JPG

Me secretly hoping something fails (uneventfully) on Belk so that when they talk about fixing it, people just opt to get rid of it altogether. But! It shouldn’t even get to that point…but… ; )

From the Charlotte Ledger this morning 

""We’re picking up vibes that Tepper’s people have been saying they aren’t interested in paying market price for the Charlotte Pipe property. It’s unclear whether that means they don’t see that land as the site of a future stadium, or whether they’d prefer the city buy that land as part of some deal. (The city has been working on an ongoing deal with Tepper for more than two years.)

The Charlotte Pipe & Foundry land appears to be on the market. Chip Mark of Mark Real Estate Advisors, who represents Charlotte Pipe, declined to comment. His company’s website has a slick marketing video highlighting the property, which is being called “The Iron District.”

A Charlotte Pipe spokesman told The Ledger that there is no deal to sell the property. It’s unusual to rezone a property without a buyer lined up, but the rezoning gives any future buyer flexibility.

Tepper’s purchase of those four parcels seems to indicate he wants to do something bigger in the area surrounding the current stadium. He has previously mused about plans for an “entertainment district.”""

all very interesting.... nothing is for certain on anything yet.   In terms of a stadium costing over $1 Billion I am not sure how much public dollars I would support.  Since a domed stadium might be off the table I contend we work with what we have and constantly improve it.   And $1 Billion is probably cheap I dont even know how high this can go in terms of cost.  

• Like 2

Yeah, nowadays it seems the starting price for a run of the mill stadium hovers around one billion.  If someone is looking to make a statement architecturally and have all the bells and whistles you can easily add three to four hundred million to that. 

Edit:

Mercedes Benz Stadium in Atlanta was 1.6 billion. 

Edited by go_vertical
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

http://content.invisioncic.com/x329420/monthly_2022_01/_20220105_163133.thumb.JPG.090daede6ca1e65178629d1602268219.JPG

I entertained your idea a little bit…

2cde3a66d5c012e0fac2fcd224a3f4c2.jpg
  • Like 4