Charlotte Pipe &Foundry redevelopment

rockhilljames

My point was that aside from the hotel situation (remember them docking a cruise ship in order to have enough rooms?) the most common complaint was the complete lack of things for visitors to do that didn't require a rental car and a ton of driving.  I'm sure the NFL looks back at that year as an example of what not to do.  So yes, while making a crazy amount of money with ticket sales and hotel revenue is a focal point having the fans head back home and telling everyone, "I spent an absurd amount of money but had a blast and would do it again" is something they want too. 

Indianapolis comes to mind of how they successfully utilize their dome throughout the year with all the stuff that was mentioned above. Similar sized city and they host many events and conventions without a major attractions that places like LA, New Orleans, etc provide. A dome can be successful in Charlotte. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blue_Devil said:

I am for a new state of the art stadium, because for the next 10 years after it is built, we are going to get at least 1 Superbowl, 1 NCAA Mens Basketball final 4, a metric ton of college national games. It will turn Charlotte into the Southern City for Football, since Atlanta can't seem to figure that out. Add the ACC HQ here, and you might additional tv station news centers. around it. The stadium will bring in a lot of national investment. 

That said, its not worth it to the individual tax payer. It is worth it for the cities national recognition, and additional investment it will bring. 

Just wondering, how is it that “Atlanta can’t seem to figure it out”?

On 2/9/2022 at 1:39 PM, R.Talbott said:

Just wondering, how is it that “Atlanta can’t seem to figure it out”?

Exactly. Atlanta has had an Olympics, and has TNT's national NBA coverage. The Final Four that was supposed to be during covid (and 4 before) and 3 Super Bowls, the National Championship in football in 2017, a New Years day bowl (and playoff games every 3 years), last year's NBA All Star game and 2 other NBA all star game, last year's MLB all star game and 2 others and last year's World Series and 4 others.  Plus future World Cup site (possibly semi Final and TV HQ), and hosts the Fed Ex cup championship in golf.

I would say only NY, LA, Chicago, Miami have that type of track record.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Exactly. Atlanta has had an Olympics, and has TNT's national NBA coverage. The Final Four that was supposed to be during covid (and 4 before) and 3 Super Bowls, the National Championship in football in 2017, a New Years day bowl (and playoff games every 3 years), last year's NBA All Star game and 2 other NBA all star game, last year's MLB all star game and 2 others and last year's World Series and 4 others.  Plus future World Cup site (possibly semi Final and TV HQ), and hosts the Fed Ex cup championship in golf.

I would say only NY, LA, Chicago, Miami have that type of track record.

I meant their new Stadium... Which upon further research seems to be mostly due to Covid related issues killing its momentum. 

• 4 weeks later...

^ Yea, this is really interesting timing. The Washington Football Club (Commanders) are in the process of getting what could be a literal blank check from the state of Virginia for a new greenfield facility out in the distant burbs. I know many here have dismissed the possibility of a far-suburban site for a new stadium, the economics are making the possibility tough to ignore.  The turn of events in Rock Hill, if it lingers, may force Tepper to stay in Uptown (or maybe just spend more on contract lawyers)

13 minutes ago, kermit said:

^ Yea, this is really interesting timing. The Washington Football Club (Commanders) are in the process of getting what could be a literal blank check from the state of Virginia for a new greenfield facility out in the distant burbs. I know many here have dismissed the possibility of a far-suburban site for a new stadium, the economics are making the possibility tough to ignore.  The turn of events in Rock Hill, if it lingers, may force Tepper to stay in Uptown (or maybe just spend more on contract lawyers)

I mean, if Tepper is really serious about an Entertainment District, the economics of all of this do not support a suburban stadium. Practice facilities sure, offices sure, but not the actual games. That said, if Fort Mill says no, we are not paying for what ever reason, Tepper will likely go scorched earth sue, and build everything in uptown and SouthEnd. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JeanClt said:

What are they going to do? Dismantle, pick up their steel beam with some concrete, and leave? I wonder how this will play out…

Probably not, but Tepper has shown that he is happy to spend millions to say FU to folks who have pissed him off:

I sorta doubt that the city of Rock Hill has pissed Tepper off this much, but I will never fail to be amused by this story.

image.png.1e7630aba3716e217301cd9259b7c6d3.png

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kermit said:

^ Yea, this is really interesting timing. The Washington Football Club (Commanders) are in the process of getting what could be a literal blank check from the state of Virginia for a new greenfield facility out in the distant burbs.

That's interesting. They're existing stadium is also far out and a mile walk from the nearest station.  One of the worst situated stadiums I've been to.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, CLT Development said:

There was never a scenario where Charlotte helped fund both a HQ and a stadium. He's divided and conquered. I've been hearing of Rock Hill's buyers remorse for about 6 months, so I'm surprised it took this long. When push comes to shove, it'll continue construction, this was a "don't fudge with me" move.

It'll start back once they start making payments again. Tepper has the upper hand, he just made an entire town look inept in the media, its a power move.

The economics of it require HQ in South Carolina getting subsidies from Rock Hill and Gov. McMaster, and additional subsidies in Charlotte to build a Stadium and entertainment complex, complete with 1.5M sq feet of office, 200K of retail, 1000 residential units, 1200 hotel rooms, convention space and a new concert venue/amphitheater. He's double dipping, something very few teams have the opportunity to do.

Whoa wait a second... So this new entertainment complex has an amphitheater as a part of the plans? As in something on the scale of PNC Pavillion? I would love to never have to make the trek up to north Charlotte to see a band again. 

13 hours ago, Desert Power said:

That's interesting. They're existing stadium is also far out and a mile walk from the nearest station.  One of the worst situated stadiums I've been to.

FedEx Field is far and away the absolute worst NFL (or football in general) experience imaginable. Absolutely nothing up that way, pain to get in and out of and the stadium is literally falling apart. 

11 minutes ago, HopHead said:

Whoa wait a second... So this new entertainment complex has an amphitheater as a part of the plans? As in something on the scale of PNC Pavillion? I would love to never have to make the trek up to north Charlotte to see a band again. 

I don't believe it's quite to the scale of PNC but what I've seen definitely includes an amphitheater. But remember it's still very early in the process, Tepper doesn't even own all the land yet.

18 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

I don't believe it's quite to the scale of PNC but what I've seen definitely includes an amphitheater. But remember it's still very early in the process, Tepper doesn't even own all the land yet.

So the entertainment district delivery date is roughly on the timetable with the Silver Line would you all say?

• Haha 3

IMO, Charlotte already has an “entertainment district” type development and it is called Epicenter. 

It had a bowling alley, Movie theatre, plenty of night places, there was a clothing store, it’s connected to Light Rail, Bus hub, Streetcar stop, over street mall, in the heart of the city beside an NBA arena that hosted the Charlotte checkers (but I think they moved to the chicken coop on Independence).

A further expansion could be done towards CTC redevelopment but the site itself has plenty of opportunity. 

If an “entertainment district” isn’t working out at the epicenter, it’s hard to imagine one beside a football stadium at the pipe land would be more lovely or vibrant? I’m very skeptical of football/sports entertainment district developments. The current location is nice. So long as the developments around the current stadium have solid ground level activation, it’s already in a place with better “entertainment district” opportunity anyway. Romare Park, Latta, Ink & Ivy, allegedly we are told the Legscy Union project won’t be complete doo doo, roof top bars in the area. Etc. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

IMO, Charlotte already has an “entertainment district” type development and it is called Epicenter. 

It had a bowling alley, Movie theatre, plenty of night places, there was a clothing store, it’s connected to Light Rail, Bus hub, Streetcar stop, over street mall, in the heart of the city beside an NBA arena that hosted the Charlotte checkers (but I think they moved to the chicken coop on Independence).

A further expansion could be done towards CTC redevelopment but the site itself has plenty of opportunity. 

If an “entertainment district” isn’t working out at the epicenter, it’s hard to imagine one beside a football stadium at the pipe land would be more lovely or vibrant? I’m very skeptical of football/sports entertainment district developments. The current location is nice. So long as the developments around the current stadium have solid ground level activation, it’s already in a place with better “entertainment district” opportunity anyway. Romare Park, Latta, Ink & Ivy, allegedly we are told the Legscy Union project won’t be complete doo doo, roof top bars in the area. Etc. 

Regarding the Epicentre, I agree completely. The design is not perfect but workable. The location is great except for the adjacent CTC (which becomes an asset if redeveloped). The biggest impediment to success is perception of it as unsafe. It's fixable and should be fixed. We all want more retail Uptown and this is sitting there waiting to be occupied. Somebody with enough smarts and money can make this work. 

• Like 1